A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Cullen and Morgan with one year extensions. Am surprised Cullen has not been rewarded with more and am very surprised Morgan has been kept on.

Last year Morgan played 4 Championship games scoring 82 runs at an average of 16.4 and bowled 31 0vers taking no wickets. He played no 50 over games. He played in 5 T20s scoring 15 runs in total and bowled 5 overs 0/38. Obviously they still see him as having potential but I still do not know quite as what. I wonder if it signals that Patel will not be staying.

By my reckoning that leaves McIlroy, Sisodiya and Selman. Am slightly surprised Selman's position is yet to be confirmed as he is now back in Queensland.
By Nick_Glam
Slightly surprised to see Morgan staying, but presumably the coaches see something in him.

One year for Cullen seems fine. He did well last season, but is almost 28 so not a youngster anymore. He still needs to prove he's consistently good enough to play county cricket.

Presumably we will look to rotate the seam-bowling all rounders. Smith may well start as first choice, but I guess Douthwaite, Wagg and maybe Meschede will all see some game time in the Championship. Especially as we don't have too many experienced batsmen and may have to use all rounders at 7 and 8 from time to time.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:46 am Slightly surprised to see Morgan staying, but presumably the coaches see something in him.

One year for Cullen seems fine. He did well last season, but is almost 28 so not a youngster anymore. He still needs to prove he's consistently good enough to play county cricket.

Presumably we will look to rotate the seam-bowling all rounders. Smith may well start as first choice, but I guess Douthwaite, Wagg and maybe Meschede will all see some game time in the Championship. Especially as we don't have too many experienced batsmen and may have to use all rounders at 7 and 8 from time to time.
Smith just needs to stay fit. Plenty of ability with bat and ball as well as a good fielder. Meschede seems to have slipped back in the pecking order but has also has a lot of problems with injury. Douthwaite has lots of potential and I would like to see him slogging less as he looks a technically good batsman when he bats properly.

Morgan confuses me. Had a couple of good innings but I do not see him as a top order batsman. Bowls in the Croft mould. Do we need Morgan and Sisodiya? No word about a new contract for Sisodiya or whether Patel is staying.
By Ian
Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm
glamman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:48 pm
Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm

I know he's a Kolpak.

I'm happy to be proved otherwise, but I was under the impression that counties had to field 10 players qualified for England in their 50 over sides.
No such limitation. Only restriction is one overseas player as with county championship. If that was the case many counties would struggle to field XI
Happy to stand corrected.

Quite frankly, I'd rather see our own lads play instead of him.
Looks like this debate was a little redundant with de Lange being picked in the draft.

Interestingly, I think that Glamorgan ought to make a real go of the 50 over tournament. We've lost Cooke for it, and that's a blow. We've lost de Lange, big deal.

Other counties have lost far more players, 7 or 8 in some cases. I see a comment yesterday that Sussex will open the bowling with Jason Gillespie and a 15 year old from Arundel.

If we have a decent overseas batsman for it, like Labuschagne, or perhaps Khawaja, then I think we could do well. Our usual nemeses like Essex, Somerset, Hampshire will be missing their stars.

Will it be a South Group though? I think I read that the groups would be random next year?
lovecricket liked this
By glamman
Ian wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:28 am
Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:59 pm
glamman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:48 pm

No such limitation. Only restriction is one overseas player as with county championship. If that was the case many counties would struggle to field XI
Happy to stand corrected.

Quite frankly, I'd rather see our own lads play instead of him.
Looks like this debate was a little redundant with de Lange being picked in the draft.

Interestingly, I think that Glamorgan ought to make a real go of the 50 over tournament. We've lost Cooke for it, and that's a blow. We've lost de Lange, big deal.

Other counties have lost far more players, 7 or 8 in some cases. I see a comment yesterday that Sussex will open the bowling with Jason Gillespie and a 15 year old from Arundel.

If we have a decent overseas batsman for it, like Labuschagne, or perhaps Khawaja, then I think we could do well. Our usual nemeses like Essex, Somerset, Hampshire will be missing their stars.

Will it be a South Group though? I think I read that the groups would be random next year?
I may have been wrong about the overseas and that they will not be involved in the 50-over competition but I don't really know what is happening next year - a situation that seems to be shared by pretty well everyone else including the E&WCB
By glamman
I see that Hameed has been signed on a 2 year contract by Notts. Hopefully a change of scenery will see him recover some form. Notts not the easiest place to open the batting if the ball is swinging about.
Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Glamorgan strategy

Just watched a film about Glamorgan's future strat[…]