A forum for Glamorgan CCC fans
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:32 am
Vetchetarian wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:27 am
Welwyn wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:12 am
Nick_Glam has made a good point about Bragg's retirement at least freeing up wages that could go to an opening bat.

Who do we actually think is available, affordable & willing to play for us?
A current Aussie batsman signing for Glamorgan really surprised me. Didn't anybody else want him ?
He must be on a very attractive salary, etc.
Would be mates with Hogan.
There's that, of course. Couldn't wish for a better mate than Hogan, who is quite exceptional.
Perhaps Glam had the only vacancy, and he was keen to play in the cold and wet. :)
By glamman
Not a tough decision for Carlson to sign for the next 3 years as he will be at Cardiff Uni at least until then and maybe another year as I think Civil Engineering tends to be a 4 year course.
By Vetchetarian
glamman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:32 pm
Not a tough decision for Carlson to sign for the next 3 years as he will be at Cardiff Uni at least until then and maybe another year as I think Civil Engineering tends to be a 4 year course.
How times have changed.
I did 5 years, 3 nights a week of night school, persuing HNC Building/City and Guilds to become a Quantity Surveyor. Working full time, of course.

No time to oil a bat let alone play a game. :)

Good luck to him. Let's hope he has a long and fruitful career with Glamorgan.
By glamman
Vetchetarian wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm
glamman wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:32 pm
How times have changed.
I did 5 years, 3 nights a week of night school, persuing HNC Building/City and Guilds to become a Quantity Surveyor. Working full time, of course.

No time to oil a bat let alone play a game. :)

Good luck to him. Let's hope he has a long and fruitful career with Glamorgan.
At least with cricket a lot of the season is during the holidays.
By glamman
Batting averages do not always tell the full story. Dawid Malan is looking pretty good in Test cricket but I note he is only averaging 37.3 in 1st class cricket.
By glamman
I wonder if the adage "No news is good news" will hold true???????????

I was hunting out my kit over Xmas in case I was called upon to bat in the top 5 early season. :lol :lol :lol
By glamman
I see that Harris has just extended his contract at MIddx.

Still no news as to who might be coming to Glamorgan. I guess there is the problem of not yet knowing whether Marsh will get an IPL contract. My worry is that by the time that is sorted out there will be little time to recruit anyone. I suppose there will be some IPL rejects. The auction is on 27th/28th January and the competition starts around 2nd April.
By Shamu
“I see that Harris has just extended his contract at Mlddx”

Shame, had heard he was being lined up for a return in 2019 with the carrot of the captaincy being offered as an added inducement. Now looks as if he’ll see out his career at Lord’s.
exileKT8 liked this
By glamman
Shamu wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 pm
“I see that Harris has just extended his contract at Mlddx”

Shame, had heard he was being lined up for a return in 2019 with the carrot of the captaincy being offered as an added inducement. Now looks as if he’ll see out his career at Lord’s.
I find that very hard to believe. I am not sure Harris has any captaincy credentials.
By Shamu
Glamman
Perhaps you need to do some research and speak to people in the know before commenting on matters you clearly know little about.
By glamman
Shamu wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm
Glamman
Perhaps you need to do some research and speak to people in the know before commenting on matters you clearly know little about.
Obviously you have a hot line to the top. They must be feeding you misinformation.
I much prefer to have a batsman as captain. Bowlers can either over or under bowl themselves and seam bowlers should be rested occasionally.
By Ger27
Hugh Morris confirms that we'll be signing a replacement for Marsh for the early part of the season, as well as a t20 overseas player. Nothing else.

Never known a team to do well in the County Championship with only one opening batsman in their squad. Bottom 3 and another season of being 30-2 more often than not on the cards!
By glamman
Ger27 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 am
Hugh Morris confirms that we'll be signing a replacement for Marsh for the early part of the season, as well as a t20 overseas player. Nothing else.

Never known a team to do well in the County Championship with only one opening batsman in their squad. Bottom 3 and another season of being 30-2 more often than not on the cards!
It seems likely that Marsh is going to have very limited availability throughout the summer. I think we effectively have no overseas player at the moment and will be picking up the scraps. It also seems likely that Brown and Carlson are going to be unavailable for a number of early season games so the batting will be:
Selman
Lawlor
Murphy
Donald
Cooke
Lloyd
Salter
Meschede
TvdG
Carey
Hogan

Mmmm.
By Ian
glamman wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:52 am
Ger27 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 am

It seems likely that Marsh is going to have very limited availability throughout the summer. I think we effectively have no overseas player at the moment and will be picking up the scraps. It also seems likely that Brown and Carlson are going to be unavailable for a number of early season games so the batting will be:
Selman
Lawlor
Murphy
Donald
Cooke
Lloyd
Salter
Meschede
TvdG
Carey
Hogan

Mmmm.
I'm sorry to say it but that's a bottom of the table batting line up.

It seems that the club hierarchy have given up on 4 day cricket. From the start of 2017, we have lost Bragg and Ingram, we now have 2 doing university exams, and limited availability for Marsh, Rudolph's replacement.

It's all about t20 now, still as long as we get one of the 8 franchise teams (Leeks or Dragons anyone?) then no doubt the club will be delighted.

I've seen this one on quite a few other forums and[…]

Ashes debacle.

Are we all lost for words? My opinion is we haven[…]

Jim Allenby

I came across this interesting article yesterday .[…]

Opening batsman

Giving the small pool of available players and Gla[…]