A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:42 am
glamman wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:16 am
I would suggest finishing 4th is a big improvement.
Of course. But not enough to compete in Division One unless we strengthen considerably.
Depends what you mean by "compete"? I would not suggest we would win it but success tends to breed success with the ability to attract better England-qualified players and hold on to the likes of Labuschagne. With 10 teams in the top division we would have a chance of staying up and consolidating. Northants are going up and look what we did to them. It would be tough.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:01 am Depends what you mean by "compete"? I would not suggest we would win it but success tends to breed success with the ability to attract better England-qualified players and hold on to the likes of Labuschagne. With 10 teams in the top division we would have a chance of staying up and consolidating. Northants are going up and look what we did to them. It would be tough.
Hence my comment about strengthening considerably. ;)

Anyway, it's very unlikely to happen now so any theories are unlikely to be put to the test.
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:31 pm Hogan showing his class again with 3 of the first 5.

The contrast between his figures and those of de Lange tell one of the stories of the season.
Hogan is a class act. It's a pity we don't have some magic elixir that he could take to extend his career indefinitely. :)
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 am
Nick_Glam wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:31 pm Hogan showing his class again with 3 of the first 5.

The contrast between his figures and those of de Lange tell one of the stories of the season.
Hogan is a class act. It's a pity we don't have some magic elixir that he could take to extend his career indefinitely. :)
I am not sure he hasn't found some already. Every time I think he has lost a bit of nip he comes back strong.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:43 am
Vetchetarian wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:39 am

I am not sure he hasn't found some already. Every time I think he has lost a bit of nip he comes back strong.
Pureed laverbread could do the trick. :)
By Nick_Glam
Whoever would have thought when they drew up the fixture lists that playing games in the last week of September would lead to the decisive final games getting washed out! :doh:
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:57 pm Whoever would have thought when they drew up the fixture lists that playing games in the last week of September would lead to the decisive final games getting washed out! :doh:
Indeed, and who would have thought that our beloved Glamorgan would be in the thick of it, and being mentioned in dispatches. :)
By Nick_Glam
Well, the end of an interesting season.

I guess one of the only things that remains is for them to announce which of the dead wood will be getting pruned.
By Ger27
Will be interesting to see where Labuschagne ends up. Can imagine the likes of Gloucestershire trying to tempt him with Division 1 cricket.

I imagine de Lange has played his last game for Glamorgan?

Same may be true of Graham Wagg? I think he still has something to offer county cricket, but with the amount of bowling all-rounders we already have in the squad, may be difficult to justify a new contract for him?
By glamman
Ger27 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:38 am Will be interesting to see where Labuschagne ends up. Can imagine the likes of Gloucestershire trying to tempt him with Division 1 cricket.

I imagine de Lange has played his last game for Glamorgan?

Same may be true of Graham Wagg? I think he still has something to offer county cricket, but with the amount of bowling all-rounders we already have in the squad, may be difficult to justify a new contract for him?
I would be surprised if De Lange is not offered another contract given we have not seen any of the younger seamers in these final few games.
Agree about Wagg.
By hujon64
Always feel a bit sad at end of season as know colder weather and dark nights coming. However, if I’d been told in April that Glamorgan would be in with a chance of promotion and actually ended up 4th out of 10 I would have been amazed! Ups and downs and shorter games poor, but delighted with our massive improvement in 4 day game after humiliating performances at bottom last year. So well done to team and management - some shrewd signings and, hopefully, Labuschagne will have ‘bonded’ with our team and want to return! Interesting to see who goes and stays - would like to see Wagg get another year and retain Patel.
Glad we have rugby World Cup and international cricket coming up.
Thanks everyone for keeping me informed on here - much appreciated!
exileKT8 liked this
By psychocandy
Hope we keep Wagg. OK not the best any more but still a decent bowler and a good batsman....

One thing hes got going is he never gives up. More heart in him than a lot of them...
By djronnieb65
Another season ended and I have mixed feelings about the season just gone
Nice to see the improvement in our championship cricket although we have Marnus to thank for that
Without him I don’t think we would have been anywhere near thinking of promotion
Of the white ball the least said the better
Both 5o over and the T20 we were a disaster
Probably one of our worst ever seasons
We never at any stage of the two competitions did we look like qualifying
If you take everything into perspective based on all cricket played I would say it’s been a very poor season
However, there are some high spots
Some of our youngsters look very promising
Roman Walker I thought showed immense promise
Smith came back from injury and continued his improvement
Douthwaite looks likely to be our main all rounder
Karlson I Hope will re find the form of last season
I think his loss of form was caused by being overplayed last season
Lucas Carey is great when the ball is new but needs experience in bowling when the shine goes
I would not retain Wagg who at 35 now needs to be replaced by Douthwaite
Selman has improved so I would keep him
Cullen is good cover for Cooke
De lange is an enigma
He’s like Marmite either good or bad nothing in between
I would keep him because we don’t have anybody at the club to replace him
On the coaching side
I have had my say lots of times before about this subject
I still think we have too many ex Glammy players on the staff and I would love someone from outside to take over as coach
I’m not expecting a lot of change at Glamorgan and expect it to be the same old story next season if no Changes are made
Have a good winter everyone and let’s hope the bluebirds get promotion
By Bubbles
Any word on how the end of season forum went?
I agree that firstly coaches have to prove their worth. I have not heard on the grapevine that anyone is ripping up trees. Graham Wagg would probably make a good coach as he has something about. Did any of the coaches put their arms around some of the talented youngsters who lost their way? I feel and have heard that none of the coaches are inspirational and do just enough to get by.
Time for Wally to bare his teeth and rattle a few cages and unfortunately upset a few of his mates. Winter well lads and I keenly await the appointment of a new CEO for Cricket Wales where cricket first starts. :drunk: :clap: :shhh: :sleep: :evillaugh:
The first two players released

Lawlor and Szymanski deemed surplus to requirement[…]