A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Nick_Glam
Another decent knock from Selman and he has been one of the few positives from the T20 competition.

If he can continue this form into next season, it would like having a new signing in this form of the game.
exileKT8 liked this
By glamman
A super performance tonight by a team with 6 Welsh players who all contributed. Shame more people were not there to witness it. Not ideal having it on the same night as a Cardiff home game.
Hants had a lot of experienced international players and were still looking at qualifying so it was a proper test. Just a shame it has taken until now.
Superb catch by de Lange to dismiss Rossouw and then he dropped an easier one and seemed to pick up an injury at the same time. Fortunately we did not need him to bowl the last over as it was won by then and Lloyd came on and took a wicket.
A very good bowling performance spoilt by 4 no balls. Sisodiya bowling the 18th over could have gone either way but bowling Northeast with the first ball pretty well sealed things.
People have asked why Selman has not played more but it has to be said that we have not seen him play like this in previous seasons. Lloyd with another great knock and Cooke tidying up at the end.
One concern was the lack of quick fielders. Everyone put in a big effort but it was noticabale that Smith, Salter and Taylor were having to cover a lot of ground.
The players looked really up for it at the end and hopefully the enthusiasm and confidence will carry into the end of the season. Just a shame it is 11 days before the next match.
exileKT8 liked this
By djronnieb65
Fantastic performance by the whole team tonight
Why oh why has it taken 14 matches to record our first victory in this tournament
The team were really up for it tonight right from the start
Unfortunately I win in 14 is still awful but the way we won tonight was very gratifying
Very pleased with Roman Walker and he looks a fine prospect
Let’s hope he don’t get overplayed
Anyway let’s mle hay whilst the sun shines but we need to play like that every week before o get my hopes up
By Vetchetarian
" Super … fantastic performance ".

Hmmm ! Saving this "super, fantastic performance" for the very last game is not only insulting, it's a bit like opening up one of my arteries and applying a salted bandage to the wound. Not really impressed. But hey, that's me. I just don't impress too easily.
Tonight's win will undoubtedly paper over the cavernous T20 cracks, as Labuschagne's scoring feats did for the Championship team.
Overall, the team is in a poor place.

Just MY opinion, of course.
By Nick_Glam
My thoughts would be...

Labuschagne's heroics may well have given us the false hope of promotion, but even discounting his performances there has still been a huge improvement in the Championship. Last season our best domestic batsman was Lloyd with an average of 29. This year we have Cooke (averaging 40), Root (40), Selman (39), Hemphrey (32) and Lloyd (28). A big difference and a much more solid batting line-up.

One win from the T20 stuff isn't good enough, but I think our key players this year were going to be Marsh, Marsh and Ingram. To have two absent and one out of form scuppered us from the beginning. There are at least some positives to take with the form of Lloyd, Selman and Salter.

It hasn't been a great season by any means, but a big leap forward after last year.
By glamman
The problem now is the absence of Hemphrey and Marsh for the final Championship games. It seems to be being treated as a a surprise but surely the Australian season has been known for a while and that their contracts meant they would be going back? I asume the other counties are in a similar situation i.e Worcs without Ferguson.
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:05 am My thoughts would be...

Labuschagne's heroics may well have given us the false hope of promotion, but even discounting his performances there has still been a huge improvement in the Championship. Last season our best domestic batsman was Lloyd with an average of 29. This year we have Cooke (averaging 40), Root (40), Selman (39), Hemphrey (32) and Lloyd (28). A big difference and a much more solid batting line-up.

One win from the T20 stuff isn't good enough, but I think our key players this year were going to be Marsh, Marsh and Ingram. To have two absent and one out of form scuppered us from the beginning. There are at least some positives to take with the form of Lloyd, Selman and Salter.

It hasn't been a great season by any means, but a big leap forward after last year.
Tom Cullen stepped up to the plate substituting for Cooke in 7 matches. He sits THIRD in the Glam championship batting averages, with 43.43. In addition, he held 29 catches. He didn't figure in any short form matches.

Upon Cooke's return he was quickly jettisoned, and wasn't seen again. I wonder why that was ? Who did he upset ?

I think Cullen was treated rather shabbily. I thought so at the time, and my opinion hasn't changed.
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:36 am
Tom Cullen stepped up to the plate substituting for Cooke in 7 matches. He sits THIRD in the Glam championship batting averages, with 43.43. In addition, he held 29 catches. He didn't figure in any short form matches.

Upon Cooke's return he was quickly jettisoned, and wasn't seen again. I wonder why that was ? Who did he upset ?

I think Cullen was treated rather shabbily. I thought so at the time, and my opinion hasn't changed.
Yeah, he's another who has improved this season.

I don't really go along with conspiracy theories unless evidence is apparent though. Cooke was always going to return and they had to make a choice between dropping Cullen and one of the all-rounders.

Cullen may well get another chance for the remaining games I would guess.
By exileKT8
If there is no Hemphrey or Marsh then presumably both keepers will play as batting options will be limited.

Nothing personal against Marsh but his 3 year contract has been a disaster. One big hundred in a win at Gloucs, and then unavailable for a host of reasons. Only positive is that we got Labuschagne in his absence.
By glamman

You cannot play 12. Cooke is the number one choice keeper and captain. I have no problem with Cullen playing but would be at the expense of another batsman - who?
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:50 pm

You cannot play 12. Cooke is the number one choice keeper and captain. I have no problem with Cullen playing but would be at the expense of another batsman - who?
Well, since he had the second highest average of the batsmen, just take your pick. :)
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:18 pm

Well, since he had the second highest average of the batsmen, just take your pick. :)
Cooke came back for the Middx game. The batting line up was:
Selman
Hemphrey
Labuschagne
Lloyd
Root
Cooke
Douthwaite
Wagg
de Lange
Carey
Hogan

As I said at the time, the like for like change would have been Cullen for Lloyd - wasn't going to happen. If he had played instead of Douthwaite you have lost a bowler.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:22 pm

Selman
Hemphrey
Labuschagne
Lloyd
Root
Cooke
Douthwaite
Wagg
de Lange
Carey
Hogan

As I said at the time, the like for like change would have been Cullen for Lloyd - wasn't going to happen. If he had played instead of Douthwaite you have lost a bowler.
Lloyd did really well as a stand in captain, and Cullen as stand in w/keeper. The right thing, in my opinion, was to have told Cooke that he would have to wait for his return to the first team. That happens in sport when players get injured. Replacements often excel and are retained until they fail. Not so at Glam, which I think is the wrong way to go. But this has been done to death, and you and I will never agree on what should have happened.
By Nick_Glam
Cooke was always going to come back into the team and rightly so. It was also always going to be tough against Middlesex as they have better players than we do.

In the away game with Middlesex a couple of weeks earlier we had been completely outplayed and only saved by the weather and that was with Lloyd as captain.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm
glamman wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:22 pm

Selman
Hemphrey
Labuschagne
Lloyd
Root
Cooke
Douthwaite
Wagg
de Lange
Carey
Hogan

Lloyd did really well as a stand in captain, and Cullen as stand in w/keeper. The right thing, in my opinion, was to have told Cooke that he would have to wait for his return to the first team. That happens in sport when players get injured. Replacements often excel and are retained until they fail. Not so at Glam, which I think is the wrong way to go. But this has been done to death, and you and I will never agree on what should have happened.
Just for accuracy, at the time of selections for the Middx game, Cooke had a much higher Championship average for the season than Cullen - he had batted twice, scored 93 runs and not been out giving him an average of infinite. He did not appear on the list of averages for this reason.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]