Share the latest news and broadcast your views, use this board for topics that relate to more than one county
By PaulTavs
Hampshire, and once again Kent, will participate in the WICB Regional Super50, with the first match for Kent today.

It's a quite radical move, effectively extending the clubs' competitive period by two months, but has received negligible attention, even though they are participating in the West Indies' official 50 over cup.

Even though Kent will be playing the USA, which is a great story, the cricket media would rather focus on anyone in the England set-up failing to be in bed by 10pm, while of course the mainstream sports media is more interested in someone signing a loan deal at AFC Fylde.

For the digital age, coverage seems scant, and I do not know if there is commentary on any games, but please post if you know of anything. There was some very simple fixed webcam coverage at at least one venue last year.

Given that coverage is so poor, please post any news, views, links, etc., here!

The counties' games are as follows:

T&T Red Force v Hampshire - Thursday 1st February

Barbados Pride v Hampshire - Saturday 3rd February

CCC Marooners v Hampshire - Monday 5th February

Hampshire v Windward Volcanoes - Wednesday 7th February

CCC Marooners v Hampshire - Friday 9th February

Barbados Pride v Hampshire - Tuesday 13th February

T&T Red Force v Hampshire - Thursday 15th February

Hampshire v Windward Volcanoes -Saturday 17th February

Guyana Jaguars v Kent - Wednesday 31st January

Jamaica Scorpions v Kent - Sunday 4th February

Leeward Islands Hurricanes v Kent - Tuesday 6th Februray

USA v Kent - Thursday 8th February

Guyana Jaguars v Kent - Saturday 10th February

Jamaica Scorpions v Kent - Wednesday 14th February

USA v Kent - Friday 16th February

Leeward Islands Hurricanes v Kent - Sunday 18th February
By chris
PaulTavs wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:20 pm
I do not know if anyone is remotely interested in this, but I am watching the Hampshire game and the coverage is very good.
quality is good, and I like the idea of putting sounds of the countryside on as an audio track. Crowd clearly small.

Does this count as pre-season warm up. Feb 3rd is surely too early, what cricket will they have in the following month? There must be a lack of continuity.
PaulTavs liked this
By PaulTavs
chris wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:24 pm
PaulTavs wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:20 pm
I do not know if anyone is remotely interested in this, but I am watching the Hampshire game and the coverage is very good.
quality is good, and I like the idea of putting sounds of the countryside on as an audio track. Crowd clearly small.

Does this count as pre-season warm up. Feb 3rd is surely too early, what cricket will they have in the following month? There must be a lack of continuity.

Yes, I agree that there is a lack of continuty, especially as the next white ball cricket isn't until May. My guess is that the idea is more to give the players something to do other than being stuck indoors - now that players are contracted year-round, it is a bit of a challenge to occupy their time!

If I got the time difference right, it began at 9am, so not surprising not many in, though the ground looked like nothing more than a (pleasant) club ground.
By LankyShark
“Even though Kent will be playing the USA, which is a great story, the cricket media would rather focus on anyone in the England set-up failing to be in bed by 10pm, while of course the mainstream sports media is more interested in someone signing a loan deal at AFC Fylde.”
PaulTavs. 31 Jan. 0930.

So true, and just another description of the sorry state of the Media. They say we get the politicians we deserve. I guess we also get the journalists we deserve too.
By PaulTavs
LankyShark wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:47 am
So true, and just another description of the sorry state of the Media. They say we get the politicians we deserve. I guess we also get the journalists we deserve too.
Part of me thinks well, why worry, as we enjoy better domestic cricket coverage than ever before - not so long ago the idea of seeing whole live matches transmitted from the West Indies to watch anywhere was the stuff of science fiction, as was commentary on every match.

However, I can't help feeling that county cricket simply doesn't have the same profile in the public consciousness that it enjoyed before. As The Guardian's Daniel Harris succintly puts it, "Once upon a time, a life brought with it time to follow county cricket."

Anyway, back to the cricket, and a fine win for Kent. Not an easy assignment this for both Hampshire and Kent, having to go straight in and compete in the midst of the West Indies' season with no match practice.
By LankyShark
For the cricket fan, the coverage is great. Pretty much everyone can access something and the commentary on the CC matches on the radio is wonderful.

I remember when I had just started work and Lancs were battling for the Championship. The only way I could get an update was to go out at lunchtime down to a phone box and shovel coins into the public phone to listen to John Gwynne’s commentary. With the salary I was on then, I dread to think how much I paid to listen.

But you are right. The public consciousness is virtually zero now. I can’t believe that there are any new cricket people coming along, players or supporters. Why would they? Children of existing fans yes, but no one else seems to have a clue what’s happening or even what cricket is.
PaulTavs liked this
By PaulTavs
Hampshire made a commendable fightback to beat Combined Campuses and Colleges, after having been 15-5 at one stage.

The attendances appear to be minimal, and on one of the games with commentary, someone observed that "the only people who make any money out of cricket in the West Indies are the players" and even many of those playing in this are on short-term contracts that end along with the tournament.
By PaulTavs
Kent looked fired up in impressively beating the Leeward Islands. Their next game is the historic fixture v USA on Thursday - USA haven't looked like winning so far, so it's a must for Kent to win to put themselves right in the mix.

Hampshire meanwhile have a make-or-break game against Windward Islands today.
By PaulTavs
Hampshire were absolutely crushed by Windward islands. From what I have seen their batting has barely got out of second gear.

Once again from the TV shots the audience appeared to be tiny. How the financials are supposed to stack up is anyone's guess.

During yesterday's coverage they ran an ad for the tournament that gave the impression that matches would be like a Caribbean carnival, with laughing Bajan beauties, music and dance long into the night.

The reality looked more like one would be lucky to get a bit of company from the groundsman's cat.

That said, I am enjoying the coverage and greatly appreciate that they have made the effort to broadcast the matches.
By TWrex
Catching up on Kent's match against Guyana after watching the rugby. Main highlight so far is a terrible lbw decision with the ball pitching so wide of leg stump that it was quite amazing that it ended hitting the batsman in line. The poor old umpire will not be happy when he sees that again. Here's hoping Kent get a lot more in their favour like that during the coming county season and we may get our hands on some silverware. Watching the first innings tonight with Kent's reply for viewing tomorrow. Drinks breaks, tea breaks, lunch breaks and of late dinner breaks, I'll be taking a sleep break Mind you if Kent carry on like they have started may all be over very quickly. Guyana 29 f 4 in 12 overs.
By PaulTavs
TWrex wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm
Catching up on Kent's match against Guyana after watching the rugby. Main highlight so far is a terrible lbw decision with the ball pitching so wide of leg stump that it was quite amazing that it ended hitting the batsman in line.
Yes, I saw that, I can only guess that the umpire had a complete lapse in concentration.

So another excellent win for Kent, and with USA doing them a big favour by beating Leeward Islands, it really is in Kent's hands now. They have looked really up for this, and of their 3 reamining games, one, on Friday, is v USA, which they must be fancied to win.

That said, some difficult pitches have made many games tricky, but it is Kent who have adapted to top their group.
By TWrex
The pitch was poor, but it ended up being an being an intriguing match with a tense finish,
thankfully Messrs. Gidman & Tredwell saw it through. More coverage of Kent on Sunday, maybe on the ESPN rather than BT. With the game on Saturday being played in Antigua I wonder why all the adverts were showing the glories of Kent's wonderful beaches? I'm sure I saw glimpses of Leysdown, Herne Bay & Hythe, plus some more I couldn't quite pace. :yes:
GDPR

Hi all, You're probably bored of all the GDPR ema[…]

I've just come across this - which might interest […]

Turnaround needed

One win in three for Essex. All away from home. I […]

Kent v Glamorgan ODC 25 May

Match 4 at lovely Canterbury and a must-win encoun[…]