A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By lovecricket
I'm really pleased with this. The batting was much improved last year (although that was helped by some new signings).

We need some stability after all the years of change and upheaval.

Although Maynard is a Glamorgan man he's been away to other counties, countries and international cricket so has a wider experience.
By hujon64
I have made no secret of my approval of the Maynard/Wallace partnership as I feel they are long-term Glamorgan through-and-through and are highly qualified in their respective positions. Also highly respected in the cricketing world. I feel there was vast improvement on the pitch last year with a new air of purpose and vibrancy about the team. A 3 year term makes for a more settled environment and, if we can resign Labuschagne (inspirational by Maynard/Wallace) and retain Patel with a few other shrewd signings, I am hopeful of a good season. With our being a 100 Centre, will this mean more money for us to acquire and be more competitive in signing new players?
lovecricket liked this
By djronnieb65
This could be a good signing or it could be that we have the same old same old that we have had in previous years
I would have preferred us to sign someone from outside so that better outlook of the playing staff could be achieved
If Marnus comes back then I can see the improvement in 4 day continuity
However,our one day form especially in T 20 was a disgrace Maynard needs to address that from the start
We will all hope once again that the new season will give us some hope but I will have an open mind about our ability to perform in white ball cricket
Maynard now has the security of a three year deal so it’s up to him to prove he can still do it
If we don’t get Marnus let’s hope we get an overseas player who will be available for the whole season
By Bubbles
Welsh cricket fans want to see a winning side playing exciting winning cricket.
We now have a rest home for ex players to extend their working careers.
Maynard talks about Keiran Bull as if he is some sort of Shane Warne and the way Andrew Salter was treated I'm surprised he didn't up sticks. We had one man last year that saved Glamorgan but the rest of the season especially white ball was not acceptable. To get rewarded with a three year contract for mostly failings speak volumes about the club. Things will never change! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:55 pm The key thing is that the players are a lot happier than they were under Croft.
And you know this how, exactly ?

Have you interviewed the entire cricketing staff, and perhaps become a fly on the wall in the dressing rooms up and down the country ?

If so, perhaps you could post your findings for our delectation. :)
By Vetchetarian
Bubbles wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:19 am Welsh cricket fans want to see a winning side playing exciting winning cricket.
We now have a rest home for ex players to extend their working careers.
Maynard talks about Keiran Bull as if he is some sort of Shane Warne and the way Andrew Salter was treated I'm surprised he didn't up sticks. We had one man last year that saved Glamorgan but the rest of the season especially white ball was not acceptable. To get rewarded with a three year contract for mostly failings speak volumes about the club. Things will never change! :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
I thought it was just me.

' Jobs for the boys 'R' Us '. That's what Glamorgan C.C. has become.

Maynard was clearly going to be handed the job on a permanent basis, but why, is beyond my comprehension.

The short game results were atrocious.

The team were looking dead certs for promotion in the Championship, but Maynard forgot the golden maxim, " if it ain't broke, don't fix it ". He fixed it alright, taking the team from 1st to 4th, with promotion virtually thrown away, and has been rewarded for that. That was some fix. What a world we live in, eh ? Reward failure.

Compare that with Northamptonshire, who went the other way, from bottom place to promotion.

I read that Maynard is looking for silverware next season. Where is he looking ? e Bay, Amazon, Argos, etc. :)
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am
glamman wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:55 pm The key thing is that the players are a lot happier than they were under Croft.

Have you interviewed the entire cricketing staff, and perhaps become a fly on the wall in the dressing rooms up and down the country ?

Here speaks the man with his finger on the pulse of cricket and yet had not heard of Tom Banton. :doh:
With regard to the changes under Maynard, clearly you have no contact with cricket in South Wales. These players all play for club sides so if you spent any time watching club cricket (or any cricket for that matter) you might learn something.
Nick_Glam liked this
By Bubbles
Now now guys my dog is bigger than yours.
Good to see some passion though!
My prediction is that these franchises will be the way forward and the much loved poorly supported county championship will be gone. The entire Glamorgan squad were in the 100 draft and none got picked only our kolpak players.
By this time the head honchos will have pots more in to their pension pots and only the Welsh Fire left.
Save our bacon lads a Welsh X1 playing ICC cricket as well.
The end is nigh!!!! :shhh: :shhh: :googledeyed:
By glamman
Bubbles wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:19 pm Now now guys my dog is bigger than yours.
Good to see some passion though!
My prediction is that these franchises will be the way forward and the much loved poorly supported county championship will be gone. The entire Glamorgan squad were in the 100 draft and none got picked only our kolpak players.
By this time the head honchos will have pots more in to their pension pots and only the Welsh Fire left.
Save our bacon lads a Welsh X1 playing ICC cricket as well.
The end is nigh!!!! :shhh: :shhh: :googledeyed:
I am pretty sure Cooke is not Kolpak and I think is now England-qualified. Nor I think is De Lange.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:25 pm
Vetchetarian wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am

Here speaks the man with his finger on the pulse of cricket and yet had not heard of Tom Banton. :doh:
With regard to the changes under Maynard, clearly you have no contact with cricket in South Wales. These players all play for club sides so if you spent any time watching club cricket (or any cricket for that matter) you might learn something.
Hey sfb, where have I ever claimed to have my finger on any pulse apart from my own ?
You are the one making claims, and yet again you make one that you cannot possibly justify.

The changes made by Maynard are what exactly. :)

Watch as much club cricket as makes you happy, but I have better ways to spend my weekends.

What I have learned from your posts is that you are full of nonsense and innuendo. Where is the proof that I asked for ? You have none, just empty words.
By Nick_Glam
Am pleased, on the whole, that Maynard is staying. Our results and performances were generally much improved last season and it's easy for people to forget just how bad we were in 2018.

We still don't have the strongest of squads and need to get the overseas players sorted (one of our big problems in the T20 last year), but feel we can at least be competitive again next year.
lovecricket liked this
By Bubbles
The point I was trying to make is that the three 100 draft picks from GCCC are not Welsh.
I find the awarding of a three year contract to Maynard unfathomable. As mentioned he has been rewarded for performing badly. He should have been put on a yearly contract with the thought that if results did not improve we would look elsewhere. What has happened to Carlson Brown Meschede to name a few?
Salter seems to have got a raw deal early on and then showed his worth. Take Labuschagne out of the equation what was achieved?
Who will come forward and answer these questions? As mentioned previously the hierarchy are all on good money but for doing what? :brickwall: :brickwall: :dance:
Gerraint Jones

Is in the middle of training to become an on call […]

Maynard new 3 year deal

Maynard staying on as coach. Matthew Maynard: Gl[…]

Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]