A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By otis
Why have we signed a middle order batsman when we need openers?
By Ger27
otis wrote:Why have we signed a middle order batsman when we need openers?
Because neither Wagg or Salter should be going out to bat at number 6.

To be fair, I'm sure they would have preferred an opener, but top order batsmen don't grow on trees (which is why it's worrying that we need to find two or three of them for next season!).
exileKT8 liked this
By sixandout
otis wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:06 pm
It's not why we have signed a middle order batsman, but why have we signed another South African, perhaps we should play our home matches in Cape Town.
When Hugh Morris became CEO he stated he wanted to make Glamorgan a team of mostly Welsh players, at present there are 6 South Africans, 2 Australians, 1 Dutch and 1 Englishman available. That leaves 1 place for a Welsh born player. The number of Welsh players has reduced during his tenure, and the club is still languishing in the second division. Its about time the committee started asking questions about what's going on, and what the coaching staff are doing to improve the intake of talented young Welsh players.
By otis
P.S.
And our coaching staff are not good enough to improve the quality of the intake of young Welsh players.
By Vetchetarian
sixandout wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:05 pm
otis wrote:
It's not why we have signed a middle order batsman, but why have we signed another South African, perhaps we should play our home matches in Cape Town.
When Hugh Morris became CEO he stated he wanted to make Glamorgan a team of mostly Welsh players, at present there are 6 South Africans, 2 Australians, 1 Dutch and 1 Englishman available. That leaves 1 place for a Welsh born player. The number of Welsh players has reduced during his tenure, and the club is still languishing in the second division. Its about time the committee started asking questions about what's going on, and what the coaching staff are doing to improve the intake of talented young Welsh players.
This partly explains my ambivalence towards Glamorgan C.C.C. I find it difficult to relate to all the non Welsh players. That, coupled with the fact that the vast majority of home games are played in Cardiff. So much so, that they could actually change the name of the team to Cardiff C.C., and be done with it.
There's precious little 'Glamorgan' about us at the moment.
otis liked this
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:54 pm
sixandout wrote:
otis wrote:
This partly explains my ambivalence towards Glamorgan C.C.C. I find it difficult to relate to all the non Welsh players. That, coupled with the fact that the vast majority of home games are played in Cardiff. So much so, that they could actually change the name of the team to Cardiff C.C., and be done with it.
I'm afraid you are living in the last century. The club has little choice but to play most of their games at the SWALEC given the amount of money invested in the stadium. Responsibility for that white elephant and the failure to invest properly in the cricket-side of the organisation falls to Paul Russell and Co. The desire to host an Ashes Test seemed to override all common sense. However we are where we are. The positive is that we have a Test match venue and puts us in a stronger position than our neighbours should there ever be a drive to reduce the number of 1st class counties - something I personally think is necessary given the number of overseas players counties have to recruit. The T20 franchise system could be considered a step down that route.
It is unfortunate that Glamorgan cannot attract bigger gates but that will only happen if they start to win more which in turn is handicapped by the financial problems caused by the ground development - a Catch 22 problem. :)
lovecricket liked this
By otis
glamman wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
sixandout wrote:

I'm afraid you are living in the last century. The club has little choice but to play most of their games at the SWALEC given the amount of money invested in the stadium. Responsibility for that white elephant and the failure to invest properly in the cricket-side of the organisation falls to Paul Russell and Co. The desire to host an Ashes Test seemed to override all common sense. However we are where we are. The positive is that we have a Test match venue and puts us in a stronger position than our neighbours should there ever be a drive to reduce the number of 1st class counties - something I personally think is necessary given the number of overseas players counties have to recruit. The T20 franchise system could be considered a step down that route.
It is unfortunate that Glamorgan cannot attract bigger gates but that will only happen if they start to win more which in turn is handicapped by the financial problems caused by the ground development - a Catch 22 problem. :)
Other counties have invested in their H.Q. to bring them up to test standards but still share their games around out grounds, we can't blame PR for shambles at Cardiff CCC today!
Any ideas who will stand down for DM?
By glamman
otis wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:40 am
glamman wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:34 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:

Other counties have invested in their H.Q. to bring them up to test standards but still share their games around out grounds, we can't blame PR for shambles at Cardiff CCC today!
Any ideas who will stand down for DM?
Far fewer games played at out grounds. Middx play more than others but they have no investment in Lords. Other issue is if T20s played in evenings then need floodlights.

Expect Lloyd to be replaced by Miller and Rudolph to move up to open.
By otis
I remember when we played 10 Welsh players. Not many seasons ago.
By Shamu
Ŵallace, Harrison, Maynard, Harris, Rees, Powell, Cherry, Waters, Croft, Cosker - 2008/9 ?
By lovecricket
otis wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:48 pm
There are NO talented young Welsh players.
That's not true. There is talent. The talent isn't currenly being realised. Donald is talented. Carey is talented and done fine in his first season playing CC. Carlson showed last season he has talent with some excellent all round play, they don't seem to know what role to give him this season.
Iron Mike liked this

The South Wales Cricket Premier League comes to it[…]

Ticket info for Wed

NatWest T20 Blast Quarter-Final at The SSE SWALEC […]

T20 final group matches

Three to go after a good win yesterday. Leics on F[…]

It seems that the size of Kleinveldt is beginning […]