A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By JamesH
We have signed Billy Root on a 2-year contract, as suggested might happen by a few members on here.

http://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricket ... -root.html

A good signing, or another young player not quite up to scratch? He's had a poor season but averages (just) over 30 in all three formats.

I'm well and truly on the fence with this one. I hear he has a brother who is half decent so perhaps that's worth looking into as well.
By glamman
JamesH wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:15 am
We have signed Billy Root on a 2-year contract, as suggested might happen by a few members on here.

http://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricket ... -root.html

A good signing, or another young player not quite up to scratch? He's had a poor season but averages (just) over 30 in all three formats.

I'm well and truly on the fence with this one. I hear he has a brother who is half decent so perhaps that's worth looking into as well.
Certainly need another signing to bat in top 3 but not easy to find.
By Simon
Need a new captain too. Then Hogan could be used a bit more sparingly. I know he says he neds to keep bowling to maintain his rhythm but we can't keep flogging him at his age. He surely needs to be nursed a little,
By johnwales
Yes I am on the fence as well. Billy normally bats around 6 or 7, and Glamorgan are fairly strong in that area. I would be inclined to appoint him captain, and hope that he picks up some tips from big bruv.

I bet Glamorgan have given him a lucrative deal; he is going to be a long way from home !!
By glamman
johnwales wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 pm
Yes I am on the fence as well. Billy normally bats around 6 or 7, and Glamorgan are fairly strong in that area. I would be inclined to appoint him captain, and hope that he picks up some tips from big bruv.

I bet Glamorgan have given him a lucrative deal; he is going to be a long way from home !!
I am not sure he has the record to (1) justify a big salary and (2) be made captain.
By glamman
Simon wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:18 pm
Need a new captain too. Then Hogan could be used a bit more sparingly. I know he says he neds to keep bowling to maintain his rhythm but we can't keep flogging him at his age. He surely needs to be nursed a little,
It frustrates me a bit when the bowlers say they want to keep playing and then at the end of the season say they have run out of steam. Can't have it both ways.
By johnwales
I feel Glamorgan must have paid out big money to get Billy. Because of his pedigree several counties would have signed him in order to supplement their batting. At Glamorgan he will be required to make big runs, and take wickets, and two lean years could finish his career.
By JamesH
The general feeling on social media from Notts fans is that they're sad to see him go and are wishing him all the best. A good sign I think.
By exileKT8
If it`s not being very bold I predict Root will be better than anything we currently have so is a step in the right direction. Not a Captain or top 3 so I hope there is another signing to follow to fill that big gap.
By djronnieb65
We don’t yet of course whether Root will be a good signing
I will assume he will bat about 4 or 5
We have Cook and Meschede as our 6 and7
We will still need 2 batsmen one an opener and another at 4 depending what happens about Marsh
Selman has to be in the last chance saloon next season as he does not score enough runs as an opener
The other thing is making these signings could mean that there will be little or no change in the coaching department
I wish Root well and it would be great if he scores plenty of runs for us where ever he bats
Information I received from a friend at Nottingham is Root is the type of player who never gives up and always gives 100 percent
One day matches he likes to attack bowling which is why they are sorry to see him go as they like his cameos
We will find out in about 7 months
exileKT8, hujon64 liked this
By glamman
djronnieb65 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:20 pm
We don’t yet of course whether Root will be a good signing
I will assume he will bat about 4 or 5
We have Cook and Meschede as our 6 and7
We will still need 2 batsmen one an opener and another at 4 depending what happens about Marsh
Selman has to be in the last chance saloon next season as he does not score enough runs as an opener
The other thing is making these signings could mean that there will be little or no change in the coaching department
I wish Root well and it would be great if he scores plenty of runs for us where ever he bats
Information I received from a friend at Nottingham is Root is the type of player who never gives up and always gives 100 percent
One day matches he likes to attack bowling which is why they are sorry to see him go as they like his cameos
We will find out in about 7 months
The more I think about it the concern is that Root does not really address our main problem - top order batting. He has only played 14 1st class games at the age of 26. We have to assume they will sign a top 3 batsman so that leaves the XI for the first Champioonship game next season:

Selman or Murphy
AN Other (Capt.)
Marsh - at least early season
Carlson
Root
Lloyd
Cooke
Smith or Meschede
De Lange or Carey or TvdG
Bull - might not need early season if Root bowls some off spin. Could have extra seamer.
Hogan
By johnwales
Bit early to select the first team of the season !! The guy who comes good in the opening game may well be the one who succeeds, as confidence is the lacking ingredient at Glamorgan.
By glamman
johnwales wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm
Bit early to select the first team of the season !! The guy who comes good in the opening game may well be the one who succeeds, as confidence is the lacking ingredient at Glamorgan.
Just pointing out that Root does not address the main problem - the top 3 batting.
exileKT8 liked this
By Nick_Glam
I agree that Root probably doesn't address our problems, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

It seems we have an entire XI who would be suited to batting at 6 or 7, but little else. :lol

Good interview with Matt Walker here, discussing t[…]

Independent external review

This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have b[…]