A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Nick_Glam
An excellent result and performance. Obviously tough for the top order against Morkel and we still have clear weaknesses, but we have competed well over the last couple of games.
By johnwales
We must have the best 7 to 11 batting team in the championship, but we need to find more solidity in the top sector. But well done Glamorgan, keep it up
By hujon64
Like others on here, I am feeling some optimism this year. We must have one of the strongest ‘bottom halves’ to a team in the second division and the spirit seems so much better. Great win yesterday and a comeback to lose by just 2 runs against Somerset was also worthy of mention. Disappointing can’t seem to find a steady opening pair - can anyone comment on when we last had the luxury of that and who was it?
Well done team!
Nick_Glam liked this
By JamesH
Agreed, a positive result yesterday and proof that these guys can perform. Talking of openers, I vaguely remember Matthew Elliot opening the batting quite a few times in 2004 and doing well. I was hoping one of our overseas could fill a similar role this year. Great to see Root get a ton and Dai Lange taking wickets.
Nick_Glam liked this
By Nick_Glam
Yeah, would Steve James and either Matthew Elliott or Jimmy Maher be the last really good opening partnership we had?

Having said that, I think Ian Thomas was briefly a useful opener in the one dayers and helped us to some success.
By johnwales
Approaching the age of 75, I can clearly remember these openers
W G A Parkhouse, B. L Hedges.
B L Hedges A Jones.
H Morris S P James.

And more importantly, all the above were more talented than the group currently striving for selection to the current team.
Nick_Glam liked this
By glamman
johnwales wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:00 pm
Approaching the age of 75, I can clearly remember these openers
W G A Parkhouse, B. L Hedges.
B L Hedges A Jones.
H Morris S P James.

And more importantly, all the above were more talented than the group currently striving for selection to the current team.
The problem is that with all the talk about recruiting batsmen over the winter, the only person in the squad who really wants to bat in the top 3 is Selman. The others have all been press-ganged into it or have had it as a way into the 1st XI without really being properly equipped for the job.
By Nick_Glam
glamman wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:11 pm

The problem is that with all the talk about recruiting batsmen over the winter, the only person in the squad who really wants to bat in the top 3 is Selman. The others have all been press-ganged into it or have had it as a way into the 1st XI without really being properly equipped for the job.
To be fair, isn't Labuschagne a regular number 3 for Queensland?

I agree though that none of them are regular openers which is exactly what we said we most to recruit.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 pm
glamman wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:11 pm

To be fair, isn't Labuschagne a regular number 3 for Queensland?

I agree though that none of them are regular openers which is exactly what we said we most to recruit.
Sorry. You are right. Hemphrey has been batting 4 in that team. I am slightly surprised Connor Brown did not get more of a go opening as I thought he had played there a fair amount.
Nick_Glam liked this
Wales World Champions

Ecstatic to wake up this morning after Wales becam[…]

20/20 squad

If our star Oz batsmen ( can’t spell name :[…]

There are claims that England were allocated an ex[…]

With the T20 Blast starting soon, anyone wanting t[…]