A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By exileKT8
It was presumably the same Glamorgan management who sided with Rudolph who are there now so I think Radford would be quite entitled to give a very short two word answer to any approach.

On the other hand IF there is change it could be a great opportunity for a Coach to enhance his CV as there is massive scope for improvement you would think.

Will refresh my memory of 2007, worse than now would seem to take some doing.

Perhaps should buy Richard Swason
By exileKT8
Sorry, last sentence should read perhaps Croft should buy Dawson the Gloucs coach a beer tonight and ask him how to put out a side with only two born overseas and only two from other counties, one the same player and outplay us.
By glamman
Things did seem to be moving in the right direction with Radford and I would be happy with him at the helm. There must be things we don’t know in regard to his leaving. Not sure if he would want to return.
By johnwales
At the end of the day, Glamorgan not only want a clear out of most batsmen, but also the management. What a stupid decision to offer a short term contract to Cooke, did they not realise he had not played one single game since March. It would have been better to persevere with the 'duck boys' in the hope that a couple of them would come good.

As for next season is Paul Collingwood genuinely retiring, or have Durham pensioned him off. We could do no better than offering him a red ball contract. Then how about Ross Taylor, could he be tempted ?

Much of the above is rubbish jargon which will not make sense. But they are the words of a desperate Glamorgan supporter who has followed the county for over 60 years. What I would give to see the likes of Parkhouse, Hedges, Presdee , walker and Watkins in the line up. Our present squad is an insult to their memory.

Amen
By Vetchetarian
johnwales wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 pm
At the end of the day, Glamorgan not only want a clear out of most batsmen, but also the management. What a stupid decision to offer a short term contract to Cooke, did they not realise he had not played one single game since March. It would have been better to persevere with the 'duck boys' in the hope that a couple of them would come good.

As for next season is Paul Collingwood genuinely retiring, or have Durham pensioned him off. We could do no better than offering him a red ball contract. Then how about Ross Taylor, could he be tempted ?

Much of the above is rubbish jargon which will not make sense. But they are the words of a desperate Glamorgan supporter who has followed the county for over 60 years. What I would give to see the likes of Parkhouse, Hedges, Presdee , walker and Watkins in the line up. Our present squad is an insult to their memory.

Amen
The signing of Cook smacked of desperation, and has proved, so far, to have been a pointless one. I criticised the appointment after his first game where he failed in both innings, only to be told that I was being " unfair " to him.
Well, he has subsequently failed in the next two innings, and has an average of just over 11 from 4 knocks. He sits one place above Aneurin Donald in the Div.2 batting averages. My case rests. :)

Collingwood is a fine cricketer, but I doubt he would want to come to Wales.

I share your despair, John, as do most other posters.

With regards your brief list of players from yesterday, where is Willie Jones ? :)
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:18 am
johnwales wrote:

Amen
The signing of Cook smacked of desperation, and has proved, so far, to have been a pointless one. I criticised the appointment after his first game where he failed in both innings, only to be told that I was being " unfair " to him.
Well, he has subsequently failed in the next two innings, and has an average of just over 11 from 4 knocks. He sits one place above Aneurin Donald in the Div.2 batting averages. My case rests. :)

With regards your brief list of players from yesterday, where is Willie Jones ? :)
If part of the reason for signing him was that we are considering him for next season, then I disagree that it was pointless. Maybe it won't work out, but we did the right thing in trying something else.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
johnwales wrote:

Amen

The reason you were being unfair to him was that it was unrealistic to expect him to come from his off season and score runs. If the Glamorgan staff expected any different then they are the ones at fault. Will be interesting to see if he hangs around for next season.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:02 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
johnwales wrote:

Amen

The reason you were being unfair to him was that it was unrealistic to expect him to come from his off season and score runs. If the Glamorgan staff expected any different then they are the ones at fault. Will be interesting to see if he hangs around for next season.
I presume he was drawing full salary whilst he was getting his eye back in.
I make no apology for criticising Cook. If he didn't think he was up to the task, well, he could have said as much, or waived his pay packet until such time as he was in the right frame of mind.
johnwales liked this
By glamman
I’m afraid you have a rather bizarre insight into employing people. The risk was taken by the club. Cook could be back in South Africa going through his preseason there. He didn’t ask to play here.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:23 pm
I’m afraid you have a rather bizarre insight into employing people. The risk was taken by the club. Cook could be back in South Africa going through his preseason there. He didn’t ask to play here.
I've never been an employer, but I have been employed in the workplace, principally in Management, for more years than I care to remember.
I've seen people sacked for doing more than Cook.

It's a pity that he isn't " back in South Africa ", since his performances to date, and I know he is only 50% of the way through his short contract, have been abysmal. He is getting money under false pretenses when you consider he was employed to, a) score runs, b) inspire and teach younger players, c) be a major contributor into the well being/good feelings in the dressing room.
He has clearly failed in a); doubtful that he has inspired anybody, c) I am unable to comment on this one.

I have nothing against Cook, but his appointment has been another expensive mistake, and I feel fully justified in criticising him.

Making excuses for his ineffective performances, I leave to others.

Perhaps YOU have " a rather bizarre insight " into what an employee is expected to do.

You have already intimated that he had not played for quite a while, and that expectations should be watered down. I don't go along with that.
johnwales liked this
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm

I've never been an employer, but I have been employed in the workplace, principally in Management, for more years than I care to remember.

It's a pity that he isn't " back in South Africa ", since his performances to date, and I know he is only 50% of the way through his short contract, have been abysmal. He is getting money under false pretenses when you consider he was employed to, a) score runs, b) inspire and teach younger players, c) be a major contributor into the well being/good feelings in the dressing room.
He has clearly failed in a); doubtful that he has inspired anybody, c) I am unable to comment on this one.

I have nothing against Cook, but his appointment has been another expensive mistake, and I feel fully justified in criticising him.

Perhaps YOU have " a rather bizarre insight " into what an employee is expected to do.

You have already intimated that he had not played for quite a while, and that expectations should be watered down. I don't go along with that.
Out of interest, did you watch the Gloucester game?
By Vetchetarian
Nick_Glam wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:29 pm
Vetchetarian wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:44 pm

Out of interest, did you watch the Gloucester game?
Not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs.

Cook has scored 45 runs in 4 innings.
By Nick_Glam
Vetchetarian wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Not sure what that has to do with the price of eggs.

Cook has scored 45 runs in 4 innings.
So that's a no I presume. :lol

Obviously Cook needs to score more runs, but you seem to be suggesting that a player can be judged solely on stats from two games without even watching them? What I actually question most though is that you described his performances in both games as "abysmal". Not his stats, but his performances.

Now having actually watched the Gloucester game, I would say that definitely wasn't an "abysmal" performance. The other top order batsmen were all dismissed before him and were lucky to survive as long as they did in some cases. Cook's performance was at least that of a professional cricketer and he was dismissed twice by a very good bowler in difficult conditions. Disappointing, but hardly abysmal.

Anyway, as others have mentioned it is presumably with next season in mind that he is here. And it may be that it doesn't work out, but he is exactly the kind of signing that the club need to be making for next year. Something tells me that if they'd stuck solely with the struggling youngsters, they would be getting at least as much criticism.
By glamman
The bottom line seems to be that there is no money to pay for the players we need. If that is the case then we are stuck. Sponsors are hardly going to be beating the door down. Unless one of us wins the lottery and is feeling generous then I am afraid there will be more pain and even if we do develop a few players they aren’t going to want to hang around.
By lonwel93
I have not been on here for some time, very rarely get to see the team play but the county is in my blood and my heart.

There are those on here who were screaming for the kids to be played. Some may be regretting that BUT Surrey's policy was to promote from within and add outsiders. History. But they expected pain along the way. Our young players will make it (mostly) but they need to have the senior players at the top of their game. Our young players have the advantage of a batting consultant who does not appear to attract criticism on here.

Still on to Kent. Can Callum Taylor and maybe a young seamer be selected or would that not be sensible? One thing I have noticed with the 2nd XI is the batting order is innovative...tailenders opening the innings and the like and frequent captaincy changes Still say more 4 day games would be beneficial.(Not just for the Seconds!!!)
promotion

there you go i have said it! we are going to be i[…]

Steven Crook

Is retiring at the end of the season. The right de[…]

Oli Stone

Leg side Lizzy - cricket reporter for print and BB[…]

Away v Gloucs

Finally, Rob Newton is back and, unsurprisingly, d[…]