A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Bubbles
We all love Glamorgan cricket and yet again all look to the past. Any other business would have gone to the wall and their hierarchy too. Without ECB handouts we would never survive with our ageing fan base.Business is not about smiling and shaking hands it is about having saleable products. The mere fact that we spend more than we bring in, with no success for many years must be addressed. When is someone going to stand up and tell it like it is. To many people of Wales Glamorgan cricket is an absolute laughing stock. Why can 't people attached to the club see that?
By hujon64
Just had an interesting chat with a Glamorgan friend and would welcome views of others on the following. I had thought that the position of Director of Cricket would include being Head Coach but apparently that is unlikely as would be too much as was Huw Morris’ previous commitment. It appears that this job nowadays requires many skills including a lot of administrative work involving business/technology acumen as well as experience of cricket. Managing all levels of Glam teams and liaising with clubs, Cricket Wales, promotion of the game, etc would seem likely to be in the job description. Therefore, a suitable degree or higher level qualification would be beneficial with necessary, proven admin experience as well as cricketing experience/high level coaching. With the salary Glamorgan will have on offer, are they going to attract a high calibre. Does Croft have the necessary, business skills or Jim Allenby as mentioned before. Understand that Collingwood, who many would welcome, has just been divorced and will not move from Durham because of children. Anyone else spring to mind. What about Dan Cherry who has worked at Glamorgan for many years with Hugh Morris or even David Harrison who I think is degree qualified and used to work as analyst? Thoughts anyone?
By Bubbles
If Morris does not take a drop in salary or even remains in post how can we even afford a new director of cricket unless we lose the head coach or the director of cricket/ head coach becomes one role. We must move away from this grow your own mentality of ex Glamorgan players and employ fresh blood from within the UK or further afield. I feel that strongly about this that I will not be renewing my membership unless major changes are made and believe me I am not alone. look at the success that Scottish and Irish cricket have had. Is it time now to close the history book and move as a truly national cricket team? That will surely ruffle far too many feathers and upset the apple cart but why not give it a go? Could things get any worse?
By glamman
Surely not the old chestnut of a "Welsh" team!

Ireland may have gained Test staus but that was on the back of players who have now mostly retired and learnt a lot of their cricket in the county game. From now on their players are going to have to develop in their own 1st class game which I think just consists of 3 teams. They will only play in county cricket as "overseas" players so not sure how much opportunity that will give them. I suspect they will struggle.
Scotland has a few players in county cricket and most of their players have to rely on club cricket. Scotland obviously had their historic win against England earlier this year but have not played since June and I don't know that they have any cricket over the winter.
If Glamorgan gave way to a Wales team all that would happen is that the best Welsh players would join counties in England. I'm not sure it would not be a popular move with the players.
By Bubbles
We are now at our lowest point ever. We have too many employees on far too much money.

A national team would secure funding from ICC I presume and money from Welsh government which could be well spent . Speak to cricket clubs throughout Wales and the game is dying on its feet . Future cricketers need something to aspire to and playing for the worst team in county cricket does not inspire anyone.

How many of our players would be taken up by other counties?
I know that this will upset many members who just enjoy having a day away from the missus but things have to change!
By Bubbles
Just to add to previous tags the game of cricket at club level in Northern and Southern Ireland is by all accounts flourishing. Look at the good times the players and fans have had at world cups all over the world. Priceless. I would love to see Wales play in the West Indies or Oz what a trip!

I can also see the writing on the wall for county cricket. With four day traditionalists condemning the new 100 ball format purely because for many it will effect their summer plans . Please look at it from this point of view. The merging of counties in to regions would tie in with other sports. The ECB could save fortunes by not funding counties who do not currently produce international players over the last decade. Glam, GLos, Derby, Leics spring to mind and streamline cricket in to one Premier League. County cricket is filled with professionals who do not deserve the title.

Things will change and unfortunately counties that have one man and his dog for supporters will be the ones to go. The only way to move forward is to provide entertainment and experiences at cricket . I fear the pink hatted ladies and gangs of youths wearing fancy dress will win the day. No room in the future for traditionalists who like me may look to improve their allotments and listen to cricket on the radio or online. For many it sounds all doom and gloom but for most traditional cricket fans cricket at four day level or in our case two/three day level cricket is no longer attractive. Get real guys! Thoughts?
By glamman
I have repeatedly said on this forum that there are too many 1st class counties and on that we are in agreement. A reduction to 14 would address a lot of the issues. However the last change to the number of counties was an increase rather than a decrease when Durham joined. Given the say that the counties have within the ECB, turkeys are not going to vote for Christmas.
My feeling is that one of the reasons that counties such as Glamorgan have developed their stadiums is to protect themselves if their was ever a cull. This has been evidenced by the fact that Cardiff are going to be one of the hosts of this 100 competition despite the fact we attract less support than Somerset of Bristol. We have the stadium.

County cricket is set to stay as all the top Test playing teams have a strong 1st class game underpinning them. That is why it will be very difficult for Ireland to progress and my feeling is they are going to go backwards. The players in their 1st class game are the ones who cannot get county contracts. Many of them have trialed or are now past their best.

Club cricket may be flourishing but club cricketers are not going to make it with any consistency at International level.
By Bubbles
Good reply glamman and I sense that deep down you have the same fears as me.
The likes of Morris would put his hand up to be CEO of a new franchise and would look to again fill his back pocket with his ECB friends money.

Look how poor we have been over the last five years.Where is the review of how cricket is performing and the solutions? Morris may have cleared some debts but we have already sold the family silver by taking the ECB pay off. It would be interesting to see when our stadium is full actually how many are Welsh?

The proposed new 100 ball format would I imagine be francished and sponsors be found by naming rights of new teams. Again we do not have the commercial nous to fund or find our own sponsors and again foresee that this will be ECB driven.
A very good point about our white elephant of a stadium. We have stolen a march on the likes of Somerset and Gloucester but how will we get their supporters to travel to Cardiff to watch their new team?
I fear that to make an omelette you have to break a few eggs and that the diehard fans will be the ones to hit the frying pan.
By ffynnongarw
I find your reference to Morris filling his backpocket disrespectful. He left a lucrative job at Lords, where he was highly regarded to return to Glam. With regards to support, crowds at Cardiff compare favourably with Bristol for ODI'sand T20 crowds are broadly similar. Glam qualified for T20 finals day last year and this year recorded their highest scores ever at Cardiff. Their T20 record has been good in recent years, albeit heavily influenced by the greatest hitter of a cricket ball I have ever seen play for Glam in 50 years.
johnwales liked this
By johnwales
We must not press the panic button !! Now that Donald has left, we are left with no batsman who has not recorded at least three good innings during the past season. Although this is not reason to celebrate, it at least suggests that we have a young team who have the capability of succeeding. Come next April these lads will have the benefit of one more year's experience, and should two or three of them come good in the opening games then there is every chance their confidence will be boosted and Glamorgan's fortunes will change.
By Bubbles
Morris did not come to Glamorgan cheaply and his alleged income would make many peoples hair stand on end.
I do not dispute that he is a nice guy but in five years has not achieved what he set out to do. How many people in outside industry.would have that luxury without being reprimanded or sacked.
By surrounding himself with allies he has saved himself from the noose and as I stated in a previous post no one has the backbone to pull the trigger. As in many jobs success is all about results and ours have plummeted to all time lows.
Does the average supporter really care whether we owe one million or twenty million but you can be assured that we care about results. Who is going to take the blame?
By Nick_Glam
Bubbles wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:43 am
Morris did not come to Glamorgan cheaply and his alleged income would make many peoples hair stand on end.
I do not dispute that he is a nice guy but in five years has not achieved what he set out to do. How many people in outside industry.would have that luxury without being reprimanded or sacked.
By surrounding himself with allies he has saved himself from the noose and as I stated in a previous post no one has the backbone to pull the trigger. As in many jobs success is all about results and ours have plummeted to all time lows.
Does the average supporter really care whether we owe one million or twenty million but you can be assured that we care about results. Who is going to take the blame?
The ones with any degree of sense do. :lol
Simon liked this
By Ger27
I don't thing there's any doubt that Hugh Morris has done a fantastic job in the CEO part of his dual-role.

To get the debt down from £15m to £2.5m is bordering on miraculous - to go from close to folding to most probably debt-free in a couple of years is fantastic. Added to that, getting a franchise would have no doubt been one of the top aims during his tenure, and he got that.

I also think the Coaching staff have been supplied with what, on paper at least, appear as good overseas signings. You can lead a horse to water...
By bobbly4
What about the role the committee have played (or failed to play) in all of this. The recent review was commissioned by and submitted to them after all. Apart from the announcement re Hugh Morris there has been nothing more. It is their role to ask the tough questions and to hold the executive to account. I would have expected a stronger response to what should have been a wide ranging look at the club's infrastructure.

The structure of the committee itself has recently changed. Has it led to a more robust committee or is it just "more jobs for the boys"? I suggest it begs the question as to whether the changes have made the committee more or less likely to question the record and ability of the management team.
By ffynnongarw
I think any intelligent supporter of any sport will understand the link between financial strength and resources to improve playing performance. It is impossible to improve playing personnel without financial clout.
Monty

Anyone know anything about this? Nothing as yet on[…]