A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Much as I try avoiding even thinking about this competition, I see that Gary Kirsten has been appointed as the Cardiff-based franchise's coach. In his interview he spouts out the party line about how it will grow. We will see.
Matthew Mott will be back in Cardiff as the women's coach.
Looks like 3 international players will be allowed in each 15 man squad. Not sure if they can all play at one time.
Am looking forward to watching some proper white ball cricket (50 overs) in outgrounds.
By hujon64
I shall follow the 100 with interest, not because I’m in favour as I see absolutely no call for it. I wonder how it will pan out at Glamorgan. The Welsh are very loyal to their teams and wonder if the ‘attraction’ of watching the top international players will be greater than supporting Glamorgan. People do not have an endless supply of time or money and those with or without young children who like cricket will be making choices. I really can’t see fans of other counties ie Somerset, Gloucester, Etc travelling to Cardiff in addition to or instead of supporting their current teams. Could be a very expensive ‘damp squib’. Personally, would much rather see money going towards encouraging youngsters to play in schools and clubs from a very young age. I am told and think I read somewhere that the ‘promising’ youngsters from age 9/10 who attend Cricket Wales development training are charged something ludicrous like £300/400 for a few hours training a week - not sure how many months of the year - so it’s a very elitist pay (if you can afford it) to play for your country!!! Let’s spend the money to give ALL kids with promise a chance. Anyone else have any more information on this?
By johnwales
Does the 100 come as an extra tournament , or will T20 be dropped.

Limited overs and T20 are a variation of real cricket, but from what I see of the 100 the game is very different. 5 or 10 ball overs does not appeal to me.
By glamman
johnwales wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:07 pm Does the 100 come as an extra tournament , or will T20 be dropped.

Limited overs and T20 are a variation of real cricket, but from what I see of the 100 the game is very different. 5 or 10 ball overs does not appeal to me.
The T20 will be as now. The 50 over competition is the one to be run down, taking place alongside the hundred. Great idea just as we have won the 50-over World Cup.
By glamman
hujon64 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:44 pm I shall follow the 100 with interest, not because I’m in favour as I see absolutely no call for it. I wonder how it will pan out at Glamorgan. The Welsh are very loyal to their teams and wonder if the ‘attraction’ of watching the top international players will be greater than supporting Glamorgan. People do not have an endless supply of time or money and those with or without young children who like cricket will be making choices. I really can’t see fans of other counties ie Somerset, Gloucester, Etc travelling to Cardiff in addition to or instead of supporting their current teams. Could be a very expensive ‘damp squib’. Personally, would much rather see money going towards encouraging youngsters to play in schools and clubs from a very young age. I am told and think I read somewhere that the ‘promising’ youngsters from age 9/10 who attend Cricket Wales development training are charged something ludicrous like £300/400 for a few hours training a week - not sure how many months of the year - so it’s a very elitist pay (if you can afford it) to play for your country!!! Let’s spend the money to give ALL kids with promise a chance. Anyone else have any more information on this?
I do not see anyone coming from Bristol or Taunton. I assume all the games will be televised so my guess is people will just watch them on TV.
By Bubbles
Young cricketers that are not included in the Glamorgan Academy so not the best talent in Wales, are included in an 18 week course at a cost of £450 at four centres throughout Wales which is run by Cricket Wales. As repprted before I have heard on my travels that the coaching received in some centres is not of a high enough standard and that the coaches employed spent most of their time on their mobile phones whilst coaching. The ECB provide Cricket Wales with funding under the Chance to Shine banner but Wales run their own equivalent scheme but I do not ok now how successful this is and what targets and accountability there is. As the scheme links up with cricket clubs in Wales it provides little or no opportunity for children in areas where there is no cricket club and with clubs and facilities shrinking at an alarming rate the problem does not appear to being addressed. Allstars cricket stats for 5 to 8 years, which although is a good introduction to cricket does in my opinion provide a smokescreen to the dwindling figures of cricket players in Wales. :doh: :doh: :doh:
By johnwales
Thank you Glamman for your answer .

The 50 over format is not as damaging to the real game, but it does take its toll on the spectators. Quite a lot of games are decided in the first hour of the match, either with a Chris Gayle type batting display, or a Stuart Broad destruction. And for those spectators who sit out the whole game they only get 30 minutes recreation time. In contrast Test and County cricket is far more relaxing with 40 minutes for lunch and twenty for tea, plus another ten minutes for any change in innings.

T20 appeals to youngsters and the new generation of supporters, as it can be attended after school or work; but the 100 is destined to fail miserably.
By glamman
£450 seems a lot - £25 per session? I find that figure hard to believe but if it is true, the £450 must be paying for more than just the indoor sessions.
It is clubs that have been relied upon to get kids into cricket for many years given the lack of opportunity at state schools. They work very hard to keep kids coming into the game with limited resources.
By glamman
johnwales wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:12 am Thank you Glamman for your answer .

The 50 over format is not as damaging to the real game, but it does take its toll on the spectators. Quite a lot of games are decided in the first hour of the match, either with a Chris Gayle type batting display, or a Stuart Broad destruction. And for those spectators who sit out the whole game they only get 30 minutes recreation time. In contrast Test and County cricket is far more relaxing with 40 minutes for lunch and twenty for tea, plus another ten minutes for any change in innings.

T20 appeals to youngsters and the new generation of supporters, as it can be attended after school or work; but the 100 is destined to fail miserably.
I am not sure what you mean by "recreation time". Surely if you go to a cricket game you want to be watching cricket. If you want to go for a walk you are not limited to the innings break.
I agree about games being over if big scores are amassed. It is therefore important to ensure a fair contest between bat and ball as happened in many games of the recent World Cup.
By hujon64
I think I may have unintentionally opened a ‘can of worms’ here over junior cricket in Wales and thank others for their more knowledgeable input. A friend, who saw my post, contacted me to say it’s a ‘shambles’ with no coherency. I have been known to spout ‘inaccuracies on here, so would really like someone with all the necessary information to explain the system to ALL of us. It appears that, although the ECB covers England and Wales, Wales has its own body ie CRICKET WALES. In England, the various counties control the junior programmes and it comes out of their budgets so all youngsters regardless of ability to pay are given a chance at little cost. However, in Wales,Glamorgan has no influence whatsoever and there are lots of administrators, coaches etc being paid to run the CRICKET WALES separate programme. They then charge children this extortionate amount for taking part making it very elitist and only for those who can afford to pay. We are, therefore, losing so many children to the game. Also, the children who go to these training sessions also play for their counties eg West Glam, Cardiff And Vale, Gwent, Etc (not sure how it works in Mid and North Wales) and have to pay for their representative kit, transport and match fees for those games, too. I am told that Gwent Young Cricketers charge the youngsters in their many age groups £15 per match home and away while their opposition pay £5. Is this true as, if so, how on earth can they justify this? I think it’s about time the governing body for Sport in Wales looked into this as it can’t possibly be fair! Surely other sports such as football, rugby, etc don’t work on this basis. Sorry for this very long post but I am gobsmacked and would like someone in the know to give me the FACTS! No wonder we don’t seem to have many young Cricketers making it through to forge a successful career with Glamorgan!!! Only a small minority are getting the chance!
By Bubbles
You are right to say that the pricing structure is extortionate but Cricket Wales the governing body of cricket in Wales mostly funded by Sport Wales the national governing body(NGB) for cricket in Wales seem more interested in balancing the books than promoting cricket. Over the years the amount of cricket played at junior level has dropped dramatically and the emphasis on Black Minority and Ethnic communities (BME), disability and girls cricket provide the funding streams from the ECB, has seen a dramatic reduction in the amount of clubs and schools that fall outside these perimeters. You are right when you say cricket is becoming an elite sport as children in many areas do not have a cricket club to play, watch or support. Take a look at areas like the Rhondda, Mid Wales and Caerphilly to name but a few to see how children in those areas alone are starved of cricket. Cracks in junior cricket are being papered over but by the time these issues are addressed those responsible for not dealing with the situation will be long gone.
Can of worms most certainly!!! :shame: :shame: :shame:
hujon64 liked this
By Bubbles
Sorry to be replying to my own posting but I think it is apparent that most of the cricketing public in Wales do not know that there are two parties involved in running junior cricket in Wales . You can probably and correctly ask why we are the only first class county to have this situation. There are 39 county boards supported by the ECB but in Wales we also have the benefit of government funding via Sport Wales. Isn't it time that this anomaly was resolved? Could an "independent " body someone not known to either Glamorgan or Cricket Wales investigate the development of junior cricket in Wales and provide a FULL report of the current situation. Cricket development is not about balancing books but about providing opportunities for people to play cricket throughout Wales not just in affluent areas or areas where funding streams are available. Cricket Wales should spent "their" money more evenly to cater for all . :pray: :pray: :pray:
hujon64 liked this
By glamman
I am not sure this is correct. I think for many counties there is a seperation between the 1st class county and the youth system. As with Wales, there are County Cricket Boards. I have just looked at the Somerset Cricket Board's website - https://www.somersetcricketboard.co.uk/
I suggest you take a look. It appeasr to have the same relationship with Somerset CCC as CBW has with Glamorgan.
hujon64 liked this
By Bubbles
Thanks Glamman but I think your reply highlights some of the problems we have in Wales. Somerset CCC and Somerset Cricket Board sounds like there is parity between both parties. Ideally the renaming of Cricket Wales to Glamorgan Cricket Board would be favourable as the brand of Cricket Wales is relatively unknown throughout Wales unlike its counterparts in Scotland and Ireland but that's another subject.
One thing that stands out on the Somerset websites is the acknowledgement that one organisation is for the professional game and one for the recreational game. No grey areas! There is a continual bunfight in Wales over the allocation of funding from ECB , Sport Wales( the government arm of cricket funding in Wales) to put their business plans in place. The current situation for cricket in Wales badly needs fixing but no one appears to addressing this and are the current schemes being adopted successfully. Now is the ideal time for an "independent" review to be carried out with all information, statistics and costing so laid out to ensure that cricket in Wales can get back pn track and address the demise that is currently moving at pace.
hujon64 liked this
By hujon64
Thanks everyone for the input. The question now is WHO undertakes a review of the junior cricketing structure in Wales so that there is cohesion and WHO requests it? As I stated previously, if only those who can afford to pay are chosen for these development squads, talented children are lost and must be part of the reason why so few youngsters are coming through with the necessary qualities for success at professional level. Glamorgan seem to have no say with the Sports Council allocating to Cricket Wales and what experience do their Management and coaches have? The more I hear from others on here, the more of a ‘shambles’ I find it.
Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]

T20 signing for 2020

Nabi back for Kent next season for the Blast - bri[…]

The first two players released

Lawlor and Szymanski deemed surplus to requirement[…]

Maynard new 3 year deal

Maynard staying on as coach. Matthew Maynard: Gl[…]