A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Two comfortable wins for the 2nds today. A number of good performances hopefully reflecting some depth in the squad. On the BBC website Warwickshire have a current squad of 29 players!
By glamman
After a week off for the 1st XI I expected to see a big turn out for clubs today from Glamorgan players.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:58 pm After a week off for the 1st XI I expected to see a big turn out for clubs today from Glamorgan players.
Who did ' marvellous ' Marnus turn out for ? Or is he exempt from playing with the plebs ? ☺
By glamman
17 players allocated with 3 clubs just having the one player - St Fagans, Newport and Neath. The players to turn out yesterday were Selman, Smith, Taylor, Carey, Weighell, Sisodiya, McIlroy and Walker. Noone for Ammanford or Bridgend. Not sure why Joe Cooke did not play for Bridgend. Hardly spent a lot of time in the middle and surely Selman must come in on Thursday.
Maybe some of the 1st team will get some T20 practice tomorrow in the 2s game? Otherwise a long gap between playing. Not as though they have played that much anyway with the weather.
By Shamu
The capped players are on holiday for a week.
By Glamorganmorgan
Great to see Hogan get a new deal. Proved his class again this year after a tough 2020.
By Ger27
I think Hogan's extension means that there are now 13 players now under contract for next season:

David Lloyd
Marnus Labuschagne
Kiran Carlson
Billy Root
Colin Ingram
Chris Cooke
Alex Horton
Callum Taylor
Dan Douthwaite
James Weighell
Lukas Carey
Michael Hogan
Prem Sisodiya

Feel like getting Timm van der Gugten to sign a new contract should be a priority?
By glamman
Some good individual performances in the recent 2nd XI T20s but despite wins in the friendlies, there have been 2 losses in the two competitive games. They were beaten by a stand out performance from Brathwaite and then by some strong batting by Somerset yesterday. Looking at who is in line for the T20 team I can see the XI taking the field against Gloucs on the 10th as being:
Lloyd
Selman
Labuschagne
Ingram
Carlson
Cooke
Salter
Smith
TvdG
Walker/Hogan
Sisodiya

Personally I would rather have:
Lloyd
Selman
Ingram
Carlson
Cooke
Douthwaite/Taylor
Neser
Salter
Smith
TvdG
Sisodiya

Smith has opened twice in the recent T20s and scored a rapid 30 and 43. However Selman has also been scoring runs so think he will stay in the opener slot. The only thing that would change that is if they wanted to get Douthwaite in.
Last edited by glamman on Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:20 pm I think Hogan's extension means that there are now 13 players now under contract for next season:

David Lloyd
Marnus Labuschagne
Kiran Carlson
Billy Root
Colin Ingram
Chris Cooke
Alex Horton
Callum Taylor
Dan Douthwaite
James Weighell
Lukas Carey
Michael Hogan
Prem Sisodiya

Feel like getting Timm van der Gugten to sign a new contract should be a priority?
Agree. We have seamers in Walker and Carey but they aren't performing/trusted.
By glamman
Appears they do not want to risk Smith. A quick 20 from him today against an attack including Parnell. Not sure why Selman is not in the team for tomorrow as I have not seen anything from Cooke to tell me he is good enough. However if Selman is that much out of favour we could see Smith opening next Thursday. Allows Douthwaite to come in which I am sure Maynard would like.
By glamman
Hear are the contract situations as I understand things with the years players are currently under contract until:
TvdG 2021
Cullen 2021
Salter 2021
Smith 2021
Walker 2021
Selman 2021
Joe Cooke 2021
McIlroy 2021
Neser 2021
Weighell 2022
Ingram 2022
Carlson 2022
Root 2022
Labuschagne 2022
Taylor 2022
Carey 2022
Hogan 2022
Lloyd 2023
Sisodiya 2023
Chris Cooke 2023
Horton 2024
Douthwaite 2024

As has been pointed out, it would be good to get TvdG signed. But who else of the 9 who are out of contract at the end of the season? Questions like whether Horton is ready to be the back up to Cooke?
By Ger27
Hopefully Neser has enjoyed this year and will return as well! Very impressive this afternoon.

Need to look at the domestic market for an opener as well?
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:11 pm Hopefully Neser has enjoyed this year and will return as well! Very impressive this afternoon.

With regard to an opener, we have being saying that for I don't know how many years. They just aren't around. No batsman wants to be that brick wall when there are the attractions of T20 cricket.
By Sir_Wellsmote
yeah

seems about right regarding openers

was watching somerset and hampshire yesterday after we dispatched lancs

somerset have a real opener crisis....

they have promoted steven davies and eddie byrom to the role after lammonby failed to make any runs all season

kent also having troubles
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:11 pm Hopefully Neser has enjoyed this year and will return as well! Very impressive this afternoon.

Only have to look at the problems finding top 3 batsmen for the England Test team. Far too many shots being played to balls wide of the off stump.
T20 2021

We get underway in front of the cameras v Worcs on[…]

I don't get it. Last week 5pm start because the fl[…]

Gloucester 20/20

Went Bristol last night, we are so far behind the […]

T20

Couple of 2nd XI games today and tomorrow. Might b[…]