A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
As suspected Donald is leaving and moving on to Hampshire. Going immediately on loan. Wish him well. It is probably the best thing for him to do as things have not been going well for him here.
johnwales liked this
By djronnieb65
He probably didn’t want to end up like Ben Wright and a few other of the younger players
Not being part of the cliche of ex Glamorgan players and not getting the treatment and coaching to improve his game
No wonder he lost confidence
I wish him well at a county where he will be looked after and improve him as a cricketer
By Vetchetarian
djronnieb65 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 pm
He probably didn’t want to end up like Ben Wright and a few other of the younger players
Not being part of the cliche of ex Glamorgan players and not getting the treatment and coaching to improve his game
No wonder he lost confidence
I wish him well at a county where he will be looked after and improve him as a cricketer
How could he have been a " part of the cliche of ex Glamorgan players " when he was still playing for the team ?
NOW he's an ex Glam player.

He was apparently offered a 3 year contact extension by Glam, but turned it down. It seems the Club DID want to look after him. Considering his abysmal form he was very lucky, not a word generally attributed here towards Donald, to be offered even a weeks extension.
By runinthesun
Disappointed. Glammy try to build a team then players get snapped up by other counties. All got to make their careers, but still a shame.
By glamman
It will be interesting to see how Donald fairs at Hampshire as it will be a test of whether it is the player or the environment which has been responsible for the level of performance.
johnwales liked this
By exileKT8
In fairness to Donald playing for a Div 1 side or playing for the absolute rubbish we are seeing at the moment is a bit of a no brainer. Hants unlikely to be 68/6 v Durham any time soon. Does not reflect well on current management.
By Vetchetarian
exileKT8 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:15 pm
In fairness to Donald playing for a Div 1 side or playing for the absolute rubbish we are seeing at the moment is a bit of a no brainer. Hants unlikely to be 68/6 v Durham any time soon. Does not reflect well on current management.
Leaving Glam could well be the making of him.

Now, if only the rest would buggar off as well, Sophia Gardens could become a permanent pop concert venue, with the occasional T20 International match.
By johnwales
Glamorgan definitely need to pull themselves together. Only the rain has saved them another 2 day defeat. The Hampshire management have obviously identified that the form of Donald is down to the county hierarchy rather than the individual.

I personally feel Donald will establish himself in the First X1 and find the form to keep him there.
By runinthesun
Call me an unreconstructed optimist, but I will always be a supporter of Glammy and take the view that players and staff do their best for the club. Yes, I feel the losses deeply, but I see little to be gained by constantly knocking the efforts as if nobody cares or tries. Don't know why Donald going but I am not ready to blame the club out of hand.
By exileKT8
Runinthesun we all need to be optimists at the moment. There is a I suspect a lot of frustration on here from those of us like you who will always support Glammy and feel the hammerings, not just losses deeply.

Hats off to Durham who seem to be picking themselves off the floor after what they have been through but rain saving us from a two day defeat against them entitles supporters to ask questions of Staff and Players. We are told by HM and RDBC that this two year project to promote Welsh born young players will bring tough times, no argument there but then to lose a talented young Welsh player rubs salt in the wounds.
By hujon64
Feel incredibly sad and disappointed that a very talented young man has not fulfilled his potential with us. Although he's been having a roughish time recently had hoped that Matthew Maynard's influence would eventually pull him through. Don't know what Hampshire have offered him but I sincerely hope that his career flourishes in new surroundings and brings him the joys of success. Thank you for the good times - I shall follow with interest as I do with James Harris.
johnwales liked this
By notgoingoutreprise
As Morris has said,everything was done to improve Donald,including bringing in Maynard as batting coach,and sending him to the Gary Kirsten cricket academy.May it be he is not as good as he thinks he is?time will tell
By hujon64
I have received an email from a friend of mine re Colwyn Bay who says that Donald's wish to leave was well known and he was offered moves by other counties - thinks Worcester and Warwickshire so others must see his potential. Apparently, he was very disappointed with his form and the amount of coaching he was getting as Maynard is part-time and has to work with all levels of Glamorgan. Rumoured not to have got on with Croft.

I'm just stating the information I've received and I'm sure others are much better placed to confirm or deny the above.

Again, wish him well whoever he plays for - a youngster trying his best to make his mark.
By Vetchetarian
hujon64 wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:01 am
I have received an email from a friend of mine re Colwyn Bay who says that Donald's wish to leave was well known and he was offered moves by other counties - thinks Worcester and Warwickshire so others must see his potential. Apparently, he was very disappointed with his form and the amount of coaching he was getting as Maynard is part-time and has to work with all levels of Glamorgan. Rumoured not to have got on with Croft.

I'm just stating the information I've received and I'm sure others are much better placed to confirm or deny the above.

Again, wish him well whoever he plays for - a youngster trying his best to make his mark.
I raised a query regarding coaching some time ago, and got some shirty replies. I just wonder how much coaching the likes of Donald requires. This is a batsman who scored a double century a few seasons ago, so he clearly knows which end of the bat to hold, with everything else falling into place.
Players have dips in form, I fully understand that, but I get the feeling that Donald has played the lack of coaching card, with many others maintaining that he is unlucky, all to justify his appalling stats. Sadly, his dips were permanent.

Do Hampshire realise just how unlucky he is ?

He stagnated with Glam, and the best thing for both him and the County was that he move on.

I wish him every success in the future.
runinthesun liked this
By djronnieb65
It’s well known fact that Crofty has fallen out with a few players at the club
Donald as we all know has immense talent but unfortunately has not been showing it at Glamorgan
It’s not Nice to see a player lacking in confidence but there is always reasons when this happens
I do wonder about the coaching staff at the club as it does seem a job for the boys at the club
Durham have been in worse mess financially than Glamorgan losing players and having a player embargo
They struggled last season but look how they have picked up this year
Quarter finalists t20 improving form in championship and outplaying us in the cc game this week
It proves you can rebuild but the question is why haven’t Glamorgan been able to
We have not won anything since 2004 and appeared in the t20 final last year
We seem to be permanent members of Division 2
A lot of our yougsters that have come through have not made it and here we go again a statement from Hugh Morris who as a player blackmailed us before he signed his last contract
Make me captain again or I’m off
that the county are looking to find their own players and this will take a couple of years or so
I’ve heard this statement before so I wonder if it will ring true this time
Don’t bank on it folks
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]