A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glamman
Kent's progress now reflecting the good conditions presented by clear skies that Glamorgan failed to make the most of yesterday.
By glamman
Are we going to see anything of Salter? Given the ease the batsmen are dealing with the seamers he has to come on soon.
By glamman
To be fair the wicket is pretty flat and nothign much in it for the bowlers. The main failure was the batting yesterday in good conditions. Commentators saying that the players claimed that the bounce was a bit up and down yesterday but I think this is just trying to look for excuses.
By Nick_Glam
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:25 pm
Salter proving to be his usual wicketless self,how he keeps his place is beyond me
I think the two reasons for that are pretty clear.

He is an all rounder and topped the batting averages last year.

We haven't had any other spinning options who would have taken wickets.

They may obviously look to Bull now, but there are problems with the balance of the team no matter what they do.
By notgoingoutreprise
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:40 pm
Salter proving to be his usual wicketless self,how he keeps his place is beyond me

They may obviously look to Bull now, but there are problems with the balance of the team no matter what they do.
Salter is not taking any wickets,and never has,and nobody else is getting a chance
By glamman
Nick_Glam wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:40 pm

The balance of the team is weighted towards including as many of the available batsmen as possible. Cooke as keeper coming in at 6 means that if the batsmen are scoring runs there should be enough of them. Three seamers at 9, 10 and 11 just leaves the 7 and 8 slots. Personally I would have Smith or Meschede in one of them. However it seems likely that they will just stick with Lloyd providing the 4th seam option. Including Bull would not unbalance the side as you would still have Lloyd or Salter coming in at 7. You could include both of them as batsmen and leave out Donald. You should not be selecting bowlers because of the runs they score - a false economy. The top 6 batsmen have the responsibility to score the bulk of the runs. If they don't then you won't win many games.
The question is whether the pitches will be any more helpful for Bull than the ones we have seen so far and whether he would be any more effective than Salter. Seam rules in Championship cricket given the timings of games in the calendar.
exileKT8 liked this
By Iron Mike
Day 3 close
Glamorgan 94 & 274
Kent 174 & 195/4 won by 6 wickets

Another boiling day at the Gardens but a delayed start after the wicket dried out.

Henry took 2 balls in the first full over to get Hulk and his side to make 195 to win. Not impossible to defend however I'm sure we'll set bigger targets.

Try as we might with good tight bowling we just couldn't get the breakthrough as the openers did well. 50 up in the 15th with good work to see off the new ball.

Timm got Bell-Drummond for 36 yet another lbw 77/1. At the same time the sound of the fireworks from Cardiff City stadium was heard.

Dai switched ends to the river and pinned Dickson 39 at 102/2. Clatter required but just didn't come. Huhn raced to his 50 to bring up the tea break at 153/2.

Just 42 to get but loudest cheer of the day when sub Cullen brilliantly caught Denly for Salter for 26 deep in cow corner. Zac Ringrose esque. Dai kept up the ante to get Crawley 11 at 193/ before Stevens fittingly hit the winning runs.

This match seemed to hinge on the run out and a few more runs from elsewhere. A lead of 300+ on a good pitch would have been a different proposition. Small margins again but still a good start to the season. Unbeaten at the two places with Grace gates so hopefully a win at Grace Road next week.
The End of Test Cricket

The current format of Test Cricket Tours is going […]

2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

Somerset v Glamorgan

The weather seems likely to end up the winner toda[…]

T20 Steelbacks

Ok, we're out of the RL Cup and it will need a mir[…]