A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Nick_Glam
Lawlor and Szymanski deemed surplus to requirements.

Perhaps a bit of a surprise regarding Lawlor, but if they don't think he will ever make the grade then I guess they have to free up a little of the budget.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:45 pm Lawlor and Szymanski deemed surplus to requirements.

Perhaps a bit of a surprise regarding Lawlor, but if they don't think he will ever make the grade then I guess they have to free up a little of the budget.
The coaches/ management have to decide which of those players on the edge will be able to cross over into a regular 1st team place. Agree about Lawlor - he seemed to be moving in the right direction, but there are only 11 places in a team and we have too big a squad at present.

No word about Wagg. He is big mates with Maynard but I do not see him adding very much next season and his salary could be better used elsewhere.

Other players out of contract are Cullen, Taylor, McIlroy, De Lange, Selman and Morgan. I am not sure about Sisodiya.
I have not seen McIlroy as he has been playing for MCCUYCs so do not have any idea about his prospects. I do not see where Morgan fits in to the future but I assume the others will be kept.
By johnwales
What is the pay scale for these guys, and are they on 12 month contracts or just seasonal. Seems unfair that Glamorgan have to pay Colin Ingram whilst he is with the IPL and earning mega money, and running the risk of picking up an injury that could prevent his appearances for Glamorgan.
By glamman
johnwales wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:40 pm What is the pay scale for these guys, and are they on 12 month contracts or just seasonal. Seems unfair that Glamorgan have to pay Colin Ingram whilst he is with the IPL and earning mega money, and running the risk of picking up an injury that could prevent his appearances for Glamorgan.
As far as I aware they are paid for 12 months. I am sure Ingram's contract will reflect his white ball only status and the other commitments he has. I do not think you can ask a professional sportsman to not maximise his earning potential given the nature of the work and the limited period he does it for.
By glamman
I see Hameed has been released by Lancashire. I do not believe his cricket career is over so quickly after showing so much promise. I wonder if Glamorgan might look at him given our lack of openers.
lovecricket liked this
By johnwales
I agree with that comment Glamman, Hameed has plenty of potential and would be a top recruitment for Glamorgan. I guess part of this demise with Lancs is linked to him being unhappy with the environment. Glamorgan desperately need an opening batsman who can stick around and see off the fast bowlers. Since the announcement of his departure; Hameed has been left out of the team.
By Nick_Glam
I agree that ideally we will make more signings, but I wonder how much to read into the comment on the BBC website: "The large majority of the squad is likely to remain unchanged next season."
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:24 am I agree that ideally we will make more signings, but I wonder how much to read into the comment on the BBC website: "The large majority of the squad is likely to remain unchanged next season."
Predicting the blindingly obvious. The majority of players are always going to stay although we do need to shed a few players from what is too big a squad at present. That has started with Lawlor and Szymanski. Need to have a supply of seamers. Currently those are Hogan, TvdG, Carey, Smith, Douthwaite, Meschede who all have contracts until at least next year and De Lange, Wagg and McIlroy who would need renewals. I expect us to retain De Lange and as that only makes 7, probably also McIlroy. Wagg is the unknown and personally I would not keep him unless perhaps they see a role for him on the coaching side. That would however mean we are keeping a closed shop on that front.

In the spin department Salter has a contract for another 2 years. If they sign Patel I do not see any need to retain both Morgan and Sisodiya and I would expecte Morgan to lose out. Bull has just had back surgery and hopefully that will mean he can stay fit. He has a contract for another year. Certainly do not need 5 spinners and Morgan has failed to secure a spot as a batsman which I never expected him to do.

As always we are on the look out for top order batsmen and as already mentioned, Hameed looks attractive. However I am sure there are other counties who will be thinking the same way. It does not look like there are any obvious contenders coming from our academy. I keep hoping that Brown will push on. The other player needing to regain confidence is Carlson. He is embarking on his last year at Uni and hopefully when that is over we will see him playing more regular 1st team cricket.
By glamman
For those thinking De Lange should be released - it seems unlikely given he has just been awarded his county cap.

A name I had not heard before, who won the Academy player of the year award, was Sam Jardine. Good to see that he is a batsman but I do not know anything more.
lovecricket liked this
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 pm For those thinking De Lange should be released - it seems unlikely given he has just been awarded his county cap.

A name I had not heard before, who won the Academy player of the year award, was Sam Jardine. Good to see that he is a batsman but I do not know anything more.

Jardine - a very famous name in the world of cricket. Some would say, infamous.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:05 am In the spin department Salter has a contract for another 2 years. If they sign Patel I do not see any need to retain both Morgan and Sisodiya and I would expecte Morgan to lose out. Bull has just had back surgery and hopefully that will mean he can stay fit. He has a contract for another year. Certainly do not need 5 spinners and Morgan has failed to secure a spot as a batsman which I never expected him to do.

As always we are on the look out for top order batsmen and as already mentioned, Hameed looks attractive. However I am sure there are other counties who will be thinking the same way. It does not look like there are any obvious contenders coming from our academy. I keep hoping that Brown will push on. The other player needing to regain confidence is Carlson. He is embarking on his last year at Uni and hopefully when that is over we will see him playing more regular 1st team cricket.
If they sign Patel, bringing in a batsman may be a luxury the management feel we can't afford.

Our batting line-up would presumably be:

Selman
Hemphrey
Overseas
Lloyd
Root
Patel
Cooke

So I would expect it to be an either/or situation.
By Ger27
Nick_Glam wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:52 pm
glamman wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:05 am In the spin department Salter has a contract for another 2 years. If they sign Patel I do not see any need to retain both Morgan and Sisodiya and I would expecte Morgan to lose out. Bull has just had back surgery and hopefully that will mean he can stay fit. He has a contract for another year. Certainly do not need 5 spinners and Morgan has failed to secure a spot as a batsman which I never expected him to do.

If they sign Patel, bringing in a batsman may be a luxury the management feel we can't afford.

Our batting line-up would presumably be:

Selman
Hemphrey
Overseas
Lloyd
Root
Patel
Cooke

So I would expect it to be an either/or situation.
I imagine that de Lange is the highest earner at the club at the moment. I want to see him stay, but if the Budget is such that it would be a choice between de Lange or signing an opening batsman alongside an overseas batsman, I know what I'd be doing...
By glamman
Looking at the BBC website, which is fortunately more up to date than the Glamorgan one, we still have a squad of 24 players (including Ingram but not an overseas player). This seems excessive and still needs cutting.
By Nick_Glam
Yeah not a surprise, but he is a lucky boy. Hopefully the talk of him "developing and learning" might have some basis in reality. Can't say I've seen any sign of it so far. :mrgreen:
Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Glamorgan strategy

Just watched a film about Glamorgan's future strat[…]