A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
I too have concerns about who is going to watch this.

I am a cricket nut and can walk to the ground from where I live, but I would sooner watch a session of first class cricket than this.

On the face of that is worrying, but like a few on here, I am over 50 and was brought up in a very different era for cricket.

I am going to try and be positive and say that they are not trying to target people like me and will be really looking to get families, women and kids, the majority of whom will be under 40, and many of them will be new to cricket. Plus terrestrial tv coverage will create more interest and exposure.

It needs to be very affordable and I am sure that is the case with the Big Bash.

Also there is no doubt that the 1.5 million a year will be very well received at Glamorgan and hopefully allow us to invest more money in the team and academy projects.
exileKT8, runinthesun liked this
It is not my cup of tea but as you say we should wish it well as it needs to bring in vital cash. My concern is that Cardiff is not going to draw the crowds that the other grounds will. Personally I will be going to the Glamorgan T20 Blast games given the choice.
exileKT8 liked this
glamman wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 am

The BBC website from yesterday (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/43063449) states:
The as yet unnamed tournament will run for an initial five years from 2020 and be played alongside the existing T20 Blast.
It's not very clearly worded.

I am as certain as I can be that by "alongside" they mean the Blast will still exist - not that it will be played concurrently, which would be totally unworkable.
By Ian
glammysupporter wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:08 am
I too have concerns about who is going to watch this.

I am a cricket nut and can walk to the ground from where I live, but I would sooner watch a session of first class cricket than this.

On the face of that is worrying, but like a few on here, I am over 50 and was brought up in a very different era for cricket.

I am going to try and be positive and say that they are not trying to target people like me and will be really looking to get families, women and kids, the majority of whom will be under 40, and many of them will be new to cricket. Plus terrestrial tv coverage will create more interest and exposure.

It needs to be very affordable and I am sure that is the case with the Big Bash.

Also there is no doubt that the 1.5 million a year will be very well received at Glamorgan and hopefully allow us to invest more money in the team and academy projects.

All very true.

I just think that Glamorgan have spent 10 years targeting families, under 40s etc. I don't see who will come to this new tournament that hasn't already come along. Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, I think that running the Blast 'alongside' the new T20, doesn't necessarily mean the same time. I think it means in the same season. I definitely remember reading that the domestic county 50 over tournament will take place at the same time as the new T20, and tbh I'm more likely to watch that.
PaulTavs liked this
Agree I was probably misled by the phrasing- I also thought it was planned to run alongside the 50 over comp.
With regard to the new T20 comp I think the idea is it will be a bigger draw than the current competition in line with the Big Bash. That may work in London where they already get big crowds at Lords and The Oval. If they want the same crowds in Cardiff they will have to price tickets for families accordingly.
Ian wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 pm

I just think that Glamorgan have spent 10 years targeting families, under 40s etc. I don't see who will come to this new tournament that hasn't already come along. Maybe I'm missing something.
Maybe I am as well because this is also what puzzles me.

Advocates of the new competition give very vague and woolly answers to this, saying it will be billed as a big family event, etc. But isn't the Blast billed as this?

Also if we are stripping away the existing core support and trying to gain a new audience for new made-up teams, that is a hell of an ask. Apparently 15,000 people who aren't interested in cricket and never showed any inclination to go to a match will suddenly wake up and think "I know, I'll go to this new cricket competition today".

Australia is different, as the majority of people there already like cricket at least to some degree. I have met many Aussies over recent years, and nearly all of them, men and women, have some cricket interest - and I don't just mean people I have played cricket with.
exileKT8 liked this
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:21 am
chris wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 am
Vetchetarian wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:55 pm

I'm not familiar with the make up of these City teams. Are there any rules laid down that define where the players come from ? Will the Cardiff team be basically a Glamorgan one ?
Of what I have read there will simply be an auction. 15 in a squad of which 3 are overseas. So two factors will be ahead of any rule:

1. will the franchise want any of Glamorgan's players.
2. Will any other franchise want any of Glamorgan's players.

If, for example, the former is true but the latter unlikely, the franchise based at the SWALEC will not have to bid very much on domestic players and so be able to splash out either on overseas players and or one star such as Jos Buttler (if England players are made available).

At a certain point maths comes into the equation.

There are 18 counties say on average 20 domestic players each = 360.
Ther are 8 franchises each will have 12 domestic players = 96
96 players is a little more than an average of 5 players involved from each county.

The rest will be playing RL50 county games
Thanks chris. That's a little clearer. Just a couple of queries, which you may, or may not, be able to answer.

What is the source of the money required to pay for the auctioned players ?

Will the 8 franchises have the same amount of money to spend at the auction ?
Sorry no idea of the source of money, but assume it will come from the TV money which the ECB have secured for the tournament.
It would need to be divided equally otherwise there is no credibility in the tournament.

To me the more interesting question is not the "who will watch" which everyone has wondered for a while. But who will run the teams?
The media releases this week have made it clear that the grounds have been chosen (not the clubs) and that the franchises will be new teams.
But who will run the teams?

Will it still be the 7 County Clubs whose grounds are being used plus Middlesex or will it be completely new franchise structures (with little or no experience of cricket). The latter situation is like the IPL who import the coaches as well as the players - with teams owned by business men and film stars.

Who will coach / select these county's teams in the RL50 if they are also coaching the franchise? Or will someone be flown in from India or Australia to coach a franchise?

Could this be what is behind the strange wording on the Lancashire County Cricket Club's website. They have dropped in a new body: Lancashire Cricket Club from nowhere. Is that a mistake or is that a new entity which will run the existing county cricket club and the franchise (separately).
PaulTavs liked this
Agree with what has been written and there seem to be more questions than answers as you would perhaps expect at this time. If HM thinks its good for Glamorgan then let`s be cautiously optimistic. We all wish to see big crowds at the SWALEC. For me I would rather support a team wearing the Daffodil but they must hope to attract crowds from other than your traditional cricket supporter. Why not a compromise go in with Glos and Somerset, ground share with Bristol and Taunton, and share players plus a couple of imports. Stand alone I wonder is there the enough demand in Wales. More to come....
I will be going. Love cricket in any form and will support this initiative. I want cricket to thrive. I am a fan of Test cricket as the ultimate form of the game. If the T20 is what is on offer, I will support it. Come on, cricket fans!
chris wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:11 pm

But who will run the teams?

Will it still be the 7 County Clubs whose grounds are being used plus Middlesex or will it be completely new franchise structures?

Who will coach / select these county's teams in the RL50 if they are also coaching the franchise? Or will someone be flown in from India or Australia to coach a franchise?
Good question, Chris. the answer as far as I can garner is that this will be on roughly similar lines to when Lancashire hosts an international match - that is that the City sides will have their own coaching teams who have nothing to do with Lancashire, Glamorgan, etc. The county coaches will be engaged in running the county side as normal.

However, presumably the host counties will be involved in some way when it comes to organisation, promotion, staging, etc., just as they are with a Test match - but to what level I don't know.

This raises the important question to put to your clubs - with this tournament running, will Lancashire, Glamorgan, etc. maintain their current level of commitment to the county 1st XI, in terms of the staging of their 50 over cup matches for supporters and the team's standards and success on the field of play?

It already seems that the SWALEC, Old Trafford, etc., will be out of bounds in terms of county use for the duration of the tournament, which means that matches and maybe even player training will have to take place elsewhere. This is why, I believe, Warwickshire have redeveloped the Portland Road ground in order to prepare for this sort of scenario.

By the way, you specifically mention Middlesex. As far as I know they will have zero involvement with, or direct benefit from games at Lord's. As they are only tenants there, it will be the MCC who will work with the staging of the City matches there. Middlesex's position is effectively the same as Northants, Derbyshire, etc., in that they will receive the £1.3 million but have no other involvement.
PaulTavs wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 am

Good question, Chris. the answer as far as I can garner is that this will be on roughly similar lines to when Lancashire hosts an international match - that is that the City sides will have their own coaching teams who have nothing to do with Lancashire, Glamorgan, etc. The county coaches will be engaged in running the county side as normal.

However, presumably the host counties will be involved in some way when it comes to organisation, promotion, staging, etc., just as they are with a Test match - but to what level I don't know.

This raises the important question to put to your clubs - with this tournament running, will Lancashire, Glamorgan, etc. maintain their current level of commitment to the county 1st XI, in terms of the staging of their 50 over cup matches for supporters and the team's standards and success on the field of play?

It already seems that the SWALEC, Old Trafford, etc., will be out of bounds in terms of county use for the duration of the tournament, which means that matches and maybe even player training will have to take place elsewhere. This is why, I believe, Warwickshire have redeveloped the Portland Road ground in order to prepare for this sort of scenario.

By the way, you specifically mention Middlesex. As far as I know they will have zero involvement with, or direct benefit from games at Lord's. As they are only tenants there, it will be the MCC who will work with the staging of the City matches there. Middlesex's position is effectively the same as Northants, Derbyshire, etc., in that they will receive the £1.3 million but have no other involvement.
Thanks Paul,
Back in the day, counties bid for international matches and then had to promote and promote to sell hard to ensure they made a profit. I know the bidding system no longer applies, but clearly counties still have to sell the tickets to ensure they and the ECB are still making money.

So the host counties (maybe including Middlesex rather than the MCC) will presumably be contracted to endlessly promote and stage these matches and either receive a fixed sum or a percentage on top of their £1.3m but where does the franchise fit in? It has to be attractive to them to own a team, so they must want / need the income from the ticket sales, (or will it be the ECB's money to redistribute between the 8 hosts)? Or do the franchise company contract the county to run the ticketing service and promote the matches locally take a cut but they keep the rest?

You are right that it will not only be the counties playing staff which is diluted and diverted from their own side during the summer, which should be important cricketing tine for a county.

I hope someone has thought it through. It will be interesting to see if (purely co-incidentally) the county sides are playing away on the days where the city franchise plays at 'home'.

Or maybe that's why Lancashire have agreed to play Glamorgan at the same time as they are playing a MCCU friendly this April, so that can practice running and organising two 1st team matches on the same day.
My impression is that the clubs who will gain the most from this, at least in the short term, are those not involved with hosting, and in fact the least successful.

Someone like Derbyshire will receive the £1.3 million and will basically just carry on as before. No disrespect to them, but if the tournament was this year, the City sides would hardly be crying out for many of their players.

Someone like Surrey, on the other hand, have to give up their HQ for the whole tournament, help promote and stage the games, and would most likely lose players like Roy, Dernbach, Foakes, Pope, Tom and Sam Curran - so pretty much the heart of their successful 50 over team.
Report today that £1m payment Glamorgan have been promised by the ECB for not hosting a Test match may be unlawful. That would be a big hole in the budget.
Dealings of the ECB looking more and more dodgy following the resignation of Andy Nash. Certainly very little transparency. Reports recently that Taunton and Bristol were promised joint hosting of a T20 franchise.
2nd XI

Personally I think it is very disappointing that t[…]

Another 'ton' for Compo

D.C.S.Compton, Dennis to his adoring fans', Compo […]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Royal London One Day Cup

Was hoping for a change of fortunes as a new compe[…]