A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By bobbly4
Giving the small pool of available players and Glamorgan's relatively restricted budget, it seems unlikely that our next overseas signing will be an opening bat.

If this proves to be the case it would be worthwhile looking to sign Jaik Mickleborough. Released this year by Essex, he has been playing for Suffolk. Influential in several of their victories, he has been opening the batting and scoring runs. At 26 years of age he is still young and hungry I guess to get back to Championship cricket and make a mark.
By Iron Mike
bobbly4 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:06 am
Giving the small pool of available players and Glamorgan's relatively restricted budget, it seems unlikely that our next overseas signing will be an opening bat.

If this proves to be the case it would be worthwhile looking to sign Jaik Mickleborough. Released this year by Essex, he has been playing for Suffolk. Influential in several of their victories, he has been opening the batting and scoring runs. At 26 years of age he is still young and hungry I guess to get back to Championship cricket and make a mark.
Hmm. Why was he released and would he want to come to Cardiff if settled the other side of the country?
By exileKT8
Fair shout bobbly, just because Mickleborough couldn`t get in at the top of Essex`s order doesn`t mean he is a bad player. I think he has scored some runs against us in the past not that that should be a benchmark. I did wonder about him when Essex released him.

If by common agreement Glammy need 2/3 top order batsmen then those released by Div 1 counties or sides with strong batting line ups may still do a good job for us, e.g. Selman was unlikely to break through at Kent but has been ok for Glammy with the hope he will improve.

I guess Bell and Trott would be way too expensive but where are they going to play next year. As I said before it would nice to pick up another Alan Butcher
By glamman
How did we miss getting our hands on Jennings? Surely as a South African Glamorgan would have been his 1st choice. :) :)
By exileKT8
On his form this year wouldn`t add anything and doubtless will be asking high wages wherever he goes. It is reported that he will go to Notts subject to them promoted, so he doesn`t lack self confidence.
By glamman
It is said he is going to Lancashire.
Opening at the Riverside is not easy with the ball moving about a bit.
By glamman
Chris Nash to Notts. He only scored 578 runs at an average of 27.52 in Div 2 last year so an interesting move. At 34 he is not a youngster.
By exileKT8
When I saw Nash was available I wondered whether he would come to us, especially if offered a captaincy role (before Hogan announcement), Would he be more expensive than an overseas or indeed Rudolph was ? A proven county cricketer but leaving Sussex after 2 years of a 3 year contract and having a testimonial this year leaves a bad taste. Perhaps another person who has fallen out with Rob Andrew
By uskexile
I think Sussex's coach Mark Davis was the reason for Nash leaving. Seemingly Davis went to see Nash at his house, offered him the captaincy which he accepted and then next day withdrew the offer. Bound to leave a bad taste so I can see why Nash left before the end of his contract. I don't think Nash played that much first class cricket last year because Davis wanted to see his plan through after signing a lot of Kolpaks.

Whilst I rate Nash and he plays well in all three formats I find it hard to believe he would ever come to us. He's teamed back up with Peter Moores who he knows well. Notts have lost Lumb so Nash will probably fit in well.

Meanwhile as usual the other counties are getting their house in order and making signings and not a word from Glamorgan. Anyone heard any rumours?
By exileKT8
Thanks Usk, interesting background, yes agree highly unlikely to ever cross Severn Bridge unless offered a salary larger than Glammy can probably afford.
By glamman
Yes. Hope he has more luck than the overseas batsmen we have signed in recent years.
By exileKT8
Good news, especially if he is close to Hogan. Higher profile than I expected, but if he is in the current Aus squad how much are Glammy going to see of him.
Will Bragg retires.

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42082869 I had a snea[…]

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Overseas activities

I've noticed that some Glamorgan players have been[…]

Unacceptable behaviour.

Stokes. Bairstow. Duckett. Just what is going on […]