A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have been in Strength and Conditioning in rugby. I have no idea whether he is a suitable choice but personally would have preferred to see a cricket person coming in from outside Wales. He fulfils neither of those criteria.

Personally I do not see how Croft can carry on. Not a popular figure within the club and has been at the helm as individuals' form has deteriorated. Certainly cannot see him and Maynard both staying on.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 pm
This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have been in Strength and Conditioning in rugby. I have no idea whether he is a suitable choice but personally would have preferred to see a cricket person coming in from outside Wales. He fulfils neither of those criteria.

Personally I do not see how Croft can carry on. Not a popular figure within the club and has been at the helm as individuals' form has deteriorated. Certainly cannot see him and Maynard both staying on.
Bevan seems a farcical choice to have carried out the review. It's been expedited rather too speedily in my view, and will doubtless be as effective as a Cook innings. I don't anticipate any blood letting.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:16 pm
glamman wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:54 pm

Bevan seems a farcical choice to have carried out the review. It's been expedited rather too speedily in my view, and will doubtless be as effective as a Cook innings. I don't anticipate any blood letting.
If there aren't changes I don't see a number of players putting pen to paper to renew contracts. I understand players with contracts ending next year are waiting to see the results of the review and if nothing happens they will be looking elsewhere from the start of next season when they are permitted to start talking to other counties.
By glamman
bobbly4 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:08 pm
Bevan worked for England and Wales Cricket board from 2009 to 2014 I believe so not completely lacking in experience.
Thanks for that info. Makes things slightly better but strikes me as being a bit close to home and perhaps a bit cosy. Sure they have all had a drink together at some point.
By Bubbles
Lovely chap Huw. Son Tom playing for the club and I would imagine hoping to get a future contract. Independent I think not. Knows all at Glamorgan very well and would not jeopardise his son's progress. Why am I not shocked. :dance: :joy:
By hujon64
Just announced that, as many of us thought fit, Hugh Morris has relinquished his role as Director of Cricket to focus on being Chief Executive as the combination of roles is too much for one person. The Director of Cricket will be an open recruitment process which will be interesting as Croft, along with anyone else, can apply. If Croft, doesn’t get it will he remain in some capacity or will the new person be allowed to pick his coaches? Will Matthew Maynard apply. Interesting times!
By djronnieb65
That’s one bit of good news regarding the club
Now what will happen to his job
It has to be from outside and not anyone to do with Glamorgan cricket club
Maynard ship has sailed and Crofty not good enough for the job as you have to smile sometimes when you do it
Let’s hope they make a good decision this time and see the club starting to rise again
We have quite a bit of dead wood in the coaching department that needs to be dispensed with
Simon liked this
By Vetchetarian
djronnieb65 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:39 pm
That’s one bit of good news regarding the club
Now what will happen to his job
It has to be from outside and not anyone to do with Glamorgan cricket club
Maynard ship has sailed and Crofty not good enough for the job as you have to smile sometimes when you do it
Let’s hope they make a good decision this time and see the club starting to rise again
We have quite a bit of dead wood in the coaching department that needs to be dispensed with
I agree re job going to an outsider. Is Paul Collingwood still available ?

Unfortunately, the " dead wood " you refer to are all under contract, and their immediate removal would be costly.
By johnwales
H. M. looked far from happy on t.v. tonight, but it may have been a library sequence.
A difficult task this one; and cannot even think of any solutions.
By Bubbles
As I thought. A carve up. Will Morris give up part of his healthy salary?
My money is on Jim Allenby who is a great chap but will be a new chess piece for Morris to move around. A clean break was needed but no one at the club had the backbone to make this and other decisions. Morris, Croft, Maynard and Metson all top quality players but for all of them that is where the story ends.
By johnwales
I cannot see H.M. accepting a salary cut even though his duties have been halved. Nor can I see Glamorgan paying a new D O C anything more than an average salary for the job.

I am old enough to remember a legend of Glamorgan C C C who held the positions of captain and secretary over many years. When he finally retired from all his duties he circulated the counties with a letter starting with the words ' The day has finally arrived that Glamorgan have been waiting for, for many years ..............

Wilf Wooler and Hugh Morris had a lot in common. As cricketers they were both statesmen of the game, as administrators they were efficient yet did not always please everybody who came into contact with them.

We are fortunate to have a man with the qualities of Hugh Morris at the helm, let us hope we recruit someone similar for the roll of Director of cricket.
By ffynnongarw
Whatever salary Morris earns he deserves it. He is largely responsible for keeping Glam afloat. He gave up a lucrative job at Lords to return to Glam and do 2 jobs for the price of 1. He has conducted difficult negotiations with banks, EWCB, Cardiff Council etc usually arriving at a good outcome for Glam.
Simon, johnwales liked this
By hujon64
I agree wholeheartedly with the previous posts about Hugh Morris who has shown a ‘love’ of Glamorgan by returning at a difficult time and sorting out our finances. As I and many others have said before, combining the two jobs was too difficult a task for anyone.
In's & outs

Who is out & who is coming in for next season.[…]

New DOC

I see from an interview with Matthew Maynard on Tw[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]