A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By psychocandy
Positives:-

We got a good 1st innings score then didn't panic and fall to pieces at the end.

Marsh - Quality player. A good signing and not a waste of money like our last overseas player.

Pace bowling attack. Carey looks a good prospect, De Lange is on fire. Hogan will never let us down, VDG another good player. Not sure if Wagg will get in the side too often even if his batting is good.

Lloyd. Good to see a good score from him. I was worried he'd go down the glamorgan all rounder route (can't bat and can't bowl). Not sure about his bowling though.

Negatives:-

Never been a Salter fan. Unsure if his bowling is good enough.

4th/5th bowler. Lloyd, Meschede etc - not sure if good enough.

What I'd like to see:-

Donald come through on the promise hes shown. After seeing him score that 200 at Colwyn Bay a few years hes not done too much.
Vetchetarian liked this
By notgoingoutreprise
psychocandy wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:12 am
Positives:-

We got a good 1st innings score then didn't panic and fall to pieces at the end.

Marsh - Quality player. A good signing and not a waste of money like our last overseas player.

Pace bowling attack. Carey looks a good prospect, De Lange is on fire. Hogan will never let us down, VDG another good player. Not sure if Wagg will get in the side too often even if his batting is good.

Lloyd. Good to see a good score from him. I was worried he'd go down the glamorgan all rounder route (can't bat and can't bowl). Not sure about his bowling though.

Negatives:-

Never been a Salter fan. Unsure if his bowling is good enough.

4th/5th bowler. Lloyd, Meschede etc - not sure if good enough.

What I'd like to see:-

Donald come through on the promise hes shown. After seeing him score that 200 at Colwyn Bay a few years hes not done too much.
Certainly a much better start,hopefully we can kick on.I don't want to pick on Salter, but seriously there must be a better spin option?
By djronnieb65
I am confident about our pace bowling
There is no doubt that we probably got one of the strongest pace attacks in the division
With the wet weather that we have at the moment we should win more matches than lose
My worry is over the very thin spin attack
I’m not convinced that Salter is good enough to cause many problems and in 4 day games the other alternative is Carlson
We have no game changing spin bowler on the books as o see it and that could cause us a problem when the wickets get drier
I’m surprised that we did not sign a first class spinner for this season especially for 4 day cricket as it is obvious for all to see that we badly need one
We only have Ingram for one day cricket now so that could be our undoing in our quest for promotion
We do have some strong batting although we still need to be sure who our opening batsmen are
Selman is one but I’m not sure who the best one is to open with him
By glamman
Regarding opener spot I’m slightly surprised that Murphy is infront of Brown but he has started well.
You only have to look at the England spin bowling options to see how difficult it is for spinners in the Championship. It would be great to have a wicket taking spinner and maybe we will see Bull given a go.
Just one game gone so will wait and see how things progress over next month.
By Welwyn
djronnieb65 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 am
We only have Ingram for one day cricket now so that could be our undoing in our quest for promotion
I disagree, have always thought Salter was a more than capable white-ball spinner, ever since the run to the final in the old 40-over. He just lacks punch in 4-day cricket.
By djronnieb65
Last season and the one before Salter was picked for the team for his fielding and batting
Most one day games he rarely used him as a bowler
He does not impose himself enough and bowls too flat at times which is why Rudolph would not use him
I would love to see him come good this season as we have a glaring weakness in spin bowling
By Welwyn
djronnieb65 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:11 pm
He does not impose himself enough and bowls too flat at times which is why Rudolph would not use him
Don't think bowling flat is a major issue in White-ball cricket and whenever he did bowl, did a good defensive job. I think the issue of not using him much was a deficiency in Rudolph's captaincy as opposed to him not being a good limited-overs bowler.
By Glamorboy
I have belief in Salter, I was disappointed with the way Rudolph set fields for him-largely defensive, and I never recall him ever giving him a short leg for RHB, and unfortunately Hogan appears to continue that trend, though he seems to give him more work than his predecessor. Hopefully his work with Stuart McGill during the winter will pay off this season. He is a valuable contributor as a fielder at gully/backward point, every bit as good as Cosker was, and he is very dependable as a lower order batsman. I hope he gets to play regularly in all formats this year.
By notgoingoutreprise
Glamorboy wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:37 am
I have belief in Salter, I was disappointed with the way Rudolph set fields for him-largely defensive, and I never recall him ever giving him a short leg for RHB, and unfortunately Hogan appears to continue that trend, though he seems to give him more work than his predecessor. Hopefully his work with Stuart McGill during the winter will pay off this season. He is a valuable contributor as a fielder at gully/backward point, every bit as good as Cosker was, and he is very dependable as a lower order batsman. I hope he gets to play regularly in all formats this year.
If Salter couldn't bat he would not be in the team. It probably is a sad fact that we have no alternative,and can't find one good enough to unsurp him :no:
2nd XI

Personally I think it is very disappointing that t[…]

Another 'ton' for Compo

D.C.S.Compton, Dennis to his adoring fans', Compo […]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Royal London One Day Cup

Was hoping for a change of fortunes as a new compe[…]