A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Bubbles
Unfortunately in my lifetime Cricket Wales has been run by people that have not been able to leave a legacy for cricket development. Cricket development officers were regarded as not up to the mark in most cases and the progress of junior cricket left to those at club level to drive directives home. Most projects come directly from the ECB with little thought given to the bespoke model we have in Wales. The current incumbent is an ex Sport Wales employee so knows what buttons to press with little thought for those who actually run cricket day to day. Again I repeat an independent review should be made raising many issues uncovered by clubs and regional teams to come up with answers to the many failings currently happening. In a lot of cases people may not be prepared to put their head above the parapet for fear of taking an arrow. A lot of people will say nothing as their " little John or Jenny" may suffer as a result. I have seen surveys carried on Cricket Wales websites and most of the people who reply hold positions within the Cricket Wales organisation so hardly independent. :no: :no: :no:
By glamman
Am amazed that the Welsh Fire (if that is going to be the name) have chosen Ingram. He's been woeful for over 12 months and there must be some better options. Is it just about marketing and the thought he is the best pick from the local team? Cannot see him pulling the crowds in given his limited availability for Glamorgan in recent years and the poor performance in the T20 this year.
By Vetchetarian
  • w
glamman wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:24 pm Am amazed that the Welsh Fire (if that is going to be the name) have chosen Ingram. He's been woeful for over 12 months and there must be some better options. Is it just about marketing and the thought he is the best pick from the local team? Cannot see him pulling the crowds in given his limited availability for Glamorgan in recent years and the poor performance in the T20 this year.
'Welsh Fire '. Hmmmmm. How do cricket fans from across the Severn Estuary view that name ? Western Wonders would be more appropriate, I think.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:09 pm
  • w
glamman wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:24 pm Am amazed that the Welsh Fire (if that is going to be the name) have chosen Ingram. He's been woeful for over 12 months and there must be some better options. Is it just about marketing and the thought he is the best pick from the local team? Cannot see him pulling the crowds in given his limited availability for Glamorgan in recent years and the poor performance in the T20 this year.
'Welsh Fire '. Hmmmmm. How do cricket fans from across the Severn Estuary view that name ? Western Wonders would be more appropriate, I think.
Vic Marks wasn't impressed.
By LankyShark
But they aren’t interested in cricket fans from across the Severn or even cricket fans on your side of it.

They want new people and what better way to ensure rivalry than to put a Welsh team into an English competition.

I know there already is one, but that’s a cricket team with decent and normal cricket fans.

This is for the rabble.
By TWrex
'This is for the rabble', a warm welcome from the cricket family, perhaps 'This is not for the purist' would be better. This new competition doesn't float my boat, but the target audience is supposed to be young families, so hopefully will not be so booze driven as a good few seem to be for 20/20. Full of unhealthy sponsors snacks maybe, but not alcohol. It does confuse me that the playing conditions being changed are to make the game simpler to a new audience , but I don't think it will be any easier to explain to newcomers than 20/20. What might be confusing is then explaining the differences to those newcomers should they gain an interest in other forms of the game. Many activities can seem complicated at a first look, but basics can soon be picked up and the niceties learnt with more experience. I suppose the ECB hope it succeeds and spreads so they profit from the rights to make up for missing out with 20/20.
By Bubbles
It would be interesting to see who is the target market for "the Welsh Fire" is.
If the powers that be have done their homework they will see that a very high percentage of people that buy tickets for international matches in Cardiff do not come from Wales.
I personally think that if the new tournament is not run under Glamorgan's auspices it may well be a good way to take cricket to a new audience. As this forum shows we are a very fickle bunch who do not like change with self interest high on our list.
I say sit tight and try to look at cricket through crickets' eyes and not the narrow minded "one eye" that is continually displayed.

We must expect change and learn to accept it to move the game forward. :clap: :dance: :brickwall:
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:06 am It would be interesting to see who is the target market for "the Welsh Fire" is.
If the powers that be have done their homework they will see that a very high percentage of people that buy tickets for international matches in Cardiff do not come from Wales.
I personally think that if the new tournament is not run under Glamorgan's auspices it may well be a good way to take cricket to a new audience. As this forum shows we are a very fickle bunch who do not like change with self interest high on our list.
I say sit tight and try to look at cricket through crickets' eyes and not the narrow minded "one eye" that is continually displayed.

We must expect change and learn to accept it to move the game forward. :clap: :dance: :brickwall:
I am not sure the name "Welsh Fire" will help.
By Bubbles
Either a big mistake or a smart piece of marketing. I am praying that an external commercial team take this on board as our commercial team are average to say the least. Just take the money for using the stadium and leave the rest to someone else. No blame can then be attached to GCCC.
Could be exciting? :angel: :yikes: :yes: l
By Nick_Glam
Can't say that I have too much interest in this one, despite the Welsh Fire having one of the strongest squads...

Was rather surprised to see de Lange being selected for Manchester though.

I think Ingram, de Lange and Cooke are the only Glamorgan players involved so Cullen should be getting plenty of game time.
By glamman
Absolutely nothing welsh about the Welsh Fire. Intrigued to see who will be going to watch them. De Lange signed by Manchester - although I did not see Glamorgan letting him go I can think of plenty of better bowling options for teams.

The Big Bash has plenty of local players playing for each team. Not sure the Hundred has the same attraction.
By hujon64
Started to watch the Hundred draft last night but so long winded switched off. Have always enjoyed test and county championship cricket the most but, not being able to attend matches, I watch T20 and will watch these televised matches. One thing I think is good is that, with acquiring Starc and Smith, the youngsters, especially, are going to love the opportunity to watch these top players in Cardiff in their summer holidays, going with their families. I hope that the prices charged are, therefore, affordable. Also, let’s not forget that unlike lots of other professional sportsmen, ordinary, non-test playing, County Cricketers do not get vast salaries so I don’t begrudge them this chance - in fact, I’m delighted for Cooke. Getting older, young family I believe so a bonus for him. Sad that it impacts on 50 overs but, reluctantly, we have to move with the times and I think the Welsh Fire ‘pickers’ did a good job.
Nick_Glam liked this
By glamman
duckworthlewis wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:15 pm Tom Banton £100k ? What's that about ? i've never heard of him.
Clearly haven't been paying much attention to the game of cricket recently. :)
By duckworthlewis
glamman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:17 pm
duckworthlewis wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:15 pm Tom Banton £100k ? What's that about ? i've never heard of him.
Clearly haven't been paying much attention to the game of cricket recently. :)
Well, i can only assume from his limited stats that someone thinks he's the new golden boy to go that big on him. Obviously rates himself too to put his bid in at that price.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]