A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By gmdf
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:06 pm
psychocandy wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:34 am
Good from Murph. Hope Carlson isnt going down the Donald route - he looks good in the T20.
Alas, fully expect Kent to score a shedload and then us losing by an innings again.

Worrying about Hogan. I remember how keen he was a few years ago and now hes saying hes not sure. Thing is it cant be much fun getting tumped all the time. If we lose him we're screwed.
Apparently Carlson is actually following Donald route and is getting out to not very good shots

Give Carlson his due - his fielding (& the catch today) is worth 30+ runs per innings...
By blackmoon
What a tragic season, we are now the laughing stock of county cricket.
Major changes needed for next season, or down to the minor league.
By hujon64
Would appreciate the views of others on whether they think Hugh Morris should step down from the cricket side and Matthew Maynard be appointed to the Director of cricket role. I am a huge fan of Maynard as he seems to have the right pedigree and attitude (on and off the field) added to vast experience as a previous Glam coach (before being ‘shafted’), England duties, overseas teams and Somerset. I think he’s well respected and has the ability to attract players and appoint his own coaching team.

Of course, I’m presuming Maynard would want it!!!
johnwales liked this
By djronnieb65
Hugh it is unlikely that he would be asked to be DOC
Anyhow I think that ship has now sailed
I like Maynard and he done a great job when he was here as Director of cricket
If we are to start winning matches firstly we do need a director of cricket
Hugh Morris was a poor captain and twice gave up the job because he couldn’t cope with the pressure
He’s doing a very poor job as DOC as results will show
I would be quite happy if he got up and walked away
The only ex Glam player I would keep is David Harrison on the coaching staff
A new Director of Cricket from outside we need who can employ his own coaches etc
This may sound drastic but is what’s needed badly if we are to become a proper cricket team again
Robert Croft has had a go at coaching but has failed badly the same when he was captain
Until big changes are made next season will probably be as bad if not worse than this season
I worry also about our youngsters and how their confidence will be affected by having to play every match and get thumped each time
It certainly would affect mine
By glamman
I don't know what the solution is. The batting has gone backwards and Maynard is the batting coach so I am not sure if that supports his claim to be head coach. However there have always been issues with his relationship with Croft and I do not know what impact this may have had on the situation.
The composition of the squad and the loss of form of almost all the batsmen which now is impacting on the bowling are major problems. There needs to be a plan to correct these and the club board should be ensuring that Croft and Morris are able to deliver.
By Vetchetarian
Existing contracts will dictate who is here next season on the playing side, and the team does actually need players.

The same applies to the coaching/admin Staff.
However, as results continue to show, they have consistently, and painfully, fallen short in their endeavours. and if they have anything about them, they should resign en masse.
Anything less would mean that they are sticking two fingers up at the Club and it's army of followers.

In ANY other walk of life, they would have been sacked for incompetence.
I wonder what makes a sporting environment so different to the real world that we mere mortals inhabit.

Tomorrow will see another innings defeat. I've forgotten how many that will be for the season, but the bottom line is, I'm not really sure that I care anymore.
By exileKT8
Another heavy defeat and we are unlikely to make lunch on the 3rd day. We have been here many times this season. Only 1 more to go although we dread to think what next year might hold.

Agree with posts once more.

Vetch - in football and indeed rugby nowadays the Coaches would be long gone.

Glamman - if it is right that RDBC and MM don`t get on then the players will pick up on that and it no surprise there is an unhappy and under performing squad.

Notgoingout - Durham may have had a bad day, even worse than ours at Sussex, but considering the way they were shafted by the ECB, and the players they have lost they still won with ease in Cardiff and are in a lot better shape than we are.

Well done Kent who will be promoted tomorrow but this format of 14 fixtures cannot be fair. I am no fan of Sussex with Rob Andrew at the helm but they only play Glammy and Northants once. Not suggesting Northants are as bad as us but they have lost 8. Kent and Warwicks have enjoyed two guaranteed wins v us, Sussex could argue only playing us once has cost them promotion.
By psychocandy
Honestly, before the game started and someone said you had to bet your house on one of these two options, what would you have done?

1. Glamorgan to win
2. Glamorgan to lose by an innings.

Option 2 every time.

At the moment, we're not just bad we're not even in the same league as anyone else. Complete joke.
By runinthesun
To my huge regret it now seems obvious that change is needed from the top. Please players don't give up on Glammy! You have the potential to improve things next year, with the right support off the field.
By notgoingoutreprise
exileKT8 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 pm
Another heavy defeat and we are unlikely to make lunch on the 3rd day. We have been here many times this season. Only 1 more to go although we dread to think what next year might hold.

Glamman - if it is right that RDBC and MM don`t get on then the players will pick up on that and it no surprise there is an unhappy and under performing squad.

Notgoingout - Durham may have had a bad day, even worse than ours at Sussex, but considering the way they were shafted by the ECB, and the players they have lost they still won with ease in Cardiff and are in a lot better shape than we are.

Well done Kent who will be promoted tomorrow but this format of 14 fixtures cannot be fair. I am no fan of Sussex with Rob Andrew at the helm but they only play Glammy and Northants once. Not suggesting Northants are as bad as us but they have lost 8. Kent and Warwicks have enjoyed two guaranteed wins v us, Sussex could argue only playing us once has cost them promotion.
I pointed out the Durham game in isolation as just a fact,and in no way about how bad Glamorgan are.
By exileKT8
You have the right idea Vetch, now when I turn on ESPN cricinfo and see the latest the best policy is to laugh,

Is Selman`s contract up at the end of the season ? For all RDBC and HM saying players need 2 years Selman was at Kent and they didn`t think he was good enough.
By Vetchetarian
exileKT8 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Of course, you are quite right, exile. Coaches in other sports do often get shown the door.
So why has there been no such action at Glamorgan ?
Is there a clique joined at the hip, all safe in their posts, REGARDLESS of results ?
If so, how does it get broken up ?
Surely no one in their right mind will, a) renew their season tickets, or b) take one out as a new member.
Zero renewals, together with zero new season ticket sales, will that make anyone sit up and take some action ?
By Shamu
It’s all very well having g a pop at the coaches (and of course they are accountable) however, no one can coach a donkey to win the Grand National.
We have surplus donkeys !
By glamman
Have just seen we were bowled out for just 78 in the 2nd innings with Murphy again the only batsman to show any mettle.
Enough is enough as far as the people supposedly in charge are concerned.
By glamman
Shamu wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 am
It’s all very well having g a pop at the coaches (and of course they are accountable) however, no one can coach a donkey to win the Grand National.
We have surplus donkeys !
That is the fault of the management not recruiting effectively.
CC v Leics

We have picked the team I predicted, but really di[…]

AUSTRALIA

Eoin Morgan will not indicate to the spectators a […]

Gloucestershire

Not quite rotation as noone has been left out of t[…]