A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
glamman wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:31 am
How many spinners are taking wickets in Championship cricket given the pitches played on?
However someone has to bowl with the old ball and helps over rate. As I said, if Bull performs well in 2nds maybe bring him in. He was doing well before his back problems. For present I would stick with Salter.
As a front line spinner Salter is probably the worst spinner in history.Can't just have him in the side because he can bat,need to search for a better option,in my opinion
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:21 am
glamman wrote:
How many spinners are taking wickets in Championship cricket given the pitches played on?
However someone has to bowl with the old ball and helps over rate. As I said, if Bull performs well in 2nds maybe bring him in. He was doing well before his back problems. For present I would stick with Salter.
As a front line spinner Salter is probably the worst spinner in history.Can't just have him in the side because he can bat,need to search for a better option,in my opinion
Must admit he hasn't exactly set the world on fire.
By glamman
psychocandy wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:47 am
So how close did they come to going off for light?

Watching score online I thought they had plenty of time but I guess not. Guess this is why Donald hit 4 and 6 to finish it.

So did Glos really try to waste time? Bad form if they did do this. Can imagine this being counter-productive though because the umpires are going to be less keen to go off if they feel one side it taking the p a bit.
From what they said on commentary that is exactly what happened. Under normal circumstances would have gone off.
By glamman
notgoingoutreprise wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:21 am
glamman wrote:
His action looks a lot better after his winter away and in the absence of a better candidate then he will stay in the team. Expect the same squad for Friday with perhaps TvdG giving one of the other seamers a rest.
Nick_Glam liked this
By exileKT8
glamman wrote:
Harmer, Virdi, Critchley, Higgins who I think will be a good signing for Gloucs and would have good for Glammy especially in 1 days. Pitches had some sun and Salter did bowl a lot of overs
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:12 pm
glamman wrote:
Harmer, Virdi, Critchley, Higgins who I think will be a good signing for Gloucs and would have good for Glammy especially in 1 days. Pitches had some sun and Salter did bowl a lot of overs
I am not sure that Higgins has been bowling spin.
By Welwyn
Salter is a much better white-ball bowler than he is in the CC. However, until we get on a pitch that spins I'm happy with him in the team as the spinner is meant as a stock bowler and therefore it's pretty useless having our spinner being a no.11 like Bull.

The other option would be to bowl Carlson as the spinner but I want him concentrating on batting.
Nick_Glam liked this
By exileKT8
Hi Glamman

Higgin`s ESPN page has him as a right arm off break bowler and I sure I read of him taking wickets in their game v Kent with spin. I would love to see a Salter or Bull or Morgan to do well as the seam attack seems well balanced and a lack of spin has pointed out by many on this forum. Salter effectively played T20 last year for his fielding although I have thought he or Mescede could bat higher in the 4 day game. Still early days but so far Murphy, Carlson, Donald and Lloyd have started well, lets hope it continues.
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:27 pm
Hi Glamman

Higgin`s ESPN page has him as a right arm off break bowler and I sure I read of him taking wickets in their game v Kent with spin. I would love to see a Salter or Bull or Morgan to do well as the seam attack seems well balanced and a lack of spin has pointed out by many on this forum. Salter effectively played T20 last year for his fielding although I have thought he or Mescede could bat higher in the 4 day game. Still early days but so far Murphy, Carlson, Donald and Lloyd have started well, lets hope it continues.
I know it says he bowls off spin but I think he also bowls seam and I think that’s what he has been bowling for Gloucestershire. I might be wrong.
By Welwyn
glamman wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:28 pm
exileKT8 wrote:
Hi Glamman

I know it says he bowls off spin but I think he also bowls seam and I think that’s what he has been bowling for Gloucestershire. I might be wrong.
He bowled spin for Middlesex in the One-dayer at Radlett last year but bowled Seam for Gloucestershire in the game last week.

Might be one of those that'll bowl either dependent on conditions.
Welwyn wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:59 am
glamman wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:28 pm
exileKT8 wrote:
Hi Glamman

He bowled spin for Middlesex in the One-dayer at Radlett last year but bowled Seam for Gloucestershire in the game last week.

Might be one of those that'll bowl either dependent on conditions.
Higgins 5 wkts today with seam
By glamman
exileKT8 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:58 pm
I stand corrected. Don`t believe everything you read on ESPN. I would have liked Glammy to have gone for him,
Is doing well for Gloucs but I am not sure he would have been a great fit for us. We have plenty of bowlers who bat.
The discussion about the need for a better spinner just seems a bit irrelevant given the pitches we will be playing most of our games on. Croft has said that the target in Championship cricket is to not lose games and therefore it seems likely we will continue to see Salter coming in at 8 to bolster the batting rather than as an attacking bowling threat. It means that if teams start batting for a long time it is going to lead to a lot of work for the 3 seamers selected. It would have been intersting if De Lange was fit as to whether he would have played instead of Salter but I am not sure he would. If the top 6 start scoring consistently then the approach may change. I still think Smith, Meschede or Wagg have runs in them to bat at 7 or 8. Would be a better balance bringing one of them in in place of a batsman.

Good interview with Matt Walker here, discussing t[…]

Independent external review

This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have b[…]

The cull begins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45491721 One […]