A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By notgoingoutreprise
#27715
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm
Am not very impressed with Douthwaite's approach to this situation. 21 off 16 balls is not what is required.
If this is what Maynard wants him to do then OK, but personally I think it is totally irresponsible.
Still need runs so he is batting okay
By glamman
#27717
Ger27 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm
Douthwaite is doing exactly the right thing. If he thinks he get to 50 by being aggressive, then that's exactly what he should do. Everyone else can play out time.
A lottery as to whether he will hang around or get out. We have previously criticized Donald for the same approach. Fine in white ball cricket but not when you are batting out the draw. Runs are important but he could have been dismissed first ball with the same shot he played to get out. The players you are asking to bat out time are coming in below him and presumably have poorer techniques.
User avatar
By Vetchetarian
#27718
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:57 pm
Am not very impressed with Douthwaite's approach to this situation. 21 off 16 balls is not what is required.
If this is what Maynard wants him to do then OK, but personally I think it is totally irresponsible.
Hmm ! Then I guess, since you have made no comment about his performance, you ARE/WERE " impressed " with Hemphrey's pair. Not to mention other batting failures. How dare Douthwaite score 63. :)
By Ger27
#27719
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:15 pm
Ger27 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm
Douthwaite is doing exactly the right thing. If he thinks he get to 50 by being aggressive, then that's exactly what he should do. Everyone else can play out time.
A lottery as to whether he will hang around or get out. We have previously criticized Donald for the same approach. Fine in white ball cricket but not when you are batting out the draw. Runs are important but he could have been dismissed first ball with the same shot he played to get out. The players you are asking to bat out time are coming in below him and presumably have poorer techniques.
Have you seen Douthwaite's technique?! He won't be in a position to bat-out time this season - probably not something he's over done at any level, let alone against Jordan, Hamza and Wiese on a Day 4 pitch! This is exactly what makes Douthwaite an exciting prospect - he's got so much raw talent, he's just going to get better-and-better now that he's playing full-time for the first time.
By glamman
#27720
Ger27 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:35 pm
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:15 pm
Ger27 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm
Douthwaite is doing exactly the right thing. If he thinks he get to 50 by being aggressive, then that's exactly what he should do. Everyone else can play out time.
A lottery as to whether he will hang around or get out. We have previously criticized Donald for the same approach. Fine in white ball cricket but not when you are batting out the draw. Runs are important but he could have been dismissed first ball with the same shot he played to get out. The players you are asking to bat out time are coming in below him and presumably have poorer techniques.
Have you seen Douthwaite's technique?! He won't be in a position to bat-out time this season - probably not something he's over done at any level, let alone against Jordan, Hamza and Wiese on a Day 4 pitch! This is exactly what makes Douthwaite an exciting prospect - he's got so much raw talent, he's just going to get better-and-better now that he's playing full-time for the first time.
Time will tell. I hope so. Not too difficult to learn to leave wide balls outside off stump. If he is batting ahead of Wagg and Cullen he should be expected to have good technique - he is a 1st class cricketer!
By notgoingoutreprise
#27721
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:15 pm
Ger27 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm
Douthwaite is doing exactly the right thing. If he thinks he get to 50 by being aggressive, then that's exactly what he should do. Everyone else can play out time.
A lottery as to whether he will hang around or get out. We have previously criticized Donald for the same approach. Fine in white ball cricket but not when you are batting out the draw. Runs are important but he could have been dismissed first ball with the same shot he played to get out. The players you are asking to bat out time are coming in below him and presumably have poorer techniques.
Douthwaite is playing his 4th FCM whilst Donald has played 41 and has not learned anything
By glamman
#27722
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:06 pm
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:15 pm
Ger27 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:19 pm
Douthwaite is doing exactly the right thing. If he thinks he get to 50 by being aggressive, then that's exactly what he should do. Everyone else can play out time.
A lottery as to whether he will hang around or get out. We have previously criticized Donald for the same approach. Fine in white ball cricket but not when you are batting out the draw. Runs are important but he could have been dismissed first ball with the same shot he played to get out. The players you are asking to bat out time are coming in below him and presumably have poorer techniques.
Douthwaite is playing his 4th FCM whilst Donald has played 41 and has not learned anything
Cullen batting at 9 has played only 9 FCM and looks a much better player.
By glamman
#27723
I think even the most pessimistic of us will accept that the draw has been secured. An excellent match performance from Selman aided by Labuschagne in the 2nd innings. As has been said this is a different team from last year and I am sure that is down to Maynard.
The question now is how we can win some more games. That requires the capture of 20 wickets for not too many runs. I am sure the debate will continue as to how that is best achieved and there are 6 more games before the T20 starts to see what the grand plan is.
By notgoingoutreprise
#27724
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:10 pm
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:06 pm
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:15 pm


A lottery as to whether he will hang around or get out. We have previously criticized Donald for the same approach. Fine in white ball cricket but not when you are batting out the draw. Runs are important but he could have been dismissed first ball with the same shot he played to get out. The players you are asking to bat out time are coming in below him and presumably have poorer techniques.
Douthwaite is playing his 4th FCM whilst Donald has played 41 and has not learned anything
Cullen batting at 9 has played only 9 FCM and looks a much better player.
Better than who?Douthwaithe or Donald?
By glamman
#27725
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 5:34 pm
glamman wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:10 pm
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:06 pm


Douthwaite is playing his 4th FCM whilst Donald has played 41 and has not learned anything
Cullen batting at 9 has played only 9 FCM and looks a much better player.
Better than who?Douthwaithe or Donald?
Douthwaite and probably Donald.
By Tebbutt32
#27726
Regarding Douithwaite its difficult to criticise. Admittedly he is very raw with bat and ball but he definately has some gamechanging atttibutes about him. That spell at derby with the ball was superb and he actually dug in with the bat at derby. Today we were rocking a bit at 5 wickets down and his counter attack pretty much made the game safe. He has added something positive to the side without a doubt and hopefully he will just keep improving.
By glamman
#27727
Tebbutt32 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:36 pm
Regarding Douithwaite its difficult to criticise. Admittedly he is very raw with bat and ball but he definately has some gamechanging atttibutes about him. That spell at derby with the ball was superb and he actually dug in with the bat at derby. Today we were rocking a bit at 5 wickets down and his counter attack pretty much made the game safe. He has added something positive to the side without a doubt and hopefully he will just keep improving.
You may well be right and hopefully he will refine his method. It may be that he focusses on white ball cricket - not something he is alone in given the financial rewards. However it would be wrong to assume these youngsters have come straight from the playground to county cricket. They will have been playing top representative age group cricket from the age of 10 and one would hope during that time they will have learnt something about adapting to the game situation. It may be that Maynard told him to go out and be positive and he certainly achieved that, scoring runs that took the game away from Sussex. If it comes off then fine.
By exileKT8
#27728
Good call John Wales, pleased you were right, although at the fall of Carlson we were in danger. This time last season we were losing games within 2 days so the resilience we seem to be developing is very welcome and hopefully we will see plenty more to consign last year`s collapses to history. Well played Selman who I haven`t always been convinced is the answer to the opening problem. I have yet to see Douthwaite play but is there something of a young Botham in him, bowl some rubbish mixed in with jaffas and the batting likewise hit and miss. Let`s enjoy his talent. Well done MM.
By hujon64
#27729
I said at the beginning of the season that I felt a little more optimistic although we shouldn’t expect miracles. However, we are unbeaten after some true fighting comebacks with different players contributing at different times. Our batting line up with Cullen and Wagg low down is very long and Selman has certainly grown in stature. Have always thought of Maynard as being very positive, a good motivator and upbeat. Also, Harrison, his second in command is said to have been a very affable, well-liked , approachable player and now coach. Maynard and Wallace seem to have made some shrewd signings with our limited budget and understand, after spending a lot of time with seconds earlier in season, Wallace has been active with 1sts as Maynard suffering with back! Can any supporters who travel to most matches confirm? This trio seem to be working well together and, of course, players seem invigorated which is great for us as supporters!!! Well done all!
By notgoingoutreprise
#27730
Tebbutt32 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:36 pm
Regarding Douithwaite its difficult to criticise. Admittedly he is very raw with bat and ball but he definately has some gamechanging atttibutes about him. That spell at derby with the ball was superb and he actually dug in with the bat at derby. Today we were rocking a bit at 5 wickets down and his counter attack pretty much made the game safe. He has added something positive to the side without a doubt and hopefully he will just keep improving.
I think that only glamman does not think much of him because everbody else are quite pleased with him so far
T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]

Live Stream!

Hopefully for all T20 games https://www.glamorgan[…]

Massive queues for bag checks, no effort made to g[…]

Recently I've been reading many reports talking ab[…]