A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 pm
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm
Virdi of Surrey has his first 5 wkt haul.He also had 2 other 4 wkt hauls. Salter has yet to achieve 4 in an innings, time for a change
The Oval on day 3/4 with your side having posted 430 is a bit different from Sophia Gardens on Day 3 when the opposition need less than 200.
I might pick Bull over Salter as a bowler but Salter is being selected as a batsman more than as a bowler. Again I don't agree with that but that is the defensive line that Croft has said he will be taking this season with the young batting line up.
The only possible ommissions I am expecting for Friday are one of the seamers as part of the rotation policy and maybe Donald has used up one too many lives.
I'd like to know if Connor Brown has been scoring any runs. He only got 4 for Ynysygerwn on Saturday.
Therefore:
Selman
Murphy
Marsh
Carlson
Donald (for lack of other options / ?Lawlor)
Cooke
Lloyd
Salter
TvdG
Carey
Hogan
Basically, a three man attack.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 5:45 pm
glamman wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 pm
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm
Virdi of Surrey has his first 5 wkt haul.He also had 2 other 4 wkt hauls. Salter has yet to achieve 4 in an innings, time for a change
The Oval on day 3/4 with your side having posted 430 is a bit different from Sophia Gardens on Day 3 when the opposition need less than 200.
I might pick Bull over Salter as a bowler but Salter is being selected as a batsman more than as a bowler. Again I don't agree with that but that is the defensive line that Croft has said he will be taking this season with the young batting line up.
The only possible ommissions I am expecting for Friday are one of the seamers as part of the rotation policy and maybe Donald has used up one too many lives.
I'd like to know if Connor Brown has been scoring any runs. He only got 4 for Ynysygerwn on Saturday.
Therefore:
Selman
Murphy
Marsh
Carlson
Donald (for lack of other options / ?Lawlor)
Cooke
Lloyd
Salter
TvdG
Carey
Hogan
Basically, a three man attack.
It's not what I'd do but it seems to be what Croft is happiest with. Quote from Hogan: "We won't be changing a lot at Leicester"
By psychocandy
Iron Mike wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 11:21 am
Further inspection at noon. The crowd is watching grass dry.
Always seems to happen to Glamorgan groundstaff i.e. they screw something up.
By psychocandy
glamman wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:59 pm
My rule about all rounders is that they have to be good enough to be worth a place in the side with one of their skills on its own and then the other one is a bonus. You should not select them because they can bat and bowl a bit. Great all rounders are worth a place in the side for both skills eg Sobers or Kallis.

Lloyd is good enough with the ball to bowl a few overs and try and break a partnership but is not going to do too much other than when the ball is hooping around.
If Salter is not worth his place as a bowler then he has to be selectable on his batting alone. That may be the case given our lack of depth in batting. Personally I don't think he has done much wrong with the ball when asked to perform - it's just that the pitches are not helpful in May.

What lost us this game was the batting yesterday. Kent having first bowl was a big advantage and it was always going to be tough. However the batting conditions were good yesterday and we should have posted a more challenging target.
Over the years Glam have found a multitude of all rounders - can't bat and can't bowl.
By Vetchetarian
psychocandy wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 3:26 pm
glamman wrote:
My rule about all rounders is that they have to be good enough to be worth a place in the side with one of their skills on its own and then the other one is a bonus. You should not select them because they can bat and bowl a bit. Great all rounders are worth a place in the side for both skills eg Sobers or Kallis.

Lloyd is good enough with the ball to bowl a few overs and try and break a partnership but is not going to do too much other than when the ball is hooping around.
If Salter is not worth his place as a bowler then he has to be selectable on his batting alone. That may be the case given our lack of depth in batting. Personally I don't think he has done much wrong with the ball when asked to perform - it's just that the pitches are not helpful in May.

What lost us this game was the batting yesterday. Kent having first bowl was a big advantage and it was always going to be tough. However the batting conditions were good yesterday and we should have posted a more challenging target.
Over the years Glam have found a multitude of all rounders - can't bat and can't bowl.
" Over the years Glam have " had numerous all rounders who COULD bat and bowl, and catch. The likes of Wooller, Watkins, Pressdee, Walker, Ontong, Shastri, etc. Oh how we could do with one of those illustrious gentlemen right now.
By psychocandy
Vetchetarian wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm
psychocandy wrote:
glamman wrote:

" Over the years Glam have " had numerous all rounders who COULD bat and bowl, and catch. The likes of Wooller, Watkins, Pressdee, Walker, Ontong, Shastri, etc. Oh how we could do with one of those illustrious gentlemen right now.
Kallis?

But we've also had a lot who can't but whos names escape me. Not quite good enough a lot of them.
By glamman
psychocandy wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
psychocandy wrote:

Kallis?

But we've also had a lot who can't but whos names escape me. Not quite good enough a lot of them.
In my book Kallis was the greatest all-rounder ever, although I never watched Sobers. Nearly 29,000 Test runs at an average of over 55 and nearly 300 Test wickets at 32.65 each. Not to mention ODI stats. Worth his place in the South Africa team on the basis of both his batting and bowling on their own.
By Vetchetarian
psychocandy wrote:
Vetchetarian wrote:
psychocandy wrote:

Kallis?

Kallis is in the "etc".
Having taken over 1,000 wickets and scored over 10,000 runs, I suppose Croft would also qualify.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm
psychocandy wrote:
Vetchetarian wrote:

Kallis?

In my book Kallis was the greatest all-rounder ever, although I never watched Sobers. Nearly 29,000 Test runs at an average of over 55 and nearly 300 Test wickets at 32.65 each. Not to mention ODI stats. Worth his place in the South Africa team on the basis of both his batting and bowling on their own.
Kallis' figures are quite remarkable, but I would choose Sobers just marginally ahead of him. I haven't checked out Sobers' stats, but I think his ability to bowl fast, spin and cutters, makes him more valuable in the wicket taking department.
I've just checked the respective stats and they are quite awesome. Wiki etc. has them, so no point my reproducing here. Sufficient to say, they both go down as exceptional cricketers.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 4:26 pm
glamman wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 pm
psychocandy wrote:

Kallis?

Kallis' figures are quite remarkable, but I would choose Sobers just marginally ahead of him. I haven't checked out Sobers' stats, but I think his ability to bowl fast, spin and cutters, makes him more valuable in the wicket taking department.
I've just checked the respective stats and they are quite awesome. Wiki etc. has them, so no point my reproducing here. Sufficient to say, they both go down as exceptional cricketers.
My mistake - Kallis faced nearly 29,000 balls in Tests and SCORED 13,289 runs at 55.37.
The End of Test Cricket

The current format of Test Cricket Tours is going […]

2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

Somerset v Glamorgan

The weather seems likely to end up the winner toda[…]

T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]