A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By djronnieb65
I don’t think anybody on here thought at any time during this season that we would get promotion
Whilst Marnus was here however,we all thought could we or will we then Marnus left
We are an improvement on last season in the championship but not good enough for promotion not yet
I think Marnus inspired the rest of the team whilst he was here which makes me think what inspiration could come from a new coach from outside
We have some good promising players but whether they will develop into regular first teamers only time will tell
We won’t get promotion this season but the hope will be better again next season if we get a new coach in from outside
By psychocandy
I always hoped we didnt get promoted to be honest.

Yes we had a few good games - mainly because of Labuschagne but now., inc the T20, we're back to our default position.

We get hammered now - imagine if we somehow sneeked into the 1st division. We'd get games lasting 2 days all summer.
By glamman
Labuschagne provided what most other counties regularly get from their overseas players. We have just not been used to it for a number of years. I see progress and hopefully a couple of good performances in the last two games.
By Nick_Glam
There's certainly been some improvement this season and it's easy to forget just how bad we were last year.

I think the early season results maybe got people a little carried away as I think there was some suggestion that Root might have a chance of an England call up which was a touch ambitious.

I don't think there was ever going to be any quick fix as there are still obvious weaknesses to our batting and bowling. The fact that Hogan is still far and away our best bowler says a lot, for example.
By caergybi
Last few games team seems to be playing worse than last season and doesn't bode well. Apart from Labuschange, Root was also doing well in first half of season but now very average.

The team has also dropped off since Cooke came back as captain. Division Two will be a poor league next season with only eight teams but at least Root can have ago at the discarded him and look where that got them. Notts seem to be like England, only set up for the short game.
By Nick_Glam
caergybi wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:58 am Last few games team seems to be playing worse than last season and doesn't bode well. Apart from Labuschange, Root was also doing well in first half of season but now very average.
I don't think that's humanly possible. ;)

Let's not forget, for seven successive games last season our results were:

Lost by 233 runs
Lost by inns & 154 runs
Lost by inns & 30 runs
Lost by inns & 35 runs
Lost by 169 runs
Lost by 9 wickets
Lost by inns & 172 runs

Bad as the Worcs defeat was, it was (amazingly) not quite as bad as any of those results.
By Vetchetarian
caergybi wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:58 am Last few games team seems to be playing worse than last season and doesn't bode well. Apart from Labuschange, Root was also doing well in first half of season but now very average.

The team has also dropped off since Cooke came back as captain. Division Two will be a poor league next season with only eight teams but at least Root can have ago at the discarded him and look where that got them. Notts seem to be like England, only set up for the short game.
" The team has also dropped off since Cooke came back as captain. "

I agree, and posted several times decrying his return. My opinion met with a great deal of opposition hereabouts. So much so that I began to feel like ' the devil incarnate ', and a traitor , to boot. :)

After promising so much, Glam. are now en-route for the bottom of the pile - again.

But hey, what do I know ?
By hujon64
I agree with previous comments re improvement. Disappointed as we are with the last two games, this season has been a vast improvement on last year in the CC. The fact that we were going into the last few games with a chance of promotion shows that. Labuschagne was an excellent signing as has been Patel and Root has been very good at times. To expect to suddenly make ‘vast’ improvement in one season is unfair and I would certainly give Maynard the job for another year. Hopefully, Labuschagne will return and it will be interesting to see who is retained as the season ends. Our seconds have been excellent and there seem to be a few promising youngsters so I’m ever the optimist!
Nick_Glam liked this
By johnwales
I would give Maynard a five year contract !! Firmly believe in the saying * a team makes a coach , and not a coach makes a team *.
Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Glamorgan strategy

Just watched a film about Glamorgan's future strat[…]