A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Nick_Glam
Some comments:

A full external review to be conducted with the results being disclosed in mid-October. Decisions will be made on the coaching situation and Hugh Morris's role after that.

County hoping to sign 2 experienced batsmen and tried to sign Alex Lees who instead went to Durham.

Looking (in addition to those 2) at an alternative to Shaun Marsh for next season.

Croft defended the policy of using young players and said that he won't be giving up on them.
By glamman
Morris recognised that the development pathway has not been working for players prior to joining the staff and subsequently. That for me is one of the major issues and will be interesting to see if any substantive changes are made specifically with regard to staff.
By glammysupporter
Thanks for the comments.

Do we really need an external review?

I (and others on here) can do that for you in 5 minutes and save the clubs some time and money.

As I have previously suggested, a dedicated Director of Cricket needs to come in who can focus totally on the job 24/7 and not share it with another important role at the club.

This should ideally (in my view) not be a former player and should be somebody with fresh ideas who has good global cricket connections.

The position of head coach should be decided by the new DOC, but Crofty must be under pressure and it might be decided that we need a change.

Whoever is appointed, they need to be supported by the recruitement of 3 new batsmen to include the overseas.

The reason that we have been so bad this season is that we tried to replace Rudolph, Ingram and Bragg with one player who got injured very early. It was a risky strategy which has backfired spectacularly.

Some of the young players we have been playing are not enough and never will be.

We must get over this mindset that because the players are Welsh and working hard they are going to be good enough to make it at this level.

Blind loyalty to these Welsh players is not a good things and we must get a balanced quad who can be competitive in all competitions with a mixture of Welsh and non Welsh players.

We want the best Welsh players to thrive in a comprtitive team, and we dont want any more of them leaving.
By glamman
I agree about a Director of Cricket coming in from outside. That is an absolute must but will use up some of the financial resources.

I think two experienced batsmen who are going to be there for the whole season to support the young players is probably enough as long as they are going to stick around. Selman and / or Murphy may be good enough and Carlson will hopefully shrug of this season. The long term plan is probably worth sticking with. I agree with Croft that it is too early to discard players until they have played a reasonable number of games. They have been identified as having potential that they may or may not fulfil but we must give them a chance. The main problem this season is that they have not been given the right support and that needs to be reviewed. Why have the batting averages of almost all the batsmen fallen so precipitously?
By Dismayed1
Well todays lunchtime forum throws up more questions than answers, regarding the future coaching structure in the club.
Although there is going to be a outside revue in October, I have an uneasy feeling in my mind that not a lot is going to change, just a game of musical chairs, involving mainly the same people who have be responsible for such horrendous results this year.

Hugh Morris is going to stay, but in a new capacity, so how about some crystal ball gazing.
1. Hugh Morris to continue as CEO, carrying on the good job on the commercial side, which is his forte.
2. Robert Croft to be Director of Coaching, as a reward for his outstanding failure as Head Coach. A case of promoting people beyond a level of capability.
3. Jim Allenby to be Head Coach (as mooted by Vetchetarian) in another forum on this site. Never coached a PROFESSIONAL club, and left both Glamorgan and Somerset under unstated circumstances.
4. Matthew Maynard as batting coach to continue the brilliant job he has done with the batsmen this season. This year must be the lowest batting bonus points ever, so he deserves another chance. haha!!
If this does become fact then I don't see the point in forking out good money on season tickets, to watch 2 day matches, and some mediocre cricket next year.
The time has come for a complete clear out of the entire coaching staff, and an end to jobs for the boys. the club deserves better coaches that have a record of leaving counties or international set-ups in a better position than when they joined them. Sometimes it is very hard for those who have only ever been at one club all their careers to have a wide and varied approach to the job of coach.
I hope this scenario does not come about, the players and supporters deserve better.
By glamman
Dismayed1 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:57 pm
Well todays lunchtime forum throws up more questions than answers, regarding the future coaching structure in the club.
Although there is going to be a outside revue in October, I have an uneasy feeling in my mind that not a lot is going to change, just a game of musical chairs, involving mainly the same people who have be responsible for such horrendous results this year.

Hugh Morris is going to stay, but in a new capacity, so how about some crystal ball gazing.
1. Hugh Morris to continue as CEO, carrying on the good job on the commercial side, which is his forte.
2. Robert Croft to be Director of Coaching, as a reward for his outstanding failure as Head Coach. A case of promoting people beyond a level of capability.
3. Jim Allenby to be Head Coach (as mooted by Vetchetarian) in another forum on this site. Never coached a PROFESSIONAL club, and left both Glamorgan and Somerset under unstated circumstances.
4. Matthew Maynard as batting coach to continue the brilliant job he has done with the batsmen this season. This year must be the lowest batting bonus points ever, so he deserves another chance. haha!!
If this does become fact then I don't see the point in forking out good money on season tickets, to watch 2 day matches, and some mediocre cricket next year.
The time has come for a complete clear out of the entire coaching staff, and an end to jobs for the boys. the club deserves better coaches that have a record of leaving counties or international set-ups in a better position than when they joined them. Sometimes it is very hard for those who have only ever been at one club all their careers to have a wide and varied approach to the job of coach.
I hope this scenario does not come about, the players and supporters deserve better.
Fortunately I think this scenario is very unlikely. I will be very unhappy if Croft moves to DoC. That has to be someone from outside.
A lot depends on the dynamics within the club and the people management skills of the key players. If this is found wanting by the external review then coaches need to be replaced.
By johnwales
No easy solution to this major problem, particularly as today suggested Glamorgan's run has come to an end !!!

I wonder what plans Paul Collingwood has for his post cricket years; may be a good replacement as head coach.

If H.M. stands down from the Director of Cricket roll, and just continues as C E O , will he get a salary cut. If not the wages bill is going to be equivalent to two top signings

Todays batting performance clearly showed that Glamorgan's batting is capable of high scoring, so the outlook may not be that grim. The new season is six months away , and the youngsters must take every opportunity to improve their status, so that this season is well and truly a shambles of the past.
By glamman
A steady performance to day but this was a very ordinary bowling attack. Nevertheless every other team batting first today was out well before the close.
exileKT8 liked this
By hujon64
Thank you to all who posted re the meeting today which seems to have been very well attended. Pleased that an external review is being implemented and will be interesting to see who is part of this. My view is that Hugh Morris should remain but a separate Director of Cricket advertised with anyone (including present Glamorgan coaches) able to apply. Following this appointment, other roles are discussed and advertised if thought necessary with the DOC taking an active part in these appointments. All fair and above board.
Well done to the team today - good start!
By glammysupporter
I remember that in 2013 Brian Rose of Somerset conducted an external independent review on our cricket structure and made recommendations etc.

That went well.
By exileKT8
May I add my thanks to the feedback circulated on here.

I have some experience of reviews, I hope this isn`t a vehicle to justify no change.

Other points give me some hope, Lees would have been a good signing and it is understandable that he would prefer Durham as probably doesn`t have to relocate. Let`s not go into which may be the best cricket move.

The Marsh situation is a potential mess. It doesn`t need mountains of retrospect to see that putting all our experienced batting eggs in one batsman who had a good Ashes series and then had a 1 day series in his 1st season and an Ashes tour in his 2nd, might mean we don`t see much of his 3 year contract.

Cricket Australia will call the tune, and it will be difficult to act until the squad is announced. If selected CA will probably want Marsh to play a few games to reacquaint himself with English conditions but will then recall him before an agreed date for a training camp if the past is anything to go by. Tricky as Marsh needs to be treated correctly by Glamorgan and his contract respected. Let`s hope a solution can be found to suit both parties.

If no Marsh, use the money to get an experienced County Pro of quality, maybe a Chopra who may not get not get much 4 day time with Essex and get a young Afghan leg spinner who may be cheaper as overseas ?
By Nick_Glam
I would be very, very surprised if we signed an overseas player who wasn't a batsman. In fact, I'd be surprised if we signed any players who aren't batsmen.
By glamman
The bowling is tricky. Without De Lange and Carey our attack has been blunted. Ideally we could have done with another strike bowler but the need is dependent on injuries. Batting remains the priority but bowlers are easier to come by. If Meschede leaves then there will be a gap. Smith best suited to play as 4th seamer and bat at 7.
By exileKT8
Agree Nick, my overseas suggestion was not made with any expectation of coming true. We all agree batting is the priority but I would love to see a leg spinner in there offering a wicket taking threat in red and white ball games.

We need the experienced bat(s) there all season, so the answer may like within the County game. I wondered about Trego but see he has now signed a 1 day deal. They will be hard to find, the big counties seem to stockpiling squads of batsmen for both types of game. Worcs, Northants and Derby will be after replacements for those gone to Notts.
Monty

Anyone know anything about this? Nothing as yet on[…]