A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By glammysupporter
I am not overly exicited about this signing, but we are going to be extremely restricted as to who we can sign.

He has obviously got some taent, and he is going to benefit from playing regularly and also should find the second division easier.

Agree with Glaman, It is critical that the other signing is an established top 3 player and not a punt.

Stepehn Cook anyone? - scored 188 in his first innings in SA after scoring 120 runs in 8 innings for us.

We also need to sort the official overseas slot out and if Marsh starts then we need a replacement lined up.
By hujon64
I know very little of Root so thanks for everyone’s input. Good that he can play all 3 formats and appears to have an excellent attitude so feeling hopeful. Now await the ‘top’ batsman which we need.
By johnwales
Good point made by Glammysupporter about finding it easier in the 2nd division.
If we cannot find another opener, perhaps it would be a good idea to play him in that position. Even if he failed dismally I would expect him to at least average mid 20's.
By glamman
glammysupporter wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am
I am not overly exicited about this signing, but we are going to be extremely restricted as to who we can sign.

He has obviously got some taent, and he is going to benefit from playing regularly and also should find the second division easier.

Agree with Glaman, It is critical that the other signing is an established top 3 player and not a punt.

Stepehn Cook anyone? - scored 188 in his first innings in SA after scoring 120 runs in 8 innings for us.

We also need to sort the official overseas slot out and if Marsh starts then we need a replacement lined up.
It was unrealistic to expect much more from Cook coming over at short notice from his off-season. Doesn't mean he is not a good player and might be able to do a job for us.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:17 pm
glammysupporter wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:13 am

It was unrealistic to expect much more from Cook coming over at short notice from his off-season. Doesn't mean he is not a good player and might be able to do a job for us.
"It was unrealistic to expect much more from Cook.... "

Jeez, that's really letting him, and those responsible for signing him, off the hook.

No doubt he was paid a very generous salary, plus travel, accommodation, and goodness knows what else, and I for one, would have had HIGH expectations of him scoring more than 120 runs from 8 visits to the crease.

His overall performance was execrable, and he should have been embarrassed to pick up his pay cheque.

It's all a matter of standards , I guess, and mine are clearly far too high.
By glammysupporter
I am not sure it is about standards.

We identified him as someone who might be available, we made him an offer and he accepted it.

Thankfully as a responsible employer, Glamorgan would have honoured his contract in full because thats they way it works.

I am sure everyone, and most of all Cook himself, will have been dosappointed with his performances, but that does not make him a bad player.

In truth he should have been signed before the trip to Hove and would have played a couple more matches and might have found some form.

As Glamman said, it was a risky strategy given that he had not played for quite a while.

My view is that anyone with a career spanning 17 years and almost 15000 runs deserves to be judged on that career span rather than a bad month.

If his attitude was good with the youngsters and he was good in the dressing room he might be in the frame to come back, even possibly as captain.
glamman, Simon liked this
By Vetchetarian
glammysupporter wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:53 pm
I am not sure it is about standards.

We identified him as someone who might be available, we made him an offer and he accepted it.

Thankfully as a responsible employer, Glamorgan would have honoured his contract in full because thats they way it works.

I am sure everyone, and most of all Cook himself, will have been dosappointed with his performances, but that does not make him a bad player.

In truth he should have been signed before the trip to Hove and would have played a couple more matches and might have found some form.

As Glamman said, it was a risky strategy given that he had not played for quite a while.

My view is that anyone with a career spanning 17 years and almost 15000 runs deserves to be judged on that career span rather than a bad month.

If his attitude was good with the youngsters and he was good in the dressing room he might be in the frame to come back, even possibly as captain.
If our new batsman reads these posts he will now be aware that he can get away with doing next to nothing for his money, and gain friends, all eager to make excuses for him, along the way.

Cook's achievements prior to arriving at Glamorgan had no bearing whatsoever on his future performances. You can't live in the past.

Perhaps Glam's leaders should have approached the 4 sides he failed against to sort of gratuitously increase his runs scored as a result of his previous form. :)

He was an abject failure, and excuses just don't cut it for me.

Just my opinion, of course, others are available.
By exileKT8
You would think the main reason for bringing Cook over for those last 4 games when the season had long gone was for Glammy to have a look at him and he look at us to see if it could be a good fit as a Kolpak or indeed overseas next season. He could address top 3 problems.
By Vetchetarian
exileKT8 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:37 pm
You would think the main reason for bringing Cook over for those last 4 games when the season had long gone was for Glammy to have a look at him and he look at us to see if it could be a good fit as a Kolpak or indeed overseas next season. He could address top 3 problems.
The question as I see it exile, is, did Cook do sufficient on and off the field to justify offering him a contract for the next few seasons ?

Not being au fait with his off the field activities, viz, dressing room charisma, assisting young batsmen, etc., I am unable to comment, other than the fact that all our young batsmen struggled most of the time, before he arrived, and after. I would therefore hasten to add that his presence, seemingly, had little effect.

On the playing side, the figures speak for themselves.

I don't think he should be asked to come back, but I do respect your valued, contrary, opinion..
By exileKT8
Good morning Vetch

120 runs in 8 innings is hardly a glowing testimonial, as I said on here before his red ball figures for Durham were not great, boosted as they were by a highest score not out v Glamorgan. In the 50 over game he did better.

Apart from the first innings v Leics not much evidence that he raised the performance of others, however there were comments on here from those who saw him in the flesh that he looked to have some authority when in the middle.

If the Rand is still weak the finances might be similar to getting a experienced county pro, if he thinks his test days are over then I think Cook would be a good shout as a kolpak and judge him on a full season. Both parties have had those four matches to look at each other let`s trust in our management to make the right call :no: :pray:
Vetchetarian liked this
By Vetchetarian
exileKT8 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:15 am
Good morning Vetch

120 runs in 8 innings is hardly a glowing testimonial, as I said on here before his red ball figures for Durham were not great, boosted as they were by a highest score not out v Glamorgan. In the 50 over game he did better.

Apart from the first innings v Leics not much evidence that he raised the performance of others, however there were comments on here from those who saw him in the flesh that he looked to have some authority when in the middle.

If the Rand is still weak the finances might be similar to getting a experienced county pro, if he thinks his test days are over then I think Cook would be a good shout as a kolpak and judge him on a full season. Both parties have had those four matches to look at each other let`s trust in our management to make the right call :no: :pray:
And a very good morning to you as well, exile. Hope it's not too wet where you are.

Last season was such a shocker, I still cannot believe how bad Glam were.
I don't think Croft announcing that T20 was the main target helped very much.

Still waiting on the review. It's due today, and I can't wait. :)

I wonder how much the review has cost, especially when any number of regular posters herein could have been invited to carry out the job, and done it free of charge.

Good interview with Matt Walker here, discussing t[…]

Independent external review

This has been done by Huw Bevan whose roles have b[…]