A forum for Kent CCC fans
By temporary
....so he said to Radio Kent during this final weak defeat to Glamorgan. WTF planet does he live on? Maybe his personal stats have been OK but if he's got any time for the wider team can't he see it's been an absolutely disgraceful summer. They've gone backwards in every format. The facts: CC last year 2nd, this year mid table mediocrity with the second half of the season a total shambles. 50 over cup last year QF this year rock bottom with a whole string of spineless performances. T20 last year QF this year bottom half with the odd sporadic showing but overall just not capable of delivering. As for individuals, everyone has gone backwards or at best flattened out. No young players have come through, don't know if that's because they've wrongly stuck with current failures or the young ones are just not developing. As always the whole approach smacks of complacency. Not just Denly's comment but even worse Walker's "The boys have put in a lot of effort this year though it hasn't really happened for us". Well what's he going to do about it? It just sounds as if he's accepting uselessness. At the start of the season he claimed to be excited by our one day prospects. Where did that go? Are we going to hear any apology or explanation? I doubt it. As Denly seems most interested in his personal stats I'll offer mine. Spitfire Member, 11 matches, 3 wins, 8 defeats most of them inevitable and uncompetitive from the first over, membership + petrol money about £255 ie £85 per win. Can't get much worse value that that so next season I'll be a lapsed member.

As a footnote one good thing has come out of this summer for me. I've found an alternative much better value sport to attend, namely polo. I'd recommend it to anyone. It's played nearly every day late April to late Sep at Cowdray Park (near Midhurst), free on weekdays, £5 weekends, just drive up to the pitch edge and get your picnic out. Fast, exciting and very customer friendly.
By gmdf
As far as I can see Joe, who isn't either Captain or one of the stand in Captains Kent have used over the past couple of seasons (Stevens, Gidman & Billings, from memory), was being asked about his own form and feelings - in light of the fact that he'd just passed 10,000 career runs and scored his 4th CC century of 2017. Given that to say something negative about the team would have been out of place, especially in the middle of a game.

The truth is that he had an excellent season, but was let down by the contributions of other players, some experienced (Coles, Tredwell, Claydon, Gidman, Bell-Drummond for example) and some less so.

But then, if one looks at cricket fans as a whole, how many are likely to be really happy this year - Essex, Worcs, Notts (just) and...? I doubt whether watching, say, Warwickshire, Middlesex, Gloucs, Glamorgan , Durham, Derbyshire or Leicestershire was any more fun - the first two being relegated, the other 5 finishing well behind behind Kent. And whilst most of those won nearly as many CC games as Kent, Leics didn't win any....
By gmdf
And I've just seen this Tweet:
@OptaJim Who scored the most runs in all 3 county cricket competitions combined this season?
2 replies 0 retweets 2 likes
Reply 2 Retweet Like 2 Direct message

Dan Atherton‏
@DanAtherton90
Follow
More
Replying to @kentcricket @OptaJim
1) Sangakkara 2) Denly 3) Samit 4) Cosgrove 5) Mitchell - Most runs across CC, Royal LDN & Blast in 2017.
10:41 PM - 29 Sep 2017
"But then, if one looks at cricket fans as a whole, how many are likely to be really happy this year - Essex, Worcs, Notts (just) and...? I doubt whether watching, say, Warwickshire, Middlesex, Gloucs, Glamorgan , Durham, Derbyshire or Leicestershire was any more fun - the first two being relegated, the other 5 finishing well behind behind Kent."

I'm afraid other fans' (possible) disappointment doesn't mitigate mine. What I've had enough of is Kent's abject uselessness and complacency. And in any case your analysis is based on the CC alone. If you look at each team's ranking over the 3 formats Kent are second worst, just a whisker above Durham. And if Walker just sees it as "not happening for us" implying it might "happen" next year with the same bunch of has beens, never will bes and no application to the task then it's time for him to go.
By gmdf
temporary wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:41 pm
"But then, if one looks at cricket fans as a whole, how many are likely to be really happy this year - Essex, Worcs, Notts (just) and...? I doubt whether watching, say, Warwickshire, Middlesex, Gloucs, Glamorgan , Durham, Derbyshire or Leicestershire was any more fun - the first two being relegated, the other 5 finishing well behind behind Kent."

I'm afraid other fans' (possible) disappointment doesn't mitigate mine. What I've had enough of is Kent's abject uselessness and complacency. And in any case your analysis is based on the CC alone. If you look at each team's ranking over the 3 formats Kent are second worst, just a whisker above Durham. And if Walker just sees it as "not happening for us" implying it might "happen" next year with the same bunch of has beens, never will bes and no application to the task then it's time for him to go.
To sack Matt Walker after just one year in charge would be a panic measure, and quite uncalled for. Given Alan Donald's arrival early next year, I would want to see the 'Walker-Donald' axis given time to show what they can get out of the players.

And, as far as the players are concerned, I disagree 100% with your comment that the team is a "bunch of has beens, never will bes" (sic).

In Northeast, Bell-Drummond, Billings & Dickson see players who are all improving and can still build on good records in first team cricket. In Denly we have a player at the peak of his career - which will, we hope, last for a few seasons. In Stevens we are witnessing the wonderful 'Indian Summer' of a fine county player. And Qayyum & Crawley have made promising starts to their careers, with the promise of more to come.

But there is a problem with the bowling, which is clear to all supporters (and, based on the replies given at club forums, to the club and coaching staff too). At least one of Hunn, Haggett, Thomas and Stewart needs to force themselves into automatic selection for the 1st team. In addition we need a couple of signings of fast bowlers. Hopefully the bowling attack as a whole will gain from Alan Donald's expertise next season.
It is a concern to me that Kent have not recruited any bowlers for next season yet. Other counties have already strengthened and it would be nice if we could do likewise. Am hoping Allan Donald will improve the bowlers we already have but it is painfully obvious that we will not achieve promotion if we do not get at least two more in. On another note do the Coles leaving rumours have any foundation. If so we will need another three!
It is a bit annoying everytime you see someone like Ravi Rampaul getting signed by counties around our level. Someone like Ravi would only be part of what we need...which is probably more like 2 or 3 pace bowling signings, but would be a good start IMO given his experience/ effectiveness recent seasons, fact he is early 30s with a good 2/3 years left in him if someone works with him on fitness etc.
By gmdf
Trundler wrote:It is a bit annoying everytime you see someone like Ravi Rampaul getting signed by counties around our level. Someone like Ravi would only be part of what we need...which is probably more like 2 or 3 pace bowling signings, but would be a good start IMO given his experience/ effectiveness recent seasons, fact he is early 30s with a good 2/3 years left in him if someone works with him on fitness etc.

Rampaul's record at Surrey this season wasn't wonderful (3 wickets @64). Can't say he would have been high on my list of desirable signings.
You would certainly hope that some recruitment is planned. Derbyshire have given Rampaul a 3 year contract which is I would suggest a good deal for the player. Ben Hutton is a good signing for Northants - hopefully that is the type of player we are looking at. Do wonder if Allan Donald may have a say in bowler recruitment. We can hope!
TBF to Rampaul, Surrey have far more players available and they mostly used him for one day stuff-18 at 24 in RL 1 day not terrible-better than anything we had I think.
But it was more the recruitment I was on about rather than RR specifically , the attack has been pretty weak overall (venerable Darren apart) & just recruiting a few stars & loaners for short spells hasn't done it for us.
gmdf wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 am
To sack Matt Walker after just one year in charge would be a panic measure, and quite uncalled for. Given Alan Donald's arrival early next year, I would want to see the 'Walker-Donald' axis given time to show what they can get out of the players.

And, as far as the players are concerned, I disagree 100% with your comment that the team is a "bunch of has beens, never will bes" (sic).

In Northeast, Bell-Drummond, Billings & Dickson see players who are all improving and can still build on good records in first team cricket. In Denly we have a player at the peak of his career - which will, we hope, last for a few seasons. In Stevens we are witnessing the wonderful 'Indian Summer' of a fine county player. And Qayyum & Crawley have made promising starts to their careers, with the promise of more to come.

But there is a problem with the bowling, which is clear to all supporters (and, based on the replies given at club forums, to the club and coaching staff too). At least one of Hunn, Haggett, Thomas and Stewart needs to force themselves into automatic selection for the 1st team. In addition we need a couple of signings of fast bowlers. Hopefully the bowling attack as a whole will gain from Alan Donald's expertise next season.
Well you haven't disagreed 100% as you agree the bowling is a problem. What you have done (as frequently in the past) is deliver a few counter examples which do not hide the overall picture. The overall picture (clear both statistically and from being a personal observer of its uselessness) is that last season's team was the second worst in the country. Also your only counter example I would fully agree with is Denly. Admittedly I'm primarily talking about white ball which is what I paid to see but Northeast and Bell Drummond didn't really shine and frankly Billings often played like a clown. And not wanting to detract from his fine history but Stevens appeared to be finally on the wane. And the others are unproven - they may do well but that would be an exception to the long string of past "promising" players who rarely delivered long term. In my opinion retaining Walker would just represent complacency spreading up from him to the club management. Anyway I don't suppose it really matters any more as I'm kicking them into touch next year and going to polo instead.
By gmdf
temporary wrote:
gmdf wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:04 am

Well you haven't disagreed 100% as you agree the bowling is a problem. What you have done (as frequently in the past) is deliver a few counter examples which do not hide the overall picture. The overall picture (clear both statistically and from being a personal observer of its uselessness) is that last season's team was the second worst in the country. Also your only counter example I would fully agree with is Denly. Admittedly I'm primarily talking about white ball which is what I paid to see but Northeast and Bell Drummond didn't really shine and frankly Billings often played like a clown. And not wanting to detract from his fine history but Stevens appeared to be finally on the wane. And the others are unproven - they may do well but that would be an exception to the long string of past "promising" players who rarely delivered long term. In my opinion retaining Walker would just represent complacency spreading up from him to the club management. Anyway I don't suppose it really matters any more as I'm kicking them into touch next year and going to polo instead.

'Polo'? Isn't that a mint with a hole, not a sport? :doh:

As regards the bowling, I don't think a single supporter I've met or spoken to would disagree that the bowling has needed improvement. Certainly it has been brought up at virtually every club forum I've attended for probably 3 or 4 seasons. Yet this season we saw Parnell, Harris, Yasir Shah and Milne all playing for Kent - I suspect we'd have all settled for them making some appearances if offered it last March. Sadly, Stevens apart, the other regular bowlers did not produce statistics that they will be proud of, especially the (now departing) Matt Coles.

I watched all three competitions, and whilst we under performed in the 50 over game, in T20 we were still in with a chance of qualifying when we came to play the last game, despite our indifferent and patchy form. At that point, in the second half of August, we were still in with a chance of winning the T20 and gaining promotion to Div 1 of the CC. Does that make us the 'second worst' team in the country? Well, you can think that if you wish - I can only see it as a ludicrous exaggeration. :yes:

Still, I hope you enjoy your mint flavoured sport next year. I can guarantee you won't bump into me there. :lol

NB I guess your choice of moniker on this site, 'Temporary', was well chosen. No true cricket fan would react as you claim to be doing.... :no:
gmdf wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 pm
I watched all three competitions, and whilst we under performed in the 50 over game, in T20 we were still in with a chance of qualifying when we came to play the last game, despite our indifferent and patchy form. At that point, in the second half of August, we were still in with a chance of winning the T20 and gaining promotion to Div 1 of the CC. Does that make us the 'second worst' team in the country?
Yes I'm afraid it does. It's not relevant where they were in the second half of August. They flopped and in the final analysis, which is all that matters, they were the second worst team in the country. I'm afraid you're being selective again. If they had been bottom of everything in August and then won trophies, I doubt you'd have said it was a poor season.

And by the way you should give polo a try. I've only dumped Kent after suffering yet another miserable season. Don't dump polo on the basis of some prejudice, see what it's like first.
madmickeyt wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 am
i think temps had a previous moniker of permanent on one of the old forums, so i wouldnt read too much into that.

am sure he will be back once he has calmed down! man cannot live by polos alone.
No I was never "Permanent". That was someone criticising me, I think he/she lasted about 2 posts so didn't really live up to their name. I used to be Onionhead but other posters said that was a stupid name. Some work colleagues held a competition to give me a new name so I used Temporary while awaiting the verdict. They never came up with anything so it stuck.
madmickeyt liked this
Will Bragg retires.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42082869 I had a snea[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Overseas activities

I've noticed that some Glamorgan players have been[…]

Unacceptable behaviour.

Stokes. Bairstow. Duckett. Just what is going on […]