A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By onemorerun
Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a miracle in the Championship, so I'm turning my thoughts towards our third T20 trophy in 6 years, the push for which starts four weeks tomorrow.

Assuming full fitness (!!) and no late no-shows from the overseas player, I think our team will be as follows (in order of selection):

Two Spinners - Prasanna and White
Opening bowlers - Kleinveldt and Gleeson
Opening batsmen - Levi and Rossington (also w/k)

Next batsmen - Wakeley (as Captain, he won't be dropped), Cobb and Duckett.

So that just leaves two places to fill, and we currently only have two seamers and 2 spinners (plus Cobb). That probably means two from Crook, Procter, Sanderson, Hutton and Buck. For the batting, at least one of them must be Crook or Procter. Whoever is omitted will be unfortunate (and of course Hutton joined us specifically to get more white-ball cricket).

That leaves out Newton (one man in form), Keogh (still our best fielder), Zaib and Vasconcelos.

It's not easy, but I think I'm leaning towards Levi, Rossington, Cobb, Duckett, Wakeley, Crook, Procter, Kleinveldt, Prasanna, White, Gleeson.

In reality, of course, half of these will be injured, so selection will be much easier.
By onemorerun
Keogh out for rest of season - details on club site. Shame. Vasconcelos coming into contention, though.
By onemorerun
Ladbrokes still have us at 25-1 to win the t20 (14th-favourites out of 18 teams).

Given 3 finals in last five years, with two trophies, that seems very generous.

Apart from Azharullah (and Keogh injured), all of the 2016 trophy winners are still with us, supplemented by Prasanna, Buck, Hutton, Procter, Vasconcelos, Gleeson (if fit), Newton (likewise).

Reason to be confident (could all change on Wednesday!) Anyone know anything about Gleeson's injury progress?
By Bucksman
onemorerun wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:51 am
Anyone know anything about Gleeson's injury progress?

Nothing official as you would expect, but he was bowling on one of the outer pitches during the lunch interval on the second day (21st June) of the Gloucs match, without any obvious handicaps or discomfort.
By Den Buckett
Wakely says he hopes 'the town' will get behind them for this competition - this really annoys me! Although the club is based in Northampton, the club serves the whole county - there are lots of supporters who travel from various parts of the county or even the surrounding counties who are being forgotten about.
By onemorerun
Rossington broken finger - two days before t20 starts. Happened in friendly/practice match v Birmingham.

Gleeson on paternity leave!
By onemorerun
I honestly think the second half of this game was the most pathetic performance I've seen from Northants, certainly in the t20.

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! They should have won this by about thirty runs. Crook's bowling was awful - based on this he cannot be regarded as a bowler again. Not that any of the others seemed capable of stemming runs when it mattered. Oh and White didn't bowl - not sure Wakely knew he was playing.

Fielding was often sloppy, with a number of fours going straight through boundary fielders.

And, after threatening to incur penalty runs many times before for slow over rate, we eventually did it tonight, which just about handed Leicestershire the game.

For about the last 30 minutes, we just looked like complete clowns. Total waste of an excellent batting performance.
By Den Buckett
onemorerun wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:36 pm
I honestly think the second half of this game was the most pathetic performance I've seen from Northants, certainly in the t20.

Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! They should have won this by about thirty runs. Crook's bowling was awful - based on this he cannot be regarded as a bowler again. Not that any of the others seemed capable of stemming runs when it mattered. Oh and White didn't bowl - not sure Wakely knew he was playing.

Fielding was often sloppy, with a number of fours going straight through boundary fielders.

And, after threatening to incur penalty runs many times before for slow over rate, we eventually did it tonight, which just about handed Leicestershire the game.

For about the last 30 minutes, we just looked like complete clowns. Total waste of an excellent batting performance.
Agree - and we have had these mistakes before against Surrey in the Q/F and Notts in the Championship.
We have all known that Crook is no longer capable in this form of the game yet he gets 2 overs whilst a tight Cobb only gets 2 and White not used. To incur a 6 point penalty is also beyond belief.
By Bucksman
Den Buckett wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:44 pm
We have all known that Crook is no longer capable in this form of the game yet he gets 2 overs whilst a tight Cobb only gets 2 and White not used. To incur a 6 point penalty is also beyond belief.

... and Cobb took a wicket, into the bargain. If Wakely is incapable of addressing the over rate issue, it is really time for the head coach to get a grip on what is, in effect, a disciplinary problem.
By onemorerun
Both run-outs came in Cobb overs, so basically half the Leics wickets fell in Cobb's two overs. Given Cobb's economy, and that of Prasanna's first three overs (18 runs ), why on Earth did Wakely not turn to White? Was he so scared by Prasanna's final over being hit for 19? Having seen Crook's first over hit for 17, why give him another one at a crucial time? It seemed to me that Wakely had (a) simply forgotten about White and (b) miscounted the overs when bringing back Sanderson and Kleinveldt at the end. I thought maybe he hoped they would bowl overs 16 to 19 and kill it off by the start of the last over, but the sudden reintroduction of Crook suggested that was overthinking it.

Wakely has won more trophies than any other Northants captain in history, and I am loathe to say this, BUT has his captaincy gone stale? Do we need a change? Someone who can read a clock? He didn't seem quite with it last night (minor injury in final over of our innings?). He dropped a catch (Ackerman) and was among the many Northants players fumbling the ball in the field.

Ripley was really quite disparaging in his interview (on the Chronicle site - the club site is somewhat sanitized). He says:

"We can have guys not being at their best but we've just got this malaise about us.
It's like we don't look at the bottom corner of the scoreboard that tells us the time.
It doesn't seem to bother anybody."

Let's be clear - Leics did not win this match - we lost it. They could not believe how bad we were at the end. Nor could the crowd.

I hope to see Procter in the team tomorrow, replacing Crook. It would be ideal if we could include Gleeson for extra pace, otherwise Hutton instead of Buck? And my prediction is that White will get a full four overs, on the coach's instructions!

Apologies to those who object to negative comments on the site, but when the coach is joining in with the criticism in such strong terms, something's got to change.
By Shortlegs
Wakely takes risks as a captain. Against Leicester it was bowling Crook rather than White, after our main spinner Prasanna was hit for 19. It didn't work, as it happens, but on another day Crook gets Ackerman out and we are once again praising Wakely's captaincy. Fine lines and if you take risks sometimes it goes against you.

The over rate issue is, however, totally unacceptable and it only seemed to be noticed when it was already too late - we needed to bowl 2 overs in 5 minutes, which was never likely to happen with the ball disappearing to all corners of the ground. Something must be done about this.
By onemorerun
Agreed it's fine lines, but arguably the time to bring on White was when Prasanna was pinning them down in his first three overs - spin pressure at both ends? If it hadn't come off, no-one would have blamed him for trying (and White has a habit of getting batsmen caught on the boundary). Crook should have been seen as too much of a risk, given his recent stats -

Crook's bowling last year - 10 overs, 0-106. This year, 2 overs, 0-34. On the evidence, not a wicket-taker. Ok, tonight, he'll take five wickets and be a hero!

Wakely has form for strange decisions - remember when Gleeson was injured in the QF v Surrey, and Wakely thought it was a great idea to complete the over himself rather than give it to a bowler? 24 runs off 4 balls (inc no-balls).
By Shortlegs
Agreed that in hindsight (don't we love it!) it was a mistake, but Crook's CC bowling figures were also poor last year and have improved dramatically this year, as has his batting, so hardly fair to use last year's figures. TBH I thought Crook's time was up as a pro crcketer and was explecting him to be released over the winter, but so far this year he's proving us wrong, except on Wednesday, of course.
By onemorerun
2nd match against Notts - 58 run defeat which in t20 terms is an absolute thrashing. Compared to the latter stages of the Leics match, we didn't look like clowns, we were just unable to compete with one world-class player in Dan Christian.

In contrast to the championship, our bowlers just don't look threatening. Last night it was Cobb's turn to be ignored. Duckett played well again, scored his 50 in two fewer balls than Willey in the 2013 final. Without checking the score again, I think he scored 70 runs more than anyone else. Apart from him, the longest Northants batsman's innings was 13 balls!

Again, Wakely seemed to have miscalculated at the end, meaning Crook came on for one random over.

Wakely just doesn't seem to be doing much as captain, and its starting to look as if three or four of our players are past their best.

I'd try to get Procter and Hutton in the team in lieu of Crook and maybe Buck or White.
By Den Buckett
Well there's not much to say. We look unlikely to get a single win in this competition which is quite a change from when we were competitive in more or less every match.

Good interview with Matt Walker here, discussing t[…]

Independent external review

This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have b[…]