A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Bubbles
I am under the impression that Glamorgan Cricket run the professional side of cricket in Wales and that Cricket Wales look after all aspects of the recreational game.

I also understand that Cricket Wales select the best talent available to us and welcome them in to the Cricket Academy which is run by Glamorgan. This is an ideal situation so that our youngsters get an insight in to professional cricket from an early age as in most other sports.

Let Glamorgan develop our future stars professionally under the club banner and let Cricket Wales concentrate on the recreational game. Funding streams to be allocated accordingly and each left to get on with their objectives. I have read recently that Cricket Wales have projected that the current participation figure of approx 20000 to reach to 40000 by 2024. Get real!! How can a National Governing Body be allowed to get away with just plucking a figure from the air?
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:16 am I am under the impression that Glamorgan Cricket run the professional side of cricket in Wales and that Cricket Wales look after all aspects of the recreational game.

I also understand that Cricket Wales select the best talent available to us and welcome them in to the Cricket Academy which is run by Glamorgan. This is an ideal situation so that our youngsters get an insight in to professional cricket from an early age as in most other sports.

Let Glamorgan develop our future stars professionally under the club banner and let Cricket Wales concentrate on the recreational game. Funding streams to be allocated accordingly and each left to get on with their objectives. I have read recently that Cricket Wales have projected that the current participation figure of approx 20000 to reach to 40000 by 2024. Get real!! How can a National Governing Body be allowed to get away with just plucking a figure from the air?
Glamorgan used to run the under 17s and that was handed over to CBW a few years ago as there were not enough staff at Glamorgan.
By Bubbles
I am almost certain that Glamorgan still run the Under 17s under the guidance of academy staff. This would make sense as the cream would then rise to the top. I have heard major grumbling that the old county players from the nine regions of Wales are paying £450 for an 18 week course and that the quality of the coaching is allegedly sub standard. Described as simply a money making venture by Cricket Wales at least there is a distinct difference between the young cricketing talent of Glamorgan and the young children of Wales who taken in by the honour of representing their country. It would be good to see stats as to the development of these youngsters at 15 16 17 and 18?
By glamman
The switch of the under 17s from Glamorgan to CBW was around 2009/10. Glamorgan run an Academy side which as I understand it, is seperate from the under 17s. The Academy includes players across all age groups who are seen to have the potential to play professionally. It includes girls.
The money from the winter training helped pay for activities during the summer and obviously the coaches have to be reimubursed.
The Welsh under 11 and under 12 age groups have disappeared and it now starts at under 13. The under 11 team when it was run by Alan Jones and Peter Edwards was a great experience for the youngsteers and Alan was always brilliant with them.
Of the current Glamorgam players Lloyd is the oldest to have gone through the Welsh system, which speaks volumes - what happened to Wright, O'Shea etc who should now be the back bone of the side? Others to have been at Glamorgan briefly include Aneurin Norman and Alex Jones. Salter was the year below Lloyd, then Smith below him, then a gap before Lawlor. Donald was a year younger than Lawlor. The success rate is therefore about one per year.
CC v Worcs

Good first day for us. Now can the batsmen give us[…]

www.glamorgancricket.com/news/13-man-squad-named-f[…]

AUSTRALIA

Eoin Morgan will not indicate to the spectators a […]

T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]