A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:28 am
Vetchetarian wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs.

Cook has scored 45 runs in 4 innings.
So that's a no I presume. :lol

Obviously Cook needs to score more runs, but you seem to be suggesting that a player can be judged solely on stats from two games without even watching them? What I actually question most though is that you described his performances in both games as "abysmal". Not his stats, but his performances.

Now having actually watched the Gloucester game, I would say that definitely wasn't an "abysmal" performance. The other top order batsmen were all dismissed before him and were lucky to survive as long as they did in some cases. Cook's performance was at least that of a professional cricketer and he was dismissed twice by a very good bowler in difficult conditions. Disappointing, but hardly abysmal.

Anyway, as others have mentioned it is presumably with next season in mind that he is here. And it may be that it doesn't work out, but he is exactly the kind of signing that the club need to be making for next year. Something tells me that if they'd stuck solely with the struggling youngsters, they would be getting at least as much criticism.
His stats equal his performance. 45 runs from our top order opening batsman who is, presumably, getting a very handsome salary is - ABYSMAL.
Scoring a " classy " 20 just doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather he ground out 21.

I am SO tired of excuses being made for the players who are constantly underachieving, viz, he was " unlucky ", etc.
Mercifully no one has come out with, well, the grass was too long, too short, too green.
Oh, and those nasty bowlers, they just kept on bowling, too straight, too fast, and don't get me started on those dreadful fielders who WOULD insist on catching those balls that we hit so temptingly in the air towards them.
Just HOW " unlucky " can a team be ?

As you can see, or perhaps you can't, I just don't take it seriously.
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:36 am
Nick_Glam wrote:
Vetchetarian wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs.

Cook has scored 45 runs in 4 innings.

Obviously Cook needs to score more runs, but you seem to be suggesting that a player can be judged solely on stats from two games without even watching them? What I actually question most though is that you described his performances in both games as "abysmal". Not his stats, but his performances.

Now having actually watched the Gloucester game, I would say that definitely wasn't an "abysmal" performance. The other top order batsmen were all dismissed before him and were lucky to survive as long as they did in some cases. Cook's performance was at least that of a professional cricketer and he was dismissed twice by a very good bowler in difficult conditions. Disappointing, but hardly abysmal.

Anyway, as others have mentioned it is presumably with next season in mind that he is here. And it may be that it doesn't work out, but he is exactly the kind of signing that the club need to be making for next year. Something tells me that if they'd stuck solely with the struggling youngsters, they would be getting at least as much criticism.
His stats equal his performance. 45 runs from our top order opening batsman who is, presumably, getting a very handsome salary is - ABYSMAL.
Scoring a " classy " 20 just doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather he ground out 21.

I am SO tired of excuses being made for the players who are constantly underachieving, viz, he was " unlucky ", etc.
Mercifully no one has come out with, well, the grass was too long, too short, too green.
Oh, and those nasty bowlers, they just kept on bowling, too straight, too fast, and don't get me started on those dreadful fielders who WOULD insist on catching those balls that we hit so temptingly in the air towards them.

Thankfully I didn't say anything about being unlucky or a "classy" 20.

The bottom line is that it is impossible to judge a player solely on stats based on two games. There are plenty of players who have had terrible starts and have gone on to great things and vice versa.
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:50 am
Vetchetarian wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:36 am
Nick_Glam wrote:

Thankfully I didn't say anything about being unlucky or a "classy" 20.

The bottom line is that it is impossible to judge a player solely on stats based on two games. There are plenty of players who have had terrible starts and have gone on to great things and vice versa.
"Unlucky " has become a byword for Glamorgan's performances, both individually, and collectively. Several posters have regularly hidden behind it, but that's O.K., it's not a crime to use it. I don't.

Presumably, with Glam being the unluckiest team in Div 2, Surrey are the luckiest of them all. Nothing to do with quality. :)

I fully concur with your last paragraph. I will ring his praises if/when he proves me wrong, and I will be more than happy to do so.
By notgoingoutreprise
Tried filling the side with Kolpaks and foreign players on British passports,and 1 or 2 Welsh players,did not work too well.A lot of grumbling about non Welsh players,now the side is full of them and still not working too well.What is next?
By Nick_Glam
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:10 pm
Tried filling the side with Kolpaks and foreign players on British passports,and 1 or 2 Welsh players,did not work too well.A lot of grumbling about non Welsh players,now the side is full of them and still not working too well.What is next?
Keep the non-Welsh players who perform well, replace the ones who don't?
By johnwales
Kiran Carlson shows promise, but he is one of just seven players averaging in their 20's.

No county can expect to perform in an environment that boasts so many developing cricketers !
By Glamorboy
I see that Ned Eckersley has been released by Leics; experienced middle order batsman averaging 32+ aged 29,and wicket keeper to boot!
Would he be willing to come here, and would we want him?
By Glamorboy
johnwales wrote:I would prefer a top order batsman, preferably with an average of 99.94. Eckersley at 32 is only marginally better than our rabble.
We have to take what we can afford-Eckersley's form has slumped lately, and a new challenge could be what he needs.
Agree we need a couple of top order guys, but Croft seems keen to recruit some older heads to help bring our youngsters on, and I can see some sense in that.
Iron Mike liked this
By Vetchetarian
johnwales wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:40 am
I would prefer a top order batsman, preferably with an average of 99.94. Eckersley at 32 is only marginally better than our rabble.
Putting some perspective on batting averages, the great Glam opener Alan Jones scored over 36 thousand first class runs and his average was only 32.89.
Different times, uncovered wickets, etc., but averages can be misleading.
By glamman
Glamorboy wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 am
johnwales wrote:I would prefer a top order batsman, preferably with an average of 99.94. Eckersley at 32 is only marginally better than our rabble.
We have to take what we can afford-Eckersley's form has slumped lately, and a new challenge could be what he needs.
Agree we need a couple of top order guys, but Croft seems keen to recruit some older heads to help bring our youngsters on, and I can see some sense in that.
We need batsmen who can bat in the top 3 and I am not sure Eckersley fits that requirement.
By djronnieb65
I dont think Eckersley is the answer to our batting problems
I think we need to look at players in the first division who don’t get too much game time that would be prepared to drop down a division to play for us
It won’t be easy to sign players as I’m sure they won’t fancy being in a team that gets defeated most matches
We will probably look to South Africa again for Kolpak players as they are a lot cheaper than players from the championship
Personally I would still prefer a man from outside to come in as Director of Cricket
This would put an entirely new insight on the state of the club and then let him sort out new coaches and new players at the club
An entirely fresh start is needed at the club to sort out the complete mess that the club finds itself in at the moment
As well as new coaches and players we also need a new captain at the club
That could be used to entice a decent player as Hogan has already stated he is feeling the strain at doing the job
By glammysupporter
It is time for a dedicted director of cricket to be appointed, and time to admit that combining the role with chief exec has not worked from a cricket perspective.

I appreciate that there has been some good work done in reducing the debt which was critical for the future existence of the club.

We have 1.7 million coming into the club in less than 2 years - hopefully on annual basis thereafter.

Surely we can put together a businiess plan that would include a healthy cricket budget that will allow us to be competitive in division 2. Other counties seem to manage it.

There is a lot of non cricket activity at the ground and I somethimes wonder where the monety is going, as we never seem to have any.

We have a new Chairman who I know nothing about, but he needs to drive this forward immediately, and make some sort of statement to the members.

From where we are now it will be a good performance not to finish bottom again next year.
glamman, exileKT8 liked this
By hujon64
Very sensible and measured words from Glammy supporter. I am unable to attend matches so rely on tv, articles, etc for info and am very grateful for this site. Hope someone who attends the meeting on Monday can put a full report on here. Many thanks.
PS Saw on Twitter that Mark Wallace was running this and seemed a good choice as he works for PCA and is their former Chairman, used to dealing with ‘problems’. However, due to work commitments he has withdrawn. Who’s doing it now - might not be an easy task!
By glamman
hujon64 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:11 pm
Very sensible and measured words from Glammy supporter. I am unable to attend matches so rely on tv, articles, etc for info and am very grateful for this site. Hope someone who attends the meeting on Monday can put a full report on here. Many thanks.
PS Saw on Twitter that Mark Wallace was running this and seemed a good choice as he works for PCA and is their former Chairman, used to dealing with ‘problems’. However, due to work commitments he has withdrawn. Who’s doing it now - might not be an easy task!
Hadn't seen any announcement about Wallace not being involved.
Cricket World Cup 2019 Schedule

Cricket World Cup 2019 Schedule Cricket world cup[…]

2nd XI

Absolutely pathetic from the Glamorgan media that […]

CC v Sussex

Another good start with Sussex at 68-6, but... wh[…]

Derbyshire

Not sure how we can rest both De Lange and TvdG. T[…]