A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glammysupporter
Surely something has to happen at Glamorgan pretty soon.

If you discount the T20 (where we did win a few games but still did not qualify) we have lost 13 out of 17 in the other 2 competitions and are bottom of both tables.

I am fed up being told that we are giving Welsh youngsters a chance.

We have been down this road before and it took a while for us to realise that Ryan Watkins, Dan Cherry, Ian Thomas and Jon Hughes were not good enough to play at this level.

I want to watch a side that is competitive. I want the games to go into days 3 and 4 with all results being possible, and if I go away for a 4 day game I do not want it to finish on day 2.

It is alarming to see how the cricket side has regressed since we won 6 games and almost got promoted in 2010.

I want some value from my membership as I am sure other supporters and sponsors do as well.

Of course we will lose games but the current situation is totally unacceptable and cannot continue.

Kiran Carlson is effectively being asked to lead the batting group which is unfiar on him. He is still a student and not even a full time player.

It is a shambles and I dont blame Aneurin Donald for leaving at the first opportunity.

Others will soon leave if things dont change.

The bowling is ok, but we are at least 2 good batsmen short of where we need to be amd our recruitment has been non existant compared to other counties.
exileKT8 liked this
By onemorerun
We may as well have a combined Glamorgan/Northants board, as the issues seem largely the same! Threads headed "Things cannot go on like this" and "Just when it couldn't get any worse" sum up Northants' season equally well.

In all competitions, Glamorgan have 9 wins and 19 defeats; Northants have 6 wins and 22 defeats. At home, we've had one CC win and one RL win (no T20). Our home wins have come on 23rd May and 22nd June. So two months now of turning up to watch us lose.
johnwales liked this
By glamman
onemorerun wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:32 pm
We may as well have a combined Glamorgan/Northants board, as the issues seem largely the same! Threads headed "Things cannot go on like this" and "Just when it couldn't get any worse" sum up Northants' season equally well.

In all competitions, Glamorgan have 9 wins and 19 defeats; Northants have 6 wins and 22 defeats. At home, we've had one CC win and one RL win (no T20). Our home wins have come on 23rd May and 22nd June. So two months now of turning up to watch us lose.
I don't disagree with the sentiments but we won 3 T20s at home - Gloucs, Essex and Hants.
By johnwales
There must be quite a few useful club cricketers in South Wales, as Glamorgan have experimented with numerous players over the last two years or so. Unfortunately none of them have stepped up to the mark in the first X1, even though several have recorded useful performances with the 2nds.

I compliment Glamorgan's policy of youth development, and genuinely feel that our county is possibly on the verge of better times. What is needed is a concentrated effort to place some of these kids in Australian club cricket during our winter months. We should also take a look at our wickets, although we have lost a few games by an innings, no one has managed a really big score on the SWALEC; and perhaps the management should be looking at the ground staff as well as the coaches.

But as the title of this thread clearly states ' things cannot go on like this ' !!!
By glamman
I have heard that after funding Donald to go to a coaching camp last winter the club aren’t going to provide any similar opportunities this winter. Personally if I was a young player at the club I would want to leave.
By notgoingoutreprise
glamman wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:39 pm
I have heard that after funding Donald to go to a coaching camp last winter the club aren’t going to provide any similar opportunities this winter. Personally if I was a young player at the club I would want to leave.
Didn't do much good for Donald this year,waste of money
By johnwales
I think Donald was a victim of the system. He was transfixed into T20 mode, and could not resist the temptation to hit everything out of the ground right from the start. And no matter whether you are Aneurin Donald or Colin Ingram success in this format is to a great extent down to luck. Donald was unable to adjust even to the 50 over game, and to a greater extent the four day game. In an era when one day cricket had less impact Donald would have been brought up in a more defensive enviroment, and I feel that he would have developed into a very talented batsman.

Good luck to him at the Ageas; I bet he achieves two centuries in Hampshire's remaining mtches !!
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
"I have heard ".

Here we go again. Source, please.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 pm
glamman wrote:
"I have heard ".

If you actually took an interest in Welsh cricket and spent time watching cricket and talking to people involved in the game you might hear these things.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 am
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:17 pm
glamman wrote:
"I have heard ".

If you actually took an interest in Welsh cricket and spent time watching cricket and talking to people involved in the game you might hear these things.
Which, of course, does not mean that ANY of the "things " you hear have any truth attached to them. I am mindful of old women gossiping over the garden fence. :)
By hujon64
Re: information/rumour/gossip
I don't see any matches live so listen on the radio, watch on SKY, read reports online and in newspapers, etc. However, I have one old friend who rings up now and again and we discuss cricket, amongst other things. He often gives me 'gossip' surrounding Glamorgan which has proved to be true every time. He says it comes from friends/relations of players associated with the Club (1st/2nd/academy/university, etc), admin, committees, etc, etc which is often discussed at matches amongst supporters and soon spreads! Examples: He knew all about the wish to sign Marsh, Donald wanting to leave and the disagreements between Radford and Rudolph well before anything was announced but the initial source was unknown to him!
By glamman
Found myself at a loose end so had a look at the players' averages so far this year. They don't tell the whole story but may add a couple of things to the obvious failings.

Concerns about Hogan have been raised and I think the numbers support this:
- in the Championship he is averaging 21.37 with the ball but that is primarily due to his low economy rate and his strike rate is only a wicket every 51 balls. That compares with TvdG at a wicket every 38 balls and De Lange every 43 balls. He has bowled 255 overs, 83 more than the next bowler.
- in the T20 he has not been the go to bowler of previous years. His economy rate was 9.04 and in the last 4 full games he went at over 12.

Carey has not replicated last year's form with just 13 wickets at an average of 45.5 in the Championship.

Questions about Salter in the 4 day game continue and he has only taken 16 wickets at 40. However I don't feel he gets much help from the wickets and he certainly did his bit in the 50 over games and was excellent in the T20 with an economy rate of 7.7.

The batting averages tell us what we already know - there are serious problems. In the Championship, apart from Khawaja and De Lange, Lloyd is the only batsman averaging over 30 (34.5). Marsh averaged 29 in his 7 innings. Carlson is next (25.8), then Murphy (24.6), Cooke (22.9), Smith (22.6), Selman (20.9) and then the rest. In Div 2 there are 48 players averaging over 30. Given we have 2, the other counties have an average of 5. Until we have 4 or 5 players averaging over 30 we are not going anywhere.
By johnwales
I don't think we need to look at averages and other statistics to come to the above conclusions. Every single player has failed miserably whether it be with the bat or the ball. If Glamorgan was a football or rugby club, sweeping changes would have been made in the management mid season.

I am not sure what credentials Robert Croft has in the coaching field other than being a top batsman and bowler in his day, as indeed were Hugh Morris, Matthew Maynard and Steve Watkin. I am a great believer that a team makes a coach and not a coach makes a team; resulting in so many talented coaches coming out of New Zealand.
English cricket is today swamped by overseas players who move from one county to another with the minimum of formality. Fifty years ago interchanging counties required a residency qualification. I am not saying that we should go back to those days, but I do think some stricter rules regards change of county should be implemented.
There have been rumours spreading in this forum that there is a divide between younger players and Robert Croft, which prompted Donald to run. These may be true, or may be not; but when a team constantly fails, it is inevitable that there is going to be some frustation between management and players. So should Robert Croft stay or go ? If he goes is there any one in the U.K. who could do a better job ?
I very much doubt it because the team is not good enough to expose a coaches qualities. Croft after all is on a learning curve, and should he leave Glamorgan he may well join a fashionable county and accelerate his career in next to no time.
So what do we do ? The answer to that question is very easy; ' I don't know ' !!!!
By Shamu
“Concerns about Hogan have been raised and I think the numbers support this:
- in the Championship he is averaging 21.37 with the ball but that is primarily due to his low economy rate and his strike rate is only a wicket every 51 balls. That compares with TvdG at a wicket every 38 balls and De Lange every 43 balls. He has bowled 255 overs, 83 more than the next bowler.
- in the T20 he has not been the go to bowler of previous years. His economy rate was 9.04 and in the last 4 full games he went at over 12.”

Hogan’s red ball stats this season are better than his career average !
The fact he has bowled most overs is a credit to his fitness - De Lange and Vdg have a smaller sample size due to injuries, so don’t merit comparison.

Agree that Hogan’s white ball death bowling has declined but given the choice between him, De Lange and Vdg to bowl at the death with Wagg - it’s a no brainier.

Salter is an issue due to his inaffectiveness to take wickets or dry up the runs - should have been ditched/replaced 2 years ago.

I won’t comment on the batting - other than it’s a complete shambles (Carlson excepted - although he will find next year a bigger challenge now that the word is out on the circuit about him).
Pre Season

Not sure how I missed this but the lads are in La […]