A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Ian
I agree.

I wouldn't have given him a new contract:

- an expensive liability in t20
- unlikely to be the one NQ player in the 50 over team
- not suited to our home wickets in the championship
By glamman
Ian wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:26 pm I agree.

He is here as a Kolpak so does not use up the overseas space.
By davee
johnwales wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:16 pm I agree with that comment Glamman, Hameed has plenty of potential and would be a top recruitment for Glamorgan. I guess part of this demise with Lancs is linked to him being unhappy with the environment. Glamorgan desperately need an opening batsman who can stick around and see off the fast bowlers. Since the announcement of his departure; Hameed has been left out of the team.
There's too much baggage with Hameed, he is coached 24/7 by his father, apparently there's an attitude of 'what have you ever done?' to the coaching staff, it would need Bradman or Bocott as coach to earn his respect.
Mid season it rumoured that pater was negotiating with the Tykes, they're welcome to him.
By glamman
davee wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:06 am
johnwales wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:16 pm I agree with that comment Glamman, Hameed has plenty of potential and would be a top recruitment for Glamorgan. I guess part of this demise with Lancs is linked to him being unhappy with the environment. Glamorgan desperately need an opening batsman who can stick around and see off the fast bowlers. Since the announcement of his departure; Hameed has been left out of the team.
There's too much baggage with Hameed, he is coached 24/7 by his father, apparently there's an attitude of 'what have you ever done?' to the coaching staff, it would need Bradman or Bocott as coach to earn his respect.
Mid season it rumoured that pater was negotiating with the Tykes, they're welcome to him.
He might have had a reality check being released.
By Shamu
Glamorgan have recent experience of a young tyro who's ego betrayed his achievements and talent. Throw in an interfering parent as well ........... :brickwall:

Can't believe the club would entertain such a move.
By Ian
glamman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:35 am

I know he's a Kolpak.

I'm happy to be proved otherwise, but I was under the impression that counties had to field 10 players qualified for England in their 50 over sides.
By glamman
Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm

I know he's a Kolpak.

I'm happy to be proved otherwise, but I was under the impression that counties had to field 10 players qualified for England in their 50 over sides.
No such limitation. Only restriction is one overseas player as with county championship. If that was the case many counties would struggle to field XI
By Ian
glamman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:48 pm
Ian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:32 pm
I know he's a Kolpak.

No such limitation. Only restriction is one overseas player as with county championship. If that was the case many counties would struggle to field XI
Happy to stand corrected.

Quite frankly, I'd rather see our own lads play instead of him.
By Nick_Glam
Did they change the rules after it was initially announced? When the ECB stated that it was to be a "development competition", they said that there would be no overseas players involved.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:07 pm
Did they change the rules after it was initially announced? When the ECB stated that it was to be a "development competition", they said that there would be no overseas players involved.
I am not sure it has been fixed in stone yet. You are right - no overseas players has been proposed but I do not see any other restrictions on non-England qualified players.
By Ian
glamman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:20 pm
I am not sure it has been fixed in stone yet. You are right - no overseas players has been proposed but I do not see any other restrictions on non-England qualified players.
Yes, I'm pretty sure that this is what was in my mind.

When it was first proposed I'm sure there was talk of it being a development competition for England qualified players only, but as I can't find a source for it, I may have misunderstood. As you say they then allowed one overseas.

It's possible that the ECB has been persuaded by the counties, possibly for legal reasons.
By glamman
Ian wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:05 am
glamman wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:20 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure that this is what was in my mind.

When it was first proposed I'm sure there was talk of it being a development competition for England qualified players only, but as I can't find a source for it, I may have misunderstood. As you say they then allowed one overseas.

It's possible that the ECB has been persuaded by the counties, possibly for legal reasons.
I am not sure with EU employment laws how it would work. I am also not sure if people actually know who is England-qualified. I don't think Hogan knows if he is.
By glamman
Taylor, Cooke and Walker given contracts, the latter for 2 years. Not sure what "rookie" contracts are?

Wagg with another year - obviously they think he has more to give. Interesting to know how much he costs.

Well earned testimonial for Hogan.

Assume there will be more news about contracts to follow. As far as I am aware the players still to sign contract extensions are Cullen, McIlroy, Selman, Morgan and Sisodiya. Of those I am sure Selman and Cullen will continue.
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:52 am Not too surprised about Wagg staying on as he played so much cricket last year. He also clearly adds a lot in sheer attitude.

The comments about Labuschagne seem hopeful.
I think Wagg should just be used in white ball cricket where he had a reasonable season. Was however a bit expensive in 50-over comp going at 6.3 runs/over.
He scored some runs in 4 day games, averaging 32 but only took 17 wickets in 16 innings at 46.
Gerraint Jones

Is in the middle of training to become an on call […]

Maynard new 3 year deal

Maynard staying on as coach. Matthew Maynard: Gl[…]

Overseas

Events at Southampton suggest or confirm the fear […]