A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glammysupporter
As someone who prefers watching 4 day crickets and lives in the Cardiff area and works during the week, the fixttues for next year are very disappointing.

At first glance it looks like there are 3 days of weekend championship cricket in Cardiff.

Not long ago we had 6 games in Cardiff all starting on Wednesday or a Thursday and running in to the weekends.

Then we had Sunday starts for a while which were not ideal, but at least gave you the chance to watch the first day.

Next year we have 3 Monday starts, one Sunday and one Friday.

One of the Mondays is virtually in October.

I thought that in return for losing 2 championship games this year we were going to get more member friendly and consistent starting days, proper time for practice and preparation etc.
By Ian
glammysupporter wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:38 pm
As someone who prefers watching 4 day crickets and lives in the Cardiff area and works during the week, the fixttues for next year are very disappointing.

At first glance it looks like there are 3 days of weekend championship cricket in Cardiff.

Not long ago we had 6 games in Cardiff all starting on Wednesday or a Thursday and running in to the weekends.

Then we had Sunday starts for a while which were not ideal, but at least gave you the chance to watch the first day.

I thought that in return for losing 2 championship games this year we were going to get more member friendly and consistent starting days, proper time for practice and preparation etc.
I couldn't agree more.

I know quite a few working people who have given up membership because of the lack of weekend cricket.

What annoyed me this September was to see 2 home 4 day games starting on a Tuesday (T20 had long finished), with no thought given to starting them on the weekend.

I guess it won't change for 2019, as we await the Big bash of T20 in 2020 as the ECB ludicrously try to layer on another T20 competition
By Vetchetarian
glammysupporter wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:38 pm

Life is cruel isn't it ?

How do you think people living in the Swansea area feel about your dilemma ?

There was a time when Swansea and Cardiff had the same number of Championship games.

Swansea now gets the crumbs off the table.

I wonder why anyone living West of Bridgend bothers with membership.
By glamman
Not been quite the same ground development at St Helens as at Sophia Gardens. Was also going to mention ground drainage but guess the soil at Swansea drains pretty well too.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:52 am
Not been quite the same ground development at St Helens as at Sophia Gardens. Was also going to mention ground drainage but guess the soil at Swansea drains pretty well too.
That's a bit of an understatement there,glam. Has there been any ground development at St. Helen's ?

The Cardiff centric bias re fixtures is symptomatic of how Cardiff has been served down the years with regards development generally. The rest of the country has been virtually ignored.
I'm surprised that the cricket team hasn't been renamed Cardiff CCC. Perhaps that will come in due course.

It does make me smile when Cardiff based supporters complain about their lot.
By glamman
Doesn’t the council own St Helens? Up to them to invest. Glamorgan need to spend any money they have on players.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:33 pm
Doesn’t the council own St Helens? Up to them to invest. Glamorgan need to spend any money they have on players.
St Helen's has always been Council owned. That didn't stop Glamorgan playing as many games there in the past as they did at Cardiff. In fact, if Glam hadn't played at St. Helen's, most of their 'history' wouldn't have taken place.

Someone once said " never forget your roots ". It seems that our friends from the Capital City don't subscribe to that.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 pm
glamman wrote:
St Helen's has always been Council owned. That didn't stop Glamorgan playing as many games there in the past as they did at Cardiff. In fact, if Glam hadn't played at St. Helen's, most of their 'history' wouldn't have taken place.

Someone once said " never forget your roots ". It seems that our friends from the Capital City don't subscribe to that.
The problem is that the ground at St Helens is in disrepair. May have been OK 50 years ago but not in the 21st century.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
glamman wrote:

The problem is that the ground at St Helens is in disrepair. May have been OK 50 years ago but not in the 21st century.
It certainly isn't in the best of health, and that's not in dispute. You are missing the point, but hey ho, let's move on.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 pm
glamman wrote:
Vetchetarian wrote:

It certainly isn't in the best of health, and that's not in dispute. You are missing the point, but hey ho, let's move on.
Your wish is that Glamorgan play more games in Swansea - I am explaining why they don't.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:45 pm
glamman wrote:

Your wish is that Glamorgan play more games in Swansea - I am explaining why they don't.
Wrong. I have no such wish, since I have become indifferent to where Glam play. But I suspect that others do, i.e., those members who live in the Swansea area and have supported their team through thick, but mostly thin, times.

You didn't need to explain anything, since I am fully aware of the status quo.

My initial post was in response to Cardiff based people moaning about a lack of games at Cardiff.

As I said, you missed the point and are still missing it. But hey ho, just so long as Cardiff gets all the cake.
By ffynnongarw
Strange but when I first became a member 50 years ago I could never accept why Swansea always hosted the touring teams. Australia never played at Cardiff. The fixtures were never shared with Cardiff.
With sponsorship and commercial activities essential to Glam surviving it makes sense to focus on Wales's capital and largest city. Also St Helens is a dump.
By Vetchetarian
ffynnongarw wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:48 pm
Strange but when I first became a member 50 years ago I could never accept why Swansea always hosted the touring teams. Australia never played at Cardiff. The fixtures were never shared with Cardiff.
With sponsorship and commercial activities essential to Glam surviving it makes sense to focus on Wales's capital and largest city. Also St Helens is a dump.
"Strange " that I clearly remember Glam playing touring sides at Cardiff over Whitsun Bank Holiday, and Swansea over the August Bank Holiday.
This came about because the other Counties played their local derbies on those dates. Since Glam didn't have anyone to play, the touring teams happily stood in.
So, you are quite wrong in your assertion.

As regards St Helens being " a dump ", it's where most of Glamorgan CCC history was made, so it's a very famous "dump". It had lots of character, soul and personality, unlike the present set up in Cardiff, which is a different kind of " dump ", and somewhere I avoid.

If you want to see some "dumps" I could walk you around the fringes of Cardiff. :)
By ffynnongarw
Australia never played st Cardiff. As for history, I was at Cardiff when they clinched 1969 Championship, big part of their history. As for dump areas of Cardiff. I see little point debating with the classis Swansea chip on the shoulder. I know how every independent assessment rates the merit of the two cities.
2nd XI

2nd XI getting in a strong position in their frien[…]

The End of Test Cricket

The current format of Test Cricket Tours is going […]

In's & outs

Who is out & who is coming in for next season.[…]

Sussex v Glamorgan

Nice trip then to the south east cost for game thi[…]