A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By blackmoon
I have been a loyal supporter for 50 years and have never seen such a shambles. We are long overdue being part of the minor counties set up. Maybe this might stop us from being a laughing stock.
By djronnieb65
That win against Northants was a one off
We are now back to normal
Virtually bottom of the league and no better in the white ball
Let’s face it we are a poor team with the main reason being poor coaches who continued the trend of not winning, and not look like winning anything since 2004
16 years is a long time but not only that but most of the time near or at the bottom of our respective leagues
I personally don’t think Maynard will ever win anything as a coach with Glamorgan
We also have the brigade of ex players as so called coaches who don’t seem to improve any of our promising youngsters who often start well and then fade away
We had the chance to appoint a director of cricket but the details and requirements of the job made it more of a assistant CEO,hence,very few applicants and the job given to Wallace
We all love supporting Glammy but it would be nice to have bit more than the odd win to cheer about during the season
So Board of directors have a long think
Do you want a chance of success
If you do then have the guts to completely change the coaching set up and bring in coaches who can coach and improve the players and the team
By Jenks33
Is it really the first team coaching though? I’m not particularly pro Maynard but one of the worlds best batsmen (Marnus Labuschagne) cannot speak highly enough of him. Labuschagne’s record before his time with Glamorgan was pretty average but he says the coaching he received from Maynard and the changes Maynard made to his game were career changing.
The lack of talent coming through + the lack of money is the real issue. I genuinely think we could have had the best coach in the world in charge these past 2 months and we wouldn’t have done much better. It was always going to be tough in all formats without players like Lloyd, Smith, Labuschagne, Ingram.
Would Selman, Hemphrey, Brown, Morgan, Bull, Cullen, Douthwaite get into other county XI’s? Not for me. Even a player like Carlson who we all had high hopes for has shown nothing. Until we start producing better youngsters I fear we are always going to struggle.
By Bubbles
I think you are right but other counties seem to find these youngsters and play them regardless of age. Last night was a prime example. Golds worthy an 18 year old from Cornwall scored runs and took wickets.
Although I agree that we do not have talent in our squad the younger players all seem to be held back. I can remember us having four players in the England under 15 squad and none went on to play for us.
Labuschagne excepted we must look at our recruitment structure. As I see it we do not need the likes of Wagg who from what I see is trying to get a longer or newer contract. As I have mentioned previously he is a trier yes and Maynard is saying he is great to have in the dressing room. You ask any former player who played with him and he is regarded as a fruitcake! That is my own personal assumption from what I have heard and seen but needs to go in the predicted clear out.
I think the club is losing direction and people on big money are not earning their corn. I saw Maynards clip saying that it will be sorted out in the winter is not what we want to hear. Why hasn't this been addressed earlier?
:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
By Nick_Glam
I personally wouldn't have said that, "I've never seen such a shambles."

We are bad, of course, but we were much worse in the period before Croft left when we were regularly losing games by an innings.

We are obviously not good enough to compete with a team like Somerset, especially when we don't take our catches, but there have been a few positives this season. Sisodiya being one of the obvious ones.
By Nick_Glam
I personally wouldn't have said that, "I've never seen such a shambles."

We are bad, of course, but we were much worse in the period before Croft left when we were regularly losing games by an innings.

We are obviously not good enough to compete with a team like Somerset, especially when we don't take our catches, but there have been a few positives this season. Sisodiya being one of the obvious ones.
By Jenks33
Yes Sisodiya has been a big positive. I thought he bowled well again early on last night. Salter has also bowled well but was poor last night.
Going back to the lack of talent coming through my big frustration is for the last 15 years we have been unable to produce cricketers that are good enough to play county cricket. I’m not expecting us to produce as many top cricketers as Yorkshire/Lancs/Surrey etc but even teams like Northants and Leicester produce a lot more than us, they just lose those players to bigger/richer counties. When Worcester won the T20 a couple of years ago I think there were about 8 players in their starting XI that came through the academy. Although we’ve had some success in T20 let’s be honest we’ve been heavily reliant on Ingram. I appreciate that Cricket isn’t a big sport in Wales and there’s been criticism of the pitches in our local leagues but it’s shocking how little we produce when you consider our catchment area.
By hujon64
I agree with Jenks 33. As we’ve all said before, lack of cricket in state schools, clubs folding, pressure on youngster academically leaving less time for sport, fewer public schools in Wales, etc. We want Welsh youngsters in our Welsh team but perhaps they’re just not good enough even though they are in our academy. Cricket Wales is starting a new Pathway from next year, combining county sides so will that improve things?
By glamman
We obviously need to set up a system to ensure that talent is realised. I am concerned about what seems to have happened with Carey and his apparent lack of motivation to turn up in an optimum physical condition. I am not sure that Maynard is the ideal role model for physical conditioning but I guess it's a case of doing what I say, not what I do.

If we look objectively at players who have come through our academy system who might get into other county teams, at present we have Lloyd, Smith in all forms and Sisodiya and maybe Salter in white ball cricket. Carey should be in that list and perhaps Carlson but something has gone wrong.

I'm not sure a fielding coach is the solution. :doh:
By Jenks33
I thought the same Glamman regarding the fielding coach comments. Maynard was stressing last night about the importance of a fielding coach for next season but I don’t think that’s at the top of the list as far as areas of concern.
By lonwel93
It would be nice if in the last two games some Academy players were chosen. Other counties have found out that their youngsters can perform. How else will Glamorgan find out?
It would also be nice to see the team's scores without having to wince. A big need for change. Are the players not proud enough or are they just unambitious?
I know that I am a long way from the action but poor performance still hurts.
By Bubbles
Glamorgan doing badly hurts us all. Unfortunately nice guys must go.
Too many ducking under the radar to keep their jobs.
With predicted ECB cuts our coaching staff must be pruned and improved,
By glamman
lonwel93 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:57 pm It would be nice if in the last two games some Academy players were chosen. Other counties have found out that their youngsters can perform. How else will Glamorgan find out?
It would also be nice to see the team's scores without having to wince. A big need for change. Are the players not proud enough or are they just unambitious?
I know that I am a long way from the action but poor performance still hurts.
The problem is that introducing youngsters into a failing team is tough. Goldsworthy was making his 1st team debut for Somerset yesterday but was surrounded by players like Babar Azam - must be a great feeling.
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:23 pm Glamorgan doing badly hurts us all. Unfortunately nice guys must go.
Too many ducking under the radar to keep their jobs.
With predicted ECB cuts our coaching staff must be pruned and improved,
The problem is we need to be able to field 11 players for the first game next season. :)
By caergybi
Bowling isn't too bad but batting is poor and T20 this year worst for afew years. Ingram is missed and Wagg now past it.

On positive side Glamorgan have more T20 points than Derbyshire and Hampshire and ahead of Worcs on R/R. Doesn' say much for teh other three.

In terms of players what is the recruitment policy? Why is Phil Salt at Sussex for example - is it because he comes from north Wales?
T20 for 2020

The T20 tournament gets underway with a trip to Gl[…]

Glam v Worcs

Unbelievable and so exciting. Thought we were down[…]

Squad

Disappointing for Hemphrey to see he has been rele[…]