A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By gmdf
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:07 pm
glamman wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 pm
Nick_Glam wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Sure, but considering the position we are in, scoring more than 100 and only being dismissed once is a great effort anyway it's done.
Don't disagree and usually you make your own luck.
Arnold Palmer was once described as being a very lucky golfer. His response was, " Yes, I find the harder I practice , the luckier I seem to get ".
I'm pretty it was Palmer, although others have claimed it.

I wonder how much practice Glam's batsmen get, especially considering the number of non working day's that have been available as a result of early finishes arising from numerous crushing defeats, etc. ?

Some of them (a fair number) were in the nets when I arrived at Canterbury at 09.45 today...
By gmdf
Nick_Glam wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 pm
glamman wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:25 pm
Nick_Glam wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:18 pm
The only positives from this game are Murphy's effort and the fact that it emphasizes (again!) just how bad we are and just what drastic steps need to be taken.
Has to be said Murphy played and missed repeatedly last night. Better to be lucky than good.
Sure, but considering the position we are in, scoring more than 100 and only being dismissed once is a great effort anyway it's done.

I have to say he looked a very good player, esp. able to concentrate for long periods. Based on his performances vs Kent I'd say he has a good future in the game.

The real disappointments in this game in my opinion were the more experienced players (Cook, Cooke & Meschede, for example).
By glamman
gmdf wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:14 pm
djronnieb65 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:00 pm
There we go then another innings defeat
Total and utter shambles
No effort made by any batsman this morning to make respectable score
All out for 78 and 5 wickets taken by a 42 year old
That just about sums it up
What excuse will Crofty come up with or is he going to resign along with Hugh Morris
One more match to go and who’s not to say that wont stretch the defeats to 11
Don't dis Darren - he's embarrassed lots of good batsmen in his time, and this season has 42 wickets at 17.83...
Stevens is ideally suited to English conditions in May and September but for that reason the timing of Championship cricket does nothing for the development of our future test players especially bowlers. When they get on flat wickets overseas they are found wanting.
By Vetchetarian
gmdf wrote:
djronnieb65 wrote:
Total and utter shambles
What excuse will Crofty come up with or is he going to resign along with Hugh Morris
Don't dis Darren - he's embarrassed lots of good batsmen in his time, and this season has 42 wickets at 17.83...
I don't think Darren was being dissed. I suspect the poster was more than a little "dis"appointed at the nature of yet another defeat.

Glamorgan had a 50 year old J.C Clay helping them win the Championship back in 1948, so aged/older cricketer's certainly have a place in the game.
gmdf liked this
By Vetchetarian
gmdf wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:15 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:07 pm
glamman wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 pm

Don't disagree and usually you make your own luck.
Arnold Palmer was once described as being a very lucky golfer. His response was, " Yes, I find the harder I practice , the luckier I seem to get ".
I'm pretty it was Palmer, although others have claimed it.

I wonder how much practice Glam's batsmen get, especially considering the number of non working day's that have been available as a result of early finishes arising from numerous crushing defeats, etc. ?

Some of them (a fair number) were in the nets when I arrived at Canterbury at 09.45 today...
I was thinking more of the entire day's when no play is taking place, for whatever reason, be it fixture list, or foreshortened games.
By JamesH
gmdf wrote:
djronnieb65 wrote:
Total and utter shambles

If you take away his performances against Glamorgan he actually only took 27 wickets at 22.37. Just not good enough.

But on a serious note I agree, Stevens is a very handy bowler especially in the conditions we've had this year during the CC. Unfortunately our batsmen have not been up to scratch in this game, or any other or that matter.
By glamman
JamesH wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:02 pm
gmdf wrote:
djronnieb65 wrote:
Total and utter shambles

If you take away his performances against Glamorgan he actually only took 27 wickets at 22.37. Just not good enough.

But on a serious note I agree, Stevens is a very handy bowler especially in the conditions we've had this year during the CC. Unfortunately our batsmen have not been up to scratch in this game, or any other or that matter.
With most CC games played in May and September these conditions exist every year. It is one of the reasons our Test team performs so poorly abroad.
By lonwel93
One thing about this season is that the weather has been too good
This makes it harder to digest the lessons of a dire defeat and the body blows escalate with each successive defeat. It must have been the same in the early days of the county
Too early to write the obituary and too late to do much constructive.
So, with that in mind, could we do any worse with some adventurous selections.
Machado to keep wicket (if he is eligible to play) and to open with Taylor. Walker and Szmanski to come in to the side captained by TVDG
Sisodiya in for Bull and a couple of club players who few have heard of to come in
None of this will happen but are there any better ideas. (Excluding sacking the coaches )
By gmdf
FWIW I'd much prefer to see CC games played mostly in the better months (June, July, August), but that will be increasingly impossible, esp. from 2020 given the start of the ECB's folly... :brickwall:

Next season, due to the World Cup, I understand fewer CC games will be played at the bookends of the season. We'd all better enjoy it while we can! :doh:
By exileKT8
[/quote]

This is almost funny, and tragic to Glammy fans for all the reasons being voiced on here. Should Div 2 players have 2 different stats for this season, their overall averages and then their averages excluding the hatfuls of cheap wickets and runs v Glamorgan.
[/quote]
By exileKT8
Glammy fans would not dis Darren Stevens, probably the best bit of cricket business ever when Kent recruited him from Leics. How we could have done with him.
By gmdf
exileKT8 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:50 pm
Glammy fans would not dis Darren Stevens, probably the best bit of cricket business ever when Kent recruited him from Leics. How we could have done with him.

I wasn't being wholly serious when I said that (though there are plenty of people who have done so in recent years)...

As his batting prowess has - naturally - declined in recent years, it is incredible that his bowling has continued and even improved. I suspect next season will be his last - how fitting that he will get to play in the first division.
exileKT8 liked this
By blackmoon
It is now very embarrassing to be a Glamorgan supporter . The sooner this season ends the better.
For next season, we need a complete clear out of the "dead wood": that's players and management.
Appoint a director of cricket who has the gonads to make tough decisions, and an experienced coach who will coach and inspire players.
By glamman
blackmoon wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:16 pm
It is now very embarrassing to be a Glamorgan supporter . The sooner this season ends the better.
For next season, we need a complete clear out of the "dead wood": that's players and management.
Appoint a director of cricket who has the gonads to make tough decisions, and an experienced coach who will coach and inspire players.
The limiting factor will remain money. It has all been tied up in the white elephant that is the stadium.
By glamman
I see Marcus North has been appointed director of cricket at Durham.

I keep checking our website as I cannot believe that nothing will change.

Heavy rain forecast over the weekend but Monday onwards is supposed to be drier. Hopefully plenty of people will get to the meeting on Monday and play will start so people will be there.
Monty

Anyone know anything about this? Nothing as yet on[…]