A forum for Northamptonshire CCC fans
By Den Buckett
Was hoping for a change of fortunes as a new competition began v Leics, but shocked to see the team this morning with Keogh and Wakely still present! Both have now gone for single figure scores once again as our pursuit of 266 stumbles along.
By Bucksman
Injuries aside, the dismal batting this season continues to be the prevailing feature, with nobody approaching any sort of form, and it is difficult to see things improving greatly in the immediate future.

We have seen Cobb get several solid starts, but he has never none big scores, and too many of the others have become merely walking wickets. David Sales has to try and find a way of instilling some confidence from some quarter.
By onemorerun
Leicestershire 265-7 and as I type, Northants 154-8. Commentators saying it's the worst batting display of the season, which is really saying something. First five wickets all thrown away.

I think it's clear, or at least I hope it is, that we're a 2020 team. We're certainly not a 4-day team; I thought we might also be a one-day team but apparently not.

That D-word that so upset some Glamorgan fans last year is hovering in the air!
By Iron Mike
onemorerun wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:11 pm
Leicestershire 265-7 and as I type, Northants 154-8. Commentators saying it's the worst batting display of the season, which is really saying something. First five wickets all thrown away.

I think it's clear, or at least I hope it is, that we're a 2020 team. We're certainly not a 4-day team; I thought we might also be a one-day team but apparently not.

That D-word that so upset some Glamorgan fans last year is hovering in the air!
I come in peace! What D-word could it possibly be, doouble as in double cc win over us?
By onemorerun
Iron Mike wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 pm
I come in peace! What D-word could it possibly be, doouble as in double cc win over us?
Good to hear from you Mike. This Board seems to have few posters this year, and I look forward to the Glamorgan matches. as last year we got a decent number of posts from both sets of fans. Answering your question, late last year, someone referred to the teams at the bottom of Division Two as 'the dregs' and someone from Glamorgan took offence.

I would have used the term 'also-rans', although to be honest, this year that would not be accurate for Northants as we are yet to start running!
By Vetchetarian
onemorerun wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 10:32 am
Iron Mike wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:08 pm
Good to hear from you Mike. This Board seems to have few posters this year, and I look forward to the Glamorgan matches. as last year we got a decent number of posts from both sets of fans. Answering your question, late last year, someone referred to the teams at the bottom of Division Two as 'the dregs' and someone from Glamorgan took offence.

I would have used the term 'also-rans', although to be honest, this year that would not be accurate for Northants as we are yet to start running!
I well recall the use of the word " dregs ", and it was I who " took offence ".

The poster, whose name escapes me, tried to bluff his way out of the insult, but insult it was, and clearly intended.

The term 'also-rans' would have been a preferred, and far less controversial, use of language.

Most teams can fall into the 'also-rans' category, but none as the " dregs ".

All forgotten and forgiven now.

Peace.
By onemorerun
At Welbeck (wherever that is) v Notts

Northants team news - Crook and Buck replace Keogh and Kleinveldt from the last match.

I assume Kleinveldt's injured. Obviously, no news on the Northants website.
By onemorerun
Kleinveldt has a side strain, apparently. Every year we seem to have much of the squad out with the sort of injuries which you pick up when you're not really fit.

Anyway, 339-9 sounds a good score - we shall see. Bowling attack of Sanderson, Hutton, Buck, Crook, Proctor and White.

Good to see an innings at last from Wakeley, with Cobb, Rossington and Crook also seeming in decent form with the bat now.
By Shortlegs
Great win yesterday - at last! Good score and a bit of form from some batsmen - well overdue from Wakely in particular and let's hope he can kick on (how many times have I said that). Pleased to see Steven Crook doing well too as I honestly thought he was past his sell by date last season and didn't really expect him to feature at all this year. If he can keep it up he will be an important one day option for us this year.

Particularly pleased for the bowlers, who, even before yesterday, had bowled decently in most games, without ever having any kind of total to defend. That must start to erode confidence so it was important the batsmen posted a decent total for once and that both parts of the team did their bit.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully).
By onemorerun
Shortlegs wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:27 am
Great win yesterday - at last! Good score and a bit of form from some batsmen - well overdue from Wakely in particular and let's hope he can kick on (how many times have I said that). Pleased to see Steven Crook doing well too as I honestly thought he was past his sell by date last season and didn't really expect him to feature at all this year. If he can keep it up he will be an important one day option for us this year.

Particularly pleased for the bowlers, who, even before yesterday, had bowled decently in most games, without ever having any kind of total to defend. That must start to erode confidence so it was important the batsmen posted a decent total for once and that both parts of the team did their bit.

Onwards and upwards (hopefully).
Agree with all that. Apparently our first win in Nottinghamshire in any competition for 15 years. Though of course we did beat them at Edgbaston in the T20 semi.

If we can avoid injuries, I'm feeling confident again about the T20, but the absence of Gleeson and Kleinveldt (?) makes our squad look fairly thin. Is Azhar keeping fit?
By Shortlegs
If we can avoid injuries, I'm feeling confident again about the T20, but the absence of Gleeson and Kleinveldt (?) makes our squad look fairly thin. Is Azhar keeping fit?
[/quote]

Without Gleeson and Kleinveldt we still managed to field 4 decent quality seamers yesterday + Crook, who may prove a useful 5th option. The batting is more of a concern to me. If any batsmen from yesterday's team gets injured, and given Newton's injury, the only replacement we seem to have is Keogh, who has been woefully out of form for a long time.

Now that he's fit, is there an argument to play Me[…]

Sussex v Glamorgan

Nice trip then to the south east cost for game thi[…]

2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

In's & outs

Who is out & who is coming in for next season.[…]