A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:43 am
Best of luck to Cooke and we all wish him well. I take it Captaincy decisions are usually made before now as the new season gets ever nearer so does this confirm the search to bring in an experienced Bat / Captain is over.
I'm sure that's right. The Captaincy could have been a carrot to lure an experienced opener and I would have preferred to let Cooke focus his attentions on his batting and keeping. If this does not pick up it is only right that his place, particularly in the 4 day side, would come under threat.

I guess the club is currently in limbo with money committed to Marsh and not knowing if he will be available. Not sure when the World Cup squads are announced but who will be left at that point?
By djronnieb65
I don’t think the club intend to make any more significant signings other than our overseas player
We are in limbo over Marsh as if he is selected for Australia then we will need another overseas player
As a team Cooke as captain was probably the best option but his batting averages are a concern
The team itself still has glaring weaknesses in the batting line up
Who is going to open the batting with Selman ?
If Marsh is unavailable then the priority has to be a opening bat overseas player
One can hope that next season will be better than last but we still have question marks on our two new players
If they both click and find form then we should show some improvement but it’s something we cannot be sure of
The one day cup without Ingram is a big blow as he virtually wins games on his own for us
I think if we all face the new season not expecting too much then maybe we will be pleasantly surprised
At least when they go for new players they can guarantee a place on the coaching staff when they finish playing (ha ha )
By glamman
djronnieb65 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:23 am
I don’t think the club intend to make any more significant signings other than our overseas player
We are in limbo over Marsh as if he is selected for Australia then we will need another overseas player
As a team Cooke as captain was probably the best option but his batting averages are a concern
The team itself still has glaring weaknesses in the batting line up
Who is going to open the batting with Selman ?
If Marsh is unavailable then the priority has to be a opening bat overseas player
One can hope that next season will be better than last but we still have question marks on our two new players
If they both click and find form then we should show some improvement but it’s something we cannot be sure of
The one day cup without Ingram is a big blow as he virtually wins games on his own for us
I think if we all face the new season not expecting too much then maybe we will be pleasantly surprised
At least when they go for new players they can guarantee a place on the coaching staff when they finish playing (ha ha )
Hemphrey currently averaging 37 in this year's Sheffield Shield comp and undoubtedly tthis is a couple of levels tougher than Div 2 county cricket. Hopefully having grown up playing in the UK he will be able to adapt quickly and I see him batting in the top 3. Will have to see how Root does. Without Marsh there is no player in the batting line up that the others can look at and know that they will deliver. It needs one of the others to step up. Hopefully the batsmen will find it slightly easier this season with the slight shift of the 4 day games to later in the season.
By glamman
I see that Marsh is back in the Australia ODI side today. Don't want to wish him ill but wouldn't do Glamorgan any harm if he failed. However I'm expecting an unbeaten century knowing our luck.
By glamman
Some interesting things to read today:
1. The club report and financial statements - it is a shame we will never probably know what happened during the Director of Cricket appointment and whether money and the job description restricted the applications.

2. A further 2 year white ball contract for Ingram. Practically this must mean just T20 as I assume he will be in one of the Hundred franchises and therefore not playing in the 50 over comp. I think it is still unclear how players will be allocated but I wonder if this means he will be playing in Cardiff?
By glamman
Just heard that WC squads not announced until around 13 April. I guess if Marsh included by Australia there will be players who have been left out by countries who could become available at the same time.
By hujon64
Excellent news that Ingram will be with us for the next three years for T20s as player and captain. An excellent, shrewd signing a few years ago and, fortunately, he has shown loyalty and love of the Club. I’m sure others would have offered him much more as a forerunner in this format.
I presume we’re still looking for an overseas opening bat but the uncertainty with Marsh and the announcement of squads in April, make this difficult, especially as we cannot compete financially or ‘attractively’ with other Clubs. Looks a little more promising this season so let’s get behind our new Management and Captain Cooke! Not expecting miracles but sound improvements would be great!
By glamman
Marsh out for 7 today as Australia score 313. Might be good news for Glamorgan.
However Smith and Warner not in the Australian ODI squad for games against Pakistan so not sure how they will be able to force their way back into the World Cup squad. No more games before squad chosen so that must increase the chances of March being included.
Perhaps we should have a thread - "Marsh watch"
By glamman
glamman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:47 am
Marsh out for 7 today as Australia score 313. Might be good news for Glamorgan.
However Smith and Warner not in the Australian ODI squad for games against Pakistan so not sure how they will be able to force their way back into the World Cup squad. No more games before squad chosen so that must increase the chances of March being included.
Perhaps we should have a thread - "Marsh watch"
Reading more it seems Cricket Australia will use the IPL to prepare them for the World Cup and the assumption is that they will be involved.
By glamman
Marsh out for another low score. Wish him well but might be good news for Glamorgan.
By glamman
Markram going to Hampshire for the start of the season.
Not sure Glamorgan can make any announcement until the Australian World Cup squad is decided.
By Nick_Glam
I guess some positives from the intra-match game in that Selman scored plenty of runs along with several of the other batsmen.

And I guess half of our players got to experience a rare victory. :)
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:53 am
I guess some positives from the intra-match game in that Selman scored plenty of runs along with several of the other batsmen.

And I guess half of our players got to experience a rare victory. :)
Hopefully will encourage some positive thoughts in players. See Carlson playing for MCCU team today against Sussex. Would be great to see him getting some runs.
Thinking about likely XI vs Northants:
Selman
Murphy
Marsh or replacement
Hemphrey
Root
Lloyd
Cooke
Salter
De Lange
TvdG or Carey
Hogan

Assuming Lloyd can bowl some effective overs. Otherwise maybe Meschede for Lloyd.
Back to 3 Welsh boys (4 if Carey plays) if we are mindful of the aim for a Welsh base for the side.
Batting does not look so bad depending on who comes in as overseas player.
By exileKT8
If it is the case that Glammy will wait until April 13th to announce overseas player then presumably we go to Northants without one.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:18 pm
If it is the case that Glammy will wait until April 13th to announce overseas player then presumably we go to Northants without one.
I would hope they might get some prewarning as to whether Marsh is likely to be selected but maybe not.
Cricket World Cup 2019 Schedule

Cricket World Cup 2019 Schedule Cricket world cup[…]

2nd XI

Absolutely pathetic from the Glamorgan media that […]

CC v Sussex

Another good start with Sussex at 68-6, but... wh[…]

Derbyshire

Not sure how we can rest both De Lange and TvdG. T[…]