A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Starting to think about who will take the field for us on Sunday. The timetable is just so bizarre with this game stuck within the T20s and then the next 4 day game not until 10 Sept with no cricket for Glamorgan for 11 days from 30/8.
A number of players to come back in and I am assuming that Hogan is being rested now until Sunday and is not injured. Will be interesting which bowlers play now that Smith is back. The team that played the last Championship match was:
Selman
Hemphrey
Labuschagne - like for like swap with Marsh
Lloyd
Root
Cooke
Douthwaite
Wagg
de Lange
Carey
Hogan

The question is wether Bull is fit after he bowled for his club last Saturday. It is probably too early for his return but without Labuschagne we need a spinner. I assume therefore that it will be between Salter and Sisodiya. I also assume Smith will play so the question is then who to leave out? I am assuming Hogan is fit. Then it depends on how much batting is thought to be needed. They could leave out one of Carey or De Lange and one of Wagg or Douthwaite. I would prefer to leave out Wagg as I am not sure he has the penetration of the others. Douthwaite remains problematic as a bowler but if both are left out and especially if Sisodiya plays ahead of Salter, the tail is long. An interesting conundrum for Maynard.
My guess:
Selman
Hemphrey
Marsh
Lloyd
Root
Cooke
Douthwaite
Smith
de Lange
Sisodiya
Hogan
I would play Sisodiya on the basis that in Lancs last 4 day game only one of their top 7 batsmen was left handed. If we were brave we would play Carey in place of Douthwaite. Smith is capable of batting 7 but it is a long tail.
Hopefully we will be able to put in a better performance than the Middx game and the T20s.
By Nick_Glam
The weather forecast isn't all that great for the first couple of days, but should still get a decent amount of cricket in (albeit the forecast may well change before then).

As for the team, I think part of our relative success this season has been based on having all rounders at 7 and 8 so that should continue. If Salter had scored any runs at all this season he could be considered there, but as his batting seems to have gone backwards it probably is a simple choice of two from Wagg, Douthwaite and Smith.

Wagg probably offers a lot more than just runs and wickets so it wouldn't surprise me if he kept his place.
By glamman
Agree about the energy Wagg gives. Watching the T20 on Sunday it was pathetic the way the likes of Ingram and Zaman just ambled between the wickets rather than try and put pressure on the fielders and turn ones into twos. Just basic. Wagg alongside Smith and to some extent Douthwaite and Cooke raised the intensity.
I think Smith will play.
By Nick_Glam
Surprisingly little rainfall in North Wales and a good forecast now for the next few days.

I'm expecting a very tough game (or, in other words, a defeat) against Lancashire. :)
By glamman
Forecast looks OK for CB. Maybe the odd drop of rain. Hopefully we can get back to winning ways. No announcement yet of who is travelling. Not sure if Hogan fit. Might know more when we see who is playing for their clubs today.
By glamman
Didn't see that coming - just announced we have signed Samit Patel for the remaining Championship games including tomorrow. Bit of a vote of no confidence in the likes of Bull and Sisodiya. Obviously provides a replacement for Labuschagne.
By glamman
Patel covers the spin option. Then becomes a choice between Wagg and Smith assuming Hogan is fit. I would go with Smith:
Selman
Hemphrey
Marsh
Lloyd
Root
Patel
Cooke
Smith
de Lange
Carey
Hogan

Strong batting line up.
By Nick_Glam
It's the signing that some fans have asked for and have to give credit for them spending a bit of cash on his wages.

I can't say that I've followed his progress recently, but it does add balance to the side.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:17 pm It's the signing that some fans have asked for and have to give credit for them spending a bit of cash on his wages.

I can't say that I've followed his progress recently, but it does add balance to the side.
Certainly strengthens the batting with Cooke potentially coming in at 7.
By hujon64
Wow, Patel? Didn’t see that coming but what a signing and able to play tomorrow. Well done to MW, MM and HM. The line up looks pretty good for Colwyn Bay and I don’t see it as a lack of confidence in the youngsters. No point in rushing them into a side which is pushing for promotion and plenty of opportunities in the future. They could also learn such a lot from him, which is another plus. Come on Glammy!
johnwales liked this
By glamman
No De Lange in the squad so, assuming it isn’t a dust bowl, I would expect Salter to miss out and then it is between Douthwaite and Wagg. With Smith coming in at 9 there is a long batting line up. However have to try and take 20 wickets.
Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]

T20 signing for 2020

Nabi back for Kent next season for the Blast - bri[…]

The first two players released

Lawlor and Szymanski deemed surplus to requirement[…]

Maynard new 3 year deal

Maynard staying on as coach. Matthew Maynard: Gl[…]