A forum for Lancashire CCC fans
By davee
Who is out & who is coming in for next season.
The playing staff has looked overloaded for the last few seasons since Peter Moores departure , presumably to let the new coach have a good look at the staff. A good clearout is now long overdue so who is going?

Kerrigans future looks doubtful having gone on loan to Northants.
Brown seems to only be considered for pyjama games.
Procter overlooked for T20 doesn't seem to make the squad nowadays, Clarke being prefered and is rumoured to have had talks with Northants recently.
Joss Buttler wants a move back to Somerset apparently.
By chris
davee wrote:
Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:33 pm
Who is out & who is coming in for next season.
The playing staff has looked overloaded for the last few seasons since Peter Moores departure , presumably to let the new coach have a good look at the staff. A good clearout is now long overdue so who is going?

Kerrigans future looks doubtful having gone on loan to Northants.
Brown seems to only be considered for pyjama games.
Procter overlooked for T20 doesn't seem to make the squad nowadays, Clarke being prefered and is rumoured to have had talks with Northants recently.
Joss Buttler wants a move back to Somerset apparently.
Brown even lost out in the two last T20 matches, in one of the most bizarre selectorial decisions: Promoting Clark to open and batting Jones so low that he didn't bat.

2017 T20 batting:
Brown 221 runs in 10 innings SR 126 HS 61
Vilas 209 runs in 12 innings SR 120 HS 40
Croft 145 runs in 11 innings SR 113 HS 62

Hard facts alone might not have been behind Chapple's decision.
Procter, Brown nor Kerrigan selected for 2s games lately.

Chanderpaul and McLaren are only on a one year contract. Vilas (like Procter, Kerrigan and Brown) contracted for 2018.

Lester and Guest are the only players not to have played for the firsts this year. Both only have contracts for 2017.

Lamb has been very disppointing for the 2s recently. They did not annouce the length of his and Jones' first full pro contracts.

Could be wholesale changes, but will they release before securing replacements? Could be like transfer deadline day and nothing actually happens.
By davee
Could he annoucement of Crofts Benefit be precursor to his 'stepping down to concentate on the benefit' and disappearing over the horizon?
By chris
davee wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am
Could he annoucement of Crofts Benefit be precursor to his 'stepping down to concentate on the benefit' and disappearing over the horizon?
I can see him stepping down, at some stage to concentrate on the benefit unless things get off to a good start.
But I can't see him disappearing over the horizon. Some would for 2019 but I can't see it happening in his case.
By Alex
I hope McLaren stays for another year, as overseas players go you can't argue with the impact he's had!
By davee
I hope so, when he was signed I thought 'Oh no, popgun bowler - cannon fodder!' but he has certainly impressed this season and must be a contender for Player of the Year.
By LankyShark
Disappointed to hear that Buttler wants to go back to Somerset

If true, would that still apply if they are relegated?

Can't believe that they retained Brown last year whilst letting Reece go. That's not just in hindsight either.
By davee
Personally I would prefer to be without Buttler, signing him sent all the wrong messages out.
Reece was released last year wrongly I thought because of non playing issues. I think punching a wall because of getting out to a silly shot shows he cares about his game, a silly thing to do but not a reason to get rid of him.
By LankyShark
I am sure that another Lancs player punched a wall recently though perhaps when playing for a club side. He (fortunately) is still around. I wonder why the different treatment.

When Buttler was first signed I agreed with you. But I think that there is a difference between not signing him at the time and letting him go now. I would prefer him to stay.

However of course if Somerset were to swap positions with the team currently just above them by the end of the season, then maybe the disappointment of him going might be mitigated somewhat!!
By Alex
We've got more out of him than in previous seasons however if he left we still have 2 keepers with Vilas being around as well.

Finn is also a no go as he's signed a new deal at Middlesex
By LankyShark
Probably I am wrong to do, but I don't tend to think of him as a wicketkeeper but really as a one-day batsman who can keep wicket and hold his own as a batsman in the CC.

I suppose it could be argued that he failed by my definition of him as Lancs didn't reach the knockout stages in either competition. I would though probably suggest that if that was the case with him, then without him, or an equally prominent replacement ( who was available for most of the games) then it would be impossible.
By LankyShark
Somerset in big trouble now and with all the stories around about players being told to play in Div 1, I am increasingly hopeful the rumour of him leaving will prove inaccurate.

It would have been nice though (could still happen) to have seen Yorks in Div 2.
By Red and rosy
The club are negotiating with McLaren to come back next year although he is undecided as hehas a young family and is obviously hard to be away from them for 6 months.

He has been a very good signing although his bowling one the one day stuff wasn't the best.

Maybe make him captain if he does come back.

Others out of contract are Lester Clark Anderson Chanderpaul and Guest.

Would think these players have done enough to be offered new deals.
By chris
Red and rosy wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:34 am
The club are negotiating with McLaren to come back next year although he is undecided as hehas a young family and is obviously hard to be away from them for 6 months.

He has been a very good signing although his bowling one the one day stuff wasn't the best.

Maybe make him captain if he does come back.

Others out of contract are Lester Clark Anderson Chanderpaul and Guest.

Would think these players have done enough to be offered new deals.
Heard that they are negotiating with Chanderpaul.
Whilst I agree that those players are likely to be offered new contracts, there will be some ins and outs, so that would mean that one or two players are released from their contracts early, similarly to Buck last year. Otherwise how do you add strength to the squad?
Plus Bohannon had a better season than Guest in the 2s.
By LankyShark
I feel that there is a group of very average players who are perhaps too good to be playing 2nd X1 but are not and never will be good enough to be regular or even semi-regular first teamers.

They have the occasional good performance that they and their supporters can point to, but these are too few and far between to make them good county players. And I believe that there are far more of them than there used to be.

With all the importance that is placed on international cricket perhaps salaries for the county player have dropped even further behind, not only other sports but other professions too. And with all the alternative distractions at weekend perhaps those who can do something else choose to do it.

Whilst I have always hated seeing anyone lose their job, there is a largeish number of players who I think should be released, many of whom are not on the list above. The problem is that I don't think that there is sufficient ability around to replace them.
2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

The End of Test Cricket

The current format of Test Cricket Tours is going […]

In's & outs

Who is out & who is coming in for next season.[…]

Sussex v Glamorgan

Nice trip then to the south east cost for game thi[…]