A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Shortlegs
I thought it would be interesting to post the CC averages so far this season for our batsmen five games into the season. First comes number of innings, then runs and next average

Vasconcelos 2 86 43.00
Newton 6 175 29.17
Wakely 8 173 21.62
Cobb 6 114 19.00
Rossington 8 148 18.50
Levi 6 105 17.50
Duckett 8 100 12.50
Keogh 6 62 10.33
Procter 4 40 10.00

One player averaging over forty and he's only palyed one match and six of our 8 main batsmen averaging below 20, three of whom have averages you might expect from a number 10 or 11 in the order.

Of course there is the mitigating factor of early season green wickets, but even in that context these figures are awful and Sales and Ripley really need to sort this and make some brave decisions.

Short term I think we need to stick with Vasconcelos and bring in another loan batsman to ensure competition for places. Even so, we have no choice but to persevere with most of these batsmen. I would do this with Newton, Duckett, Levi, Procter and Rossington with Wakely as back-up.

Keogh and Cobb should not be considered at this point. Cobb is a very good and important one-day player but has rarely shone in CC cricket. Keogh has been out of form for so long he needs to go back to second team cricket to find form. I'm convinced that one of these two often plays in CC matches just to offer a spin otion but it must be remembered they are primarily batsmen and are not front line spinners. I'd much rather White or Zaib play. They must be better spin options and they won't score fewer runs.
So other than stating the obvious by saying that the batsmen to a man have let NCCC down big time, is there a more deep rooted problem with the coaching that is causing this?
I'm not suggesting there is, as I don't know, but maybe others know more?
It's so disheartening to know that in each innings, we struggle to compete.
Another factor, though not an excuse, is injuries to Cobb, Levi and of course Gleeson.
I also feel our T20 success has had a detrimental effect on the players trying to play a long innings in the longer format. Other than Newton, the top six are more known for their white ball cricket.
By Den Buckett
I would not like to blame the ting coach for this as I'm not sure there are many of these players are actually better than what the averages are showing. Duckett is obviously the main exception as we know he can do much better. Levi is a talented batsman but more suited to one-day cricket. The rest are either players who have come through our system or other counties have got rid of because they weren't good enough - the fact is they are just not good enough and a batting coach ca only do so much with what he is given.
By Bucksman
It could be argued the batting coach, as a fairly recently retired player from the team he was himself part of, and with little previous coaching experience, is perhaps too close to some of the more senior members of the present side to be able to offer a genuinely impartial and hard-nosed perspective of the current circumstances.

A fresh outlook from an 'outsider' with no previous ties or other club affiliations could be what is needed, albeit of likely greater expense, to make those realistic decisions deemed necessary to effect the required improved batting performance.
By onemorerun
Den Buckett wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:59 pm
The rest are either players who have come through our system or other counties have got rid of because they weren't good enough - the fact is they are just not good enough and a batting coach ca only do so much with what he is given.
Not quite true - Leicestershire didn't want Cobb to leave, and Middlesex didn't 'get rid of' Rossington - they just couldn't get him into the team as a wicket-keeper. Agreed, though, most of our batsmen are more suited to T20 than CC - but two T20 trophies in 4 years was something I never thought I'd see, so I'm not complaining!

It would be interesting to know who other counties have as batting coaches. I share Bucksman's concerns that Sales is too close to the team and has little or no coaching experience (school coaching doesn't count).

On the plus side, we've won a match (though I think we'll still be bottom). Better batting from Duckett, Proctor and Levi, but mainly down to bowling of Sanderson and Hutton - both looking like inspired signings.
By Den Buckett
onemorerun wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:48 pm
Den Buckett wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:59 pm
The rest are either players who have come through our system or other counties have got rid of because they weren't good enough - the fact is they are just not good enough and a batting coach ca only do so much with what he is given.
Not quite true - Leicestershire didn't want Cobb to leave, and Middlesex didn't 'get rid of' Rossington - they just couldn't get him into the team as a wicket-keeper. Agreed, though, most of our batsmen are more suited to T20 than CC - but two T20 trophies in 4 years was something I never thought I'd see, so I'm not complaining!

It would be interesting to know who other counties have as batting coaches. I share Bucksman's concerns that Sales is too close to the team and has little or no coaching experience (school coaching doesn't count).

On the plus side, we've won a match (though I think we'll still be bottom). Better batting from Duckett, Proctor and Levi, but mainly down to bowling of Sanderson and Hutton - both looking like inspired signings.
On Cobb, his batting average is 26 and bowling 88 so if Leics didn't want him to go it could not have been down to this.

We have a win at last - we did not learn a lot though as we already knew we had some decent bowlers. The batting looked fragile again.
I would imagine Leics didn't want Cobb to leave due to his one day ability, which we saw first hand a few years back.
A win at last with excellent performances from Sando and Brett.
The batting improved and I'm hoping that at least one of the boys will kick on soon to make a hundred, preferably at Glamorgan next week as I'll be there :clap:
Same team again I imagine?
By Shortlegs
Too busy to follow the match against Glos closely but congratulations to the county on the win (particularly Sanderson and Hutton) and let's hope it gives them some confidence. Batting looks like it was a bit better (but still with regular mini-collapses). Glad to see Levi, Crook and Procter back - in fact between them they scored well over half our runs!
Ghostie Mallender wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:59 am
I would imagine Leics didn't want Cobb to leave due to his one day ability, which we saw first hand a few years back.
A win at last with excellent performances from Sando and Brett.
The batting improved and I'm hoping that at least one of the boys will kick on soon to make a hundred, preferably at Glamorgan next week as I'll be there :clap:
Same team again I imagine?
If you made it to Cardiff, please pop over to Glam forum and join in the match discussion. You will be most welcome. :)
Well I wasn't expecting that! !
A fantastic partnership, very assured and responsible.
Duckett visibly grew in confidence as his knock went on and it is a tremendous innings both for the team and his confidence.
Well done Ben :clap:

Now that he's fit, is there an argument to play Me[…]

Sussex v Glamorgan

Nice trip then to the south east cost for game thi[…]

2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

In's & outs

Who is out & who is coming in for next season.[…]