A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By bobbly4
Focus here has been on the batting but what about the performance from the bowlers?

Not knowing the condition of the pitches or the individual bowling figures it's hard to be definitive but Gloucester scored 384 off 50, 266 off 30 and 411 0ff 50. Giving away an average of 8 runs per over suggests that we lacked control. We failed to take early wickets and failed to peg back the run rate. It seems to me that it isn't just the batsmen who are wanting but the entire team.
By glamman
bobbly4 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:01 am
Focus here has been on the batting but what about the performance from the bowlers?

Not knowing the condition of the pitches or the individual bowling figures it's hard to be definitive but Gloucester scored 384 off 50, 266 off 30 and 411 0ff 50. Giving away an average of 8 runs per over suggests that we lacked control. We failed to take early wickets and failed to peg back the run rate. It seems to me that it isn't just the batsmen who are wanting but the entire team.
Will be interesting to see how Hogan is bowling now he is another year older. He'll be 38 in May. Carey has fallen away a bit following injuries and hopefully he will regain form. TvdG will hopefully continue to take wickets and a fit De Lange will reinforce things. Smith only bowled 6 overs in the first game where he went for 26 runs which was not bad in the circumstances. I assume, given he did not bowl any more, that he has an injury. McIlroy is 24 so should be coming through by now and Szymanski shows promise. I assume Wagg will be reserved for white ball cricket. At least there are choices with the seam bowlers.
The spin department remains an issue. Salter has had another winter with Patel so we will see what that has done. However we need to get control from someone.
By Bubbles
What a disastrous start to the season. Thumped in three games by a club that we should be expected to beat and not even one of the better teams we will face. The wicket sounds like a road and Glos filled their bellies. We were 43 for 4 a too familiar sight from last season.
Seems to me a lot of cost to the club for not anywhere near a worthwhile return.
More work in the nets until we see some improvement!
Anyone getting their arses kicked?
By glamman
On paper the Gloucestershire team looked a lot stronger than ours and that reflects on us more than them.
By Bubbles
Surely preseason with a new coaching line up and a new face to brighten up surroundings the team should be buzzing about the future. How long are we going to be feed b*****t about a young side, learning curves, transitional periods. This is old hat and the team should be performing. Questions asked if not why not?
By glamman
Bubbles wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:26 am
Surely preseason with a new coaching line up and a new face to brighten up surroundings the team should be buzzing about the future. How long are we going to be feed b*****t about a young side, learning curves, transitional periods. This is old hat and the team should be performing. Questions asked if not why not?
New coaching line up????
By Nick_Glam
I notice that at the AGM it was announced that they are looking for a top 3 batsman to replace Marsh. I would really hope that would be an opener though. Cant afford to be throwing kids in right at the top of the order again.

And a preview of the season here...though not one I entirely agree with:

https://deepextracover.com/2019/03/seas ... glamorgan/
By Bubbles
Funny to see that our youngsters who by the way are over 21 are referred to as "kids" whereas around the country players of younger ages are scoring runs and taking wickets for fun? I note on the website that there will be a forum during the lunchtime of our first match. I also note that we will be able to ask questions about preseason AFTER the q and a session.? Does this mean that members will be steamrollered in to talking about what the club wants to say instead of the more pressing issues?
Just remember that we were told that our coaching staff were "chosen" from the best applicants and were by far the best applicants. Question 1. How many applicants? Who were they ?
By glammysupporter
On the face of it this is a disappointing start, but you certainly cannot judge the success (or otherwise) of a pre season tour in March.

I am not sure it the wicket was grass or artificial, but we do appear to have been outplayed on all 3 days,

Having delange and 2 new batsmen this yeat will make us stronger but I think it is a gradual process and we are not gong to become world beaters overnight.

There is still a question mark over a large number of the squad as to whether they are good enough for professional cricket. I suspect 4-6 probably are not.

As for disclosing names and details of peole who have applied for jobs with us this will never happen and rightly so. This has to remain confidential as some of the applicants may have been in current employment.
By glamman
I am not sure what the Q&A session will be about if none of the pre-season preparation, the season ahead and the future of the club are to be talked about.
The games in Le Manga were on grass wickets. I am not sure of the size of the boundaries given the Gloucestershire scores but we did not come close to matching them.
I concur we will never know about the appointments process but the lack of any outside input remains a concern and the salaries on offer are bound to have an impact. My worry is that we will continue to slide downwards and that if we develop any quality players they will up and leave for higher salaries and better opportunities. For all the criticism of Donald, I think he made the right decision and if others get offers they won't be far behind.

I also worry that the 100 competition will now be a focus and distract key individuals from the current issues.
By Nick_Glam
Bubbles wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:24 pm
Funny to see that our youngsters who by the way are over 21 are referred to as "kids" whereas around the country players of younger ages are scoring runs and taking wickets for fun? I note on the website that there will be a forum during the lunchtime of our first match. I also note that we will be able to ask questions about preseason AFTER the q and a session.? Does this mean that members will be steamrollered in to talking about what the club wants to say instead of the more pressing issues?
Just remember that we were told that our coaching staff were "chosen" from the best applicants and were by far the best applicants. Question 1. How many applicants? Who were they ?
I think part of that comes down to the sheer number of inexperienced players in the team. I mean, last season there were times when we had 4 or 5 young batsmen all in the side at the same time and the balance was clearly very wrong.

And part of it is down to ability. Some of our young players probably aren't good enough and have only been in the team due to a lack of other alternatives.
By JamesH
Since this is a general Pre-Season thread, worth noting that Prem Sisodiya is playing for Cardiff MCCU against Somerset. 3 wickets for him in the 2nd innings including Hildreth and Davies (who he's dismissed twice in the match). Took 1-63 in the first innings, still good for a spinner in March, and only 20 years old. Maybe a long term answer to our spin problems?
By glamman
JamesH wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:09 am
Since this is a general Pre-Season thread, worth noting that Prem Sisodiya is playing for Cardiff MCCU against Somerset. 3 wickets for him in the 2nd innings including Hildreth and Davies (who he's dismissed twice in the match). Took 1-63 in the first innings, still good for a spinner in March, and only 20 years old. Maybe a long term answer to our spin problems?
Will probably be opening the batting next week. :)
Derbyshire

Another interesting squad selected for this game w[…]

Middlesex

Seamer rotation continues. TvdG has a good record […]