A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Bubbles
Are we now settling for competing in games to be our benchmark?
I feel if ever there is a time to set up a Wales ICC team it is now. Welsh cricket lovers deserve better than the dross being served up. ECB and Welsh assembly money could be far better spent and bring fresh enjoyment to a new audience. You may well say it is a well trodden path but I for one am fed up of hearing what we did twenty years ago. History is a thing of the past and we should remember with pride but move forwards.
By Nick_Glam
Bubbles wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:11 pm
I feel if ever there is a time to set up a Wales ICC team it is now. Welsh cricket lovers deserve better than the dross being served up. ECB and Welsh assembly money could be far better spent and bring fresh enjoyment to a new audience. You may well say it is a well trodden path but I for one am fed up of hearing what we did twenty years ago. History is a thing of the past and we should remember with pride but move forwards.
I don't think anyone said that is our benchmark.
By Vetchetarian
Bubbles wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:11 pm
Which particular players do you have in mind for a Wales cricket team ?
Are the main contenders not already on Glam's books ?
Not too much hope for a Wales team there, I wouldn't have thought.
By Bubbles
It is apparent that the standard we are playing at is a bridge too far for many of our home grown players and a step down to playing lower grade ICC may well be the answer. The Welsh government are desperate to see their money being used wisely and I feel sure that a new rebrand and fresh blood would attract new investment after throwing good money after bad. We are fortunate that there is no relegation system and the only reason Glamorgan is opposed to such suggestions is purely financial. An example of our position is that we have stated that matches are sold out for international cricket but are still being advertised on national radio programmes. Figures also show that 61% of ticket are sold outside of Wales. Does that not show that we are doing something wrong?
By glamman
Bubbles wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:53 pm
It is apparent that the standard we are playing at is a bridge too far for many of our home grown players and a step down to playing lower grade ICC may well be the answer. The Welsh government are desperate to see their money being used wisely and I feel sure that a new rebrand and fresh blood would attract new investment after throwing good money after bad. We are fortunate that there is no relegation system and the only reason Glamorgan is opposed to such suggestions is purely financial. An example of our position is that we have stated that matches are sold out for international cricket but are still being advertised on national radio programmes. Figures also show that 61% of ticket are sold outside of Wales. Does that not show that we are doing something wrong?
We may never recover from the reign of Russell and Co and their legacy.
By Bubbles
I agree that Paul Russell was egotistical and got idiots on board like Metson who was totally disliked and respected by no-one but I am still baffled by how our cricketing prowess was allowed to diminish under Morris's guidance. The fact that he completely washed his hands of the cricket failures and hid behind his CEO title and left Crofty holding the baby.
All this nepotism about our ex players being the best people for the job may wash with some but certainly does not with me. What have our current coaching staff achieved in this country? We need someone who will rattle cages but I do feel for Mark Wallace as he has been set free in to the lion's den but will have to learn the hard way.
By Vetchetarian
Bubbles wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:52 pm
I agree that Paul Russell was egotistical and got idiots on board like Metson who was totally disliked and respected by no-one but I am still baffled by how our cricketing prowess was allowed to diminish under Morris's guidance. The fact that he completely washed his hands of the cricket failures and hid behind his CEO title and left Crofty holding the baby.
All this nepotism about our ex players being the best people for the job may wash with some but certainly does not with me. What have our current coaching staff achieved in this country? We need someone who will rattle cages but I do feel for Mark Wallace as he has been set free in to the lion's den but will have to learn the hard way.
" idiot ".

My dictionary describes an idiot as being ' a foolish or senseless person '.

Now I don't know the gentleman personally, but what I have read and heard about him would clearly indicate, to me anyway, that he is anything but " an idiot ". Wikipedia/Cricinfo outline his First Class cricket career, and is available for perusal.

I visit a football forum, and the use of the word " idiot ", and worse, is thrown around like confetti at a weddling. It's always aimed from the safety and security of a computer screen, so that tells me all I want to know about the " idiots " who are so free with their insults.

In my experience, the real idiots are the ones who call others idiots.

Let's try and keep this forum a civilised environment. Heaven forbid it should become the equivalent of a football one.
By Bubbles
Your opinion is noted and in Colin Metson I have my own which I have voiced.
Metson was by far the best wicketkeeper Glamorgan has ever had an honour that he truly deserves. As regards his professional career after cricket I know numerous people who have worked with or been party to his periods of employment and have not heard one good thing about his work ethic or the way he'd carried out his duties. The facts are that his wife worked for our ex chairman and he became friends as a result which resulted in his appointment in to a key role as director of cricket, which you may say taking the Matthew Maynard situation in to account started the ball rolling in the club's decline.
I am not a keyboard warrior and feel free to air my views which are mine personally. People may agree or disagree that is their right but the whole point of a forum is to debate.
This is a cricket forum and each member should have the right to vent their feelings. If Glamorgan cricket was running like a well,oiled machine everything would be roses but we well all know that sadly the machine is badly broken.
By glamman
Bubbles wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:09 am
Metson was by far the best wicketkeeper Glamorgan has ever had an honour that he truly deserves. As regards his professional career after cricket I know numerous people who have worked with or been party to his periods of employment and have not heard one good thing about his work ethic or the way he'd carried out his duties. The facts are that his wife worked for our ex chairman and he became friends as a result which resulted in his appointment in to a key role as director of cricket, which you may say taking the Matthew Maynard situation in to account started the ball rolling in the club's decline.
I am not a keyboard warrior and feel free to air my views which are mine personally. People may agree or disagree that is their right but the whole point of a forum is to debate.
This is a cricket forum and each member should have the right to vent their feelings. If Glamorgan cricket was running like a well,oiled machine everything would be roses but we well all know that sadly the machine is badly broken.
It was no secret that Metson and Maynard were not a compatible partnership.
By Vetchetarian
Bubbles wrote:
" Debate " is fine, when it's debate, but referring to someone as an idiot is not really debate.
Sadly, the 'web' is just a golden opportunity for individuals to throw insults around without fear of being held accountable for their actions.
Had you posted that you disliked Metson, for whatever reasons, then that would not have provoked any response from me, since to like , and dislike, is human. When gratuitous insults start to appear, however, I do tend to respond negatively, even if the person is unknown to me. It's all too keyboard warrior'ish for my liking. Totally unnecessary, and should stay on the football forums, where they sit more comfortably.
I'm not sure what the relevance of your " well oiled " machine comment is. Surely you don't blame Metson for Glam's present plight ?

Metson was highly regarded as a w/keeper, but " by far the best Glam have ever had "? That's a bold statement, when you consider the likes of Haydn Davies and Eifion Jones.
Last edited by Vetchetarian on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:18 am
Bubbles wrote:
So, does that make Metson an " idiot ", but Maynard not ?
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:05 am
glamman wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:18 am
Bubbles wrote:
So, does that make Metson an " idiot ", but Maynard not ?
No. Just that appointing Metson was guaranteed to lead to Maynard leaving
By Bubbles
I do not see where this is going?
Comparing Maynard and Metson as cricketers both provided periods of brilliance for Glamorgan. Their subsequent periods of employment with Glamorgan were miles apart. Maynard was progressing well as a coach before Russell, Metson and Hamer decided to ,without consultation,employ Alviro Petersen, without Maynard's input as head coach. This resulted in Matthew walking away and at the time the loss of a great prospective talent in Tom followed. Metson was quite quickly moved sidewards and downwards before being shown the door. There were numerous incidents of how Metson was shown to be out of his depth and certainly at that time attracted major criticism. I would say the use of the word" idiot " is mild to say other expletives I have heard.
I know that Maynard is struggling at present but do not see how he can be classed in your eyes as an "idiot"?
Where is Metson now? Is he still involved in cricket?
By Nick_Glam
Anyone who has read the book about the 1993 season will know what low esteem Colin Metson was held in by the rest of the squad. It was madness for him to be employed again a few years ago.

That obviously doesn't change the fact that he was a fine wicketkeeper, but that's another matter entirely.
Wales World Champions

Ecstatic to wake up this morning after Wales becam[…]

20/20 squad

If our star Oz batsmen ( can’t spell name :[…]

There are claims that England were allocated an ex[…]

With the T20 Blast starting soon, anyone wanting t[…]